Please help...I regret getting my relaxer...

About 5 months ago I had my hairstylist apply a relaxer 4 weeks after taking down box braids. She was reluctant to do so because she wasn’t sure if my hair was strong enough, but I insisted. Once applied and rinsed out, my hair melted off in the sink. She was able to salvage a good amount of my hair but since then I still have allot of breakage. Currently I am using Carols Daughter’s hair products. I re-touch every 6-7 weeks, wash, deep condition with a heating cap for 1 hour and flat iron weekly. I also apply hair milk moisturizing cream and oil daily and wear a satin scarf to bed. It is now almost shoulder length and my goal is to grow my hair bra strap length. It seems as though each time I get an inch of new growth between re-touches I don’t see a change in the length because it continues to break from the ends and also at the new growth. Does anyone have any suggestions to stop the breakage so that I can reach my goal?

Welcome! I would say give the flat ironing a rest for a while and start bunning. Daily co-washing may be beneficial in helping to restore your hair and helping with the breakage. Hope this helps and good luck!

Sounds like you need protein. You should do Aphogee once a month. Also, find a good protein shampoo like L'anza protein plus to wash with and follow that with a moisturizing conditioner after each wash.

ETA: Also invest in a good leave in, like salerm 21. It targets porous hair.

Last edited:
-No more heat. Your hair can't tolerate it
-No more Carol's Daughter (do a search, the products suck)
-Stretch your relaxers further apart to give your scalp time to heal and to avoid overprocessing (which leads to more breakage)

-Stretch your relaxers further apart to give your scalp time to heal and to avoid overprocessing (which leads to more breakage)

all of what she said and use some type of clarifying shampoo or acv rinse to get rid of the product buildup.

Oh I did forget to mention I tried a protein treatment last week but it was not either of the brands. I still had breakage but not as much. I will try those mentioned...thanks!

Try a spray-in protein product like Aussie Insurance, Infusium 23 or Aphogee Green Tea and Keratin. That way you can add instant protein to your hair as often as you like without going overboard. Good luck!

I agree with the ladies above me, they have given the best advice. If you want a quick and easy way to update your hair, try investing in some cute half wigs. Cornrow your hair underneath the half wig and keep the ends oiled.

I tend to agree with the other posters--perhaps the combination of a relaxer and weekly flat iron may be too much stress on your hair at this point. What is your hair type? Coarse? Fine? Depending on how you answer, you my need to alternate protein and moisture. I've learned that a rule of thumb is that if you have coarse hair, you need more moisturizing products. If you hair is fine like mine, protein is your friend. But remember, overdoing anything can cause its own set of problems. Good luck to you.

Sorry yall…I do have one more concern. I will try holding off longer on my retouch but my new growth is very thick and course. I usually saturate my roots before combing. My stylist suggested that I not comb it at all because it is so thick. Is that something I should not be doing either?

I whole heartedly agree w/Tiffers & Sprung on HairBoards after just experiencing the exact same thing same thing. i.e. chemical damage & overprocessing. Except mine fell completely out to 1/2 inch and in some places 1 to 2 inches in some places etc..

Definitely start to stretch your relaxers -- after my major damage, I stretched 13 weeks. Was totally terrified to get another chemical processing and tried my own hand at Self-Relaxing the first time ever. Start using Henna & Indigo instead of 'bottled' semi-permanent color. Got rid of Carol's Daughter products (gave them away) began to seriously check the Protein, Moisture and Porosity all thanks to the Ladies at LCHF. Weekly DC w/heat. Totally low/no Manipulation and just Giving it a rest. Your Hair is trying to tell you something.

Great advice. Carol's Daughter is not made for relaxed hair, so while relaxed I would not use.

Deep conditioning is a must as well for relaxed hair.

Instead of flat ironing, invest in some Caruso rollers. You can use the Caruso's, and then after your hair is finished setting, you can wrap your hair up and it'll give your hair the look of a doobie with the body and slight bump at the ends. You can do this once a week, and it makes your hair look great and it's much healthier than flat ironing. Neutrogena Triple Moisture is a good moisturizer to use as well and won't weigh down fine hair. Finally, the ORS Replenishing Pak conditioner will help a lot with your hair because weak/damaged hair needs to be deep conditioned every week.

Sorry yall…I do have one more concern. I will try holding off longer on my retouch but my new growth is very thick and course. I usually saturate my roots before combing. My stylist suggested that I not comb it at all because it is so thick. Is that something I should not be doing either?
Join the deep conditioning challenge. Regular deep conditioning will greatly improve your hair's managability. When your hair is properly moisturized, your hair becomes softer and easier to handle. There's a long list of deep conditioners in the main post of the dc (deep condition) challenge thread

It's also improtant to find a good moisturizer that your hair likes. This will help keep the newgrowth soft and moist as well :yep:

Some good options for a moisturizer:
Hawaiian Silky 14 in 1 Miracle Worker
S-Curl
Carefree Curl
BB Oil Moisturizer w/Castor Oil
Hollywood Beauty Olive Oil Creme

Moisturize daily, twice daily if needed :)

Hey ladies...I have been doing allot of reading and I just cant seem to come up with a regimen for myself. I want to go out today and buy some products. I am on the hunt for the Aubrey Organics and cant seem to find it locally but I'm on a mission, so I'm gonna stay positive on that one.

I was thinking of getting the GPB shampoo and Honey suckle rose conditioner (?)

I also want to get salerm 21 but cant find that either: use this after I wash/co-wash?

So far I have bought the aphogee protein kit: which I plan to use monthly

Tiffers: I did go and get the hawiian silky 14-use daily for moisture? Too bad I didnt read about the Asian bss store before I went out and bought it from them lol and of course there is a no-refund policy. It looks clumpy is it suposed to look like that? :perplexed

I also have some Infusium 23 here at home also.

I bought a bottle of EVOO, how often should I use it? Should I use on the entire shaft to look in the moisture or just my ends? (they do tend to be drier more than anything else)

I am still confused. Please suggest a regimen for me to start out that should help me in my particular case. I was thinking maybe wash and deep condtion weekly, twice if I have time, and maybe a co-wash if I dont wash twice weekly. I want to start wearing buns and maybe braid outs and roller sets-those seem to be easiest for me.

TIA!

Welcome! I would say give the flat ironing a rest for a while and start bunning. Daily co-washing may be beneficial in helping to restore your hair and helping with the breakage. Hope this helps and good luck!
Totally off-topic, but your signature is the funniest video I've seen in a while. :lachen::lachen::lachen:

Right now, just try to keep your reggie as simple as possible:

Wash, dc and rollerset once a week

Bun it up
Moisturize daily

That's really all you need :yep:

I got some bootleg 14 in 1 from the bss too. Mine was reeeaaally watery. The original sprays out really thick

Hi Precious31301, I find that keeping your regimen simple is best. Here is what I suggest for a regimen, you can decide what products you want to use.
Once a week:
shampoo
deep condition (alternate between a protein and moisturizing conditioner)
rinse with instant conditoner
rollerset or air dry (depending on what hairstyle you are going for)
This is basically what has worked for me. I hope this helps.

ETA: I forgot add - moisturize and then seal with an oil 1x or 2x a day and sleep with a satin or silk bonnet or scarf.

Bumping...any suggestions?

IA w/Tiffers. You want to keep it simple and try to learn what works for your hair. I also think you should try to limit your heat and try to get your protein & moisture in balance. Low maintenance styles & low manipulation i.e. too much hair handling will help you get your tresses back in shape in no time.

If you only do one thing PLEASE stop relaxing your hair every month and a half.

I agree. This is the source of your breakage.

I also say try Aphogee. It's a strong line of products, but it sounds like you have serious breakage. You might want to look up Ateeya's Aphogee regimen on youtube that she used when her hair was breaking (minus the heat!!!). Just bun or clip your hair up instead of flat-ironing. Phony ponies helped me get to shoulder-length as well.

Thank you guys for the replies! I will stop putting the heat on my hair. Thank goodness you said keep it simple! I was under the impression that I needed a complicated regimen because of the condition my hair is in.... I'm off to get my products!

Nope, you don't need all the extras. The longer you're here, though, the more you'll change/add to your reggie :lol:

My regimen has changed soooooo many times, but it's all about trial and error :yep: For the first few months you're here, just KISS (keep is simple, sista) so you don't get overwhelmed

I agree. This is the source of your breakage.

I also say try Aphogee. It's a strong line of products, but it sounds like you have serious breakage. You might want to look up Ateeya's Aphogee regimen on youtube that she used when her hair was breaking (minus the heat!!!). Just bun or clip your hair up instead of flat-ironing. Phony ponies helped me get to shoulder-length as well.
I will check out the YouTube video. Thanks...your hair looks very nice thick and healthy!

Welcome
and try to cut down on heat. I know its hard but it is possible. I'm in my own challenge no heat until june 09. So far so good. Come check out PROTEIN IS MY FREIND challenge. Lots of support and lots of ladies that have success with stopping breakage. You in the right place cause you getting good advice here. Don't get discouraged everyone is here to help.

Back