Newbie Needs Help

csmoot

Ok I have not officially introduced myself but here I am. :) I have been lurking for these past couple of months and I have been soaking up an immense amount of knowledge from you ladies. I need some advice.
Sorry for the length.

I have been prepooing my hair every week with Motions CPR or ORS Mayo. Then I go to the Dominican shop and I get a set and only my roots blown out. I get a DC with Alter Ego garlic conditioner (mainly bc I was experiencing shedding-it has basically stopped). My hair seems thicker than it has been but my hair seems so dry. This has been for the last 4 weeks.

During the week because of the immense dryness I have been greasing my scalp, putting Kera Care jojoba oil moisturizer on my hair, and Elast QP mango butter on my ends and then I put 4 purple flex rods in my hair.

During the week my hair is really moisturized but right after the set and for the next two days before I do the flex rods its so dry looking.

Am I using the wrong type of deep conditioner post wash? Am I using the wrong type of prepoo? :(

I am no expert but it looks like you may be over doing it protein wise...you need to incorporate more moisturizing conditioners in there some where.

ITA with Marie. The ORS mayo is a protein conditioner and every week may be too much. Try using more products with moisture and in time that should work itself out.

Hi back to you klb120475.

Thanks everyone for your advice. Is Silicon Mix a moisturizing conditioner or is that more protien? I am a little confused with all that stuff and apologize for asking so many questions.

csmoot said:

Thanks everyone for your advice. Is Silicon Mix a moisturizing conditioner or is that more protien? I am a little confused with all that stuff and apologize for asking so many questions.

I think it is more of a moisturizing one...are you wanting to use this as a prepoo or deep conditioner?

I was hoping to use it as a deep conditioner or a prepoo. I was not sure which would be the best but I starting to stretch my perms longer and I need something that is going to smooth out the jungle (aka my new growth).

Welcome aboard!

I agree with the other ladies, your problem may be due to protein overload. You may want to first try a clarifying shampoo to get rid of any product buildup, then try one of the moisturizing conditioners listed in this thread:

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=91873&highlight=moisturizing+conditioner

I hope that helps!:)

ETA: Silicon Mix is especially good for detangling if you have a lot of new growth, but it contains a lot of "cones" - which can build up on your hair and make it feel drier over time. A really good silicone-free moisturizing conditioner is Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose.

Last edited:
preciousjewel76 said:
Welcome aboard!

I agree with the other ladies, your problem may be due to protein overload. You may want to first try a clarifying shampoo to get rid of any product buildup, then try one of the moisturizing conditioners listed in this thread:

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=91873&highlight=moisturizing+conditioner

I hope that helps!:)

ETA: Silicon Mix is especially good for detangling if you have a lot of new growth, but it contains a lot of "cones" - which can build up on your hair and make it feel drier over time. A really good silicone-free moisturizing conditioner is Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose.

This is a good idea...I would use Silicon Mix as a deep conditioner...I usually make a conditioner cocktail with Silicon Mix, Alter Ego and and one or two other conditioners. I usually prepoo with some type of oil like coconut.

csmoot said:

Silicon Mix is very moisturizing. I've been using it as a deep conditioner weekly (after a protien conditioning) since January and I've never had issues with dryness. Ever.

Also, to address your issue, I don't think you're using too much protein. I just think you're not moisturizing enough as others have said. You should do a moisturizing deep conditioning treatment everytime you use protien to offset or prevent dryness. HTH!

Thank you all so much. I ordered some Kera Care Humecto conditioner from Sheldeez almost 2 months ago in a big order. I got everything else but that. :perplexed

I will DC with that next time and use the Silicon Mix as prepoo. Is that a good idea?

csmoot said:
Thank you all so much. I ordered some Kera Care Humecto conditioner from Sheldeez almost 2 months ago in a big order. I got everything else but that. :perplexed

I will DC with that next time and use the Silicon Mix as prepoo. Is that a good idea?

I don't see why you couldn't use Silicon Mix as a prepoo, but that and Keracare Humecto might be too much at once (IMO) - they're both heavy in mineral oil and 'cones and might leave your hair feeling "heavy" if you use both on the same wash day. I'd stick to using Silicon Mix it as a deep conditioner. Try using coconut, amla, or olive oil as your prepoo. Coconut milk works great, too!

Thank you all so much.

Well I am getting wash and set again on Thursday and will report on Friday with the results. Thanks again.

Back