Please help me with suggestions for NATURAL moisturizing conditioner.

JudithO

I have really dry 4B hair and I just started on my HHJ. I'm still trying to nail down a good moisturizing deep conditioner so I need suggestions. Kinda desperate cos the dryness is killing me... I moisturize with water daily.. doesn't help!

Here is what I've tried.

Giovanni Smooth as Silk Condish - I think it dries out my hair... used for at least 2 years and stopped.

Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Condish - I can't handle the smell... At first it was okay, but a couple of hours later, I felt like throwing up.

Regimen: Wash n DC at least about 1 - 2 X a week. Mostly Cornrows n halfwigs... Lost too much hair to everything else. Desert Essence coconut shampoo (or giovanni 50:50), I use kimmay's leave in, and castor + olive to seal.

Do you think ceramides will help?

I'd much rather prefer natural conditioners as I'm paranoid about conditioners that aren't natural cos of the ingredients (If I change my mind, I'll try Kenra MC first)

I'm also open to a homemade conditioner recipe for DC.

Thanks guys, looking forward to your responses. Feel free to point me to threads that you think will help.

Darn, your hair doesn't like my favorite conditioners.

I would try a mix of Aloe Vera Juice + Honey + Castor Oil + Coconut Milk if your hair likes those individual ingredients. You can also add any of those ingredients to a natural conditioner you already have to 'beef' it up.

HTH!

Sounds like you've had the best. Aubrey Organics smell really grows on you. The smell is actually a lot less artificial than the ingredients that you're probably used to in commercial ingredients. It has an earthy, herbal, flower smell. The Aubrey Organics GPB moisture protein balancing conditioner is the best-- imagine the AO hsr x 10 as far as strength and moisture all together...I thought I would hate the smell, but each time I use it I like it a little more b/c it smells so "clean" & natural.

Have you ever thought of making your own natural deep conditioner concotion, with shea butter and natural oils?:yep: go for it girl.

You could try the shea moisture deep conditioning masque, and they have another one that has yucca and aloe, its name escapes me right now but they have these at walgreens and target.

Not sure where you are at but if u could get silicon mix bambu locally it is the best commercial dc I have ever used for the price.

Also I have been raving about sallys brand Paul Mitchell the conditioner leave in. I used this after my hair received a little too much protein last week and my set still came out deliciously soft for at least 4 days before remoisturizing.

Thanks guys....

@ NappyNelle -- Girl, right now I have NO conditioner in my closet.... I'm about to return the AOHSR... I would need to buy something that would let me beef it up... lol... Maybe I'll try Giovanni 50:50. Actually the smooth as silk detangles my hair like butter, after it dries though.. different story.

I never had honey in my hair... but I can try. I didn't want to have to shampoo my hair after i'm done DC'ing ... Hoping for something that rinses out clean.

@ virtuenow ... I think my nose is just extra sensitive... Since i've been natural, ive only used natural products so I may a little spoiled by the "lack of fragrance".... I've used the AO GBP in the past (maybe 2 years ago... I don't remember the smell being bad.. will try).. Hey we have the same hair type so it may be a winner. I so wanted to love the AOHSR, but even my DH couldn't stand d smell.. lol...

@ Natirel Me ! --- Thought about making something several times... matter of fact I have... I make all my butter mixes and oil mixes from scratch... However, I was looking for something that rinses clean.. Didnt want to have to shampoo my hair after DC'ing. Maybe i'll just prepoo and shampoo, and forget about conditioners.

@ afrofaithful - I can try those.. Are they very moisturizing?

@ winona - Thanks for your suggestions... hoping for natural product lines tho. If I don't find something natural that works, I'll try your suggestions.

How about 'KimmayTubes leave-in moisturizer'?? (do a 'search' and check out her youtube) I recently tried it and I can honestly say...its worked wonders on my dry hair

How about 'KimmayTubes leave-in moisturizer'?? (do a 'search' and check out her youtube) I recently tried it and I can honestly say...its worked wonders on my dry hair

I was going to mention the same thing. The KimmayTube leave in is the BEST leave in I have used. It's basically 2 tablespoons of KCKT or your fav condish + 2 teaspoons of Aloe Vera gel/juice + 2 teaspoons of castor oil and 2 teaspoons of jojoba oil (optional). I've altered mine a bit by using Rosewater instead of Aloe Vera Gel...Aloe Vera is used to pH balance the hair and Rosewater does the same.

She already use the leave in. She wants a conditioner which will not leave her hair dry. OP why dont u try to rinse (final) with apple cider vinegar and water ?(1/4 part of ACV and 3/4 parts of water) and see how your hair will react. Then, put your Kimmaytube-leave-in on your damp hair.

I love Tresemme Naturals moisturizing conditioner with a bit of olive oil added to it, gives great slip n moisture and smells nice. You get 25oz for $4.99 or less. Love that stuff!

Sent from my iPod touch using LHCF

Add oil rinsing to your wash day routine- any oil your hair likes
Before you add your leave-in and moisturizer spray your hair with a mix of equal parts water and aloe vera juice
use shea moisture deep treatment masque as your moisturizer.

If all of that fails, run don't walk to your nearest ulta and get you some joico products, your 4b hair will thank you!

Ok since AOHSR didn't work let's bring out the big guns
Bear Fruit Hair (they have a website)
Get their Shea Coconut & Aloe Deep Conditioner
Smells better than Aubrey Honeysuckle and more moisturizing
or Elucence Conditioner

I second the oil rinsing. Try oil rinsing with castor oil. Moisture and softness is insane. :lick:

I came in here to recommend Bear Fruit Hair, but silenttullip beat me to it. :wacky: I'm actually dc'ing with the Shea Almond Coconut Deep Cream right now :grin: I love their conditioners, but Ginger Macadamia holds a special place in my heart. :heart2:

ceramides will help most definitely! Head over to the ceramides thread for ideas of what to use. It definitely helped with my hopelessly dry hair.

As for DC. Try DCing for longer periods of time. If you don't have a hooded drier/bonnet or steamer, leave DC on for as long as you can.

Silicon Mix Bambu is an excellent DC and you can buy it at most any BSS.

Thanks guys.... I tried oil rinsing.. Maybe I didn't rinse off with hot enough water... But my hair came out really greasy... I had to shampoo off.... I'll try again....

I'll look into Bear Fruit, Yes to Cucumbers, and Bee Mine... Will let you guys know how it goes...

BTW I already use Kimmay's leave in, and my hair adores it. I use it, and a mix of castor, olive, coconut, and jojoba oil to seal.. Amazing. I am really considering just prepooing, shampooing and using a leave in, without a rinse off conditioner.... Finding a conditioner has been giving me sleepless nights, and I don't think the hassle is worth it even... In the olden days (lol), people had long beautiful hair, without conditioners.... How the heck did they do it?

Thanks guys.... I tried oil rinsing.. Maybe I didn't rinse off with hot enough water... But my hair came out really greasy... I had to shampoo off.... I'll try again....

I'll look into Bear Fruit, Yes to Cucumbers, and Bee Mine... Will let you guys know how it goes...

BTW I already use Kimmay's leave in, and my hair adores it. I use it, and a mix of castor, olive, coconut, and jojoba oil to seal.. Amazing. I am really considering just prepooing, shampooing and using a leave in, without a rinse off conditioner.... Finding a conditioner has been giving me sleepless nights, and I don't think the hassle is worth it even... In the olden days (lol), people had long beautiful hair, without conditioners.... How the heck did they do it?

Oh OP so your leave in works, so when exactly are you experiencing dryness?

@ NappyNelle -- Porosity? Dang... I'll have to go research on that one... Thanks

@ Ceecy.. My hair gets dry after my wash.. like 1 day later.... I'm fine on wash day wit my leave in.. After I take out my hair, I just see a lot of pieces breaking... especially my front, and and center of my head.... my hair there is very fragile, and those parts are at least 4 inches shorter than the rest of my head (If I properly trim) ... Your hair is fab by the way.... We have the same hair type + I'm Nigerian too.. + I think we have a mutual friend (from your fotki pictures)...

@ NappyNelle -- Porosity? Dang... I'll have to go research on that one... Thanks

@ Ceecy.. My hair gets dry after my wash.. like 1 day later.... I'm fine on wash day wit my leave in.. After I take out my hair, I just see a lot of pieces breaking... especially my front, and and center of my head.... my hair there is very fragile, and those parts are at least 4 inches shorter than the rest of my head (If I properly trim) ... Your hair is fab by the way.... We have the same hair type + I'm Nigerian too.. + I think we have a mutual friend (from your fotki pictures)...

funny enough I could tell you were Nigerian.

ok about your hair, it sounds like you have porosity issues. Like Nelle said, try to figure that out. Also, you need to know if you have fine or thick strands. All these things will determine what kind of products you need.

I suffered from the same issues you described..the constant breakage, and dryness a day later, for me it was often on the wash day. I follow the method that involves a prepoo and oil rinsing and aloe vera juice spritzing and it works to get me at least 3 days of moisture and it is cheap. But what has ultimately helped me get rid of breakage and retain moisture for a whole week, yeah I said week...is incorporating joico, expensive and worth it! I spoke to others such as Akemi before taking the plunge and I am happy I did.

Last edited:
Oh yeah, cosign Ceecy, I was originally going to suggest doing an Oil Rinse. I use castor oil and its more awesome than any commercial conditioner by itself. Its almost like it cuts through the hair (penetrates) and softens it leaves moisture behind through a steam like process

I tried Shea Moisture Deep treatment masque.... It dried my hair out so bad.... I'll keep trying.. Hopefully I find the one soon.

Ceecy... What Joico line do you use? The k-pak? Did you ever try Kenra MC? What does your regimen look like now? I've been wearing cornrows strictly and wiggin' it to work. I make the cornrows really neat, so I wear it out whenever i'm not at work.

Back