Please give BEST RELAXER recommendations

Lye: I like SE
No Lye: Dark & Lovely, ORS

I have no whys, I just do.

THANKS! the bolded is funny!

I self relax and i'm nervous to use lye. I know I can base, but the last time I got a lye relaxer it was professional and they based me, but it still burned. :wallbash:

do you think that the no lyes work as well for you?

I love ORS no-lye, because it leave my hair really moisturized (keep in mind I also add 1/4 cup of EVOO to my relaxers). But overall I don't see myself switching anytime soon.

I love ORS no-lye, because it leave my hair really moisturized (keep in mind I also add 1/4 cup of EVOO to my relaxers). But overall I don't see myself switching anytime soon.

So, why do you add EVOO? to slow down the processing time? thanks!

I have been using Mizani Mild for the past two or so touchups. I have also had good experiences with Vitale mild and Design essentials

THANKS! the bolded is funny!

I self relax and i'm nervous to use lye. I know I can base, but the last time I got a lye relaxer it was professional and they based me, but it still burned. :wallbash:

do you think that the no lyes work as well for you?

No lyes work just fine for me but i have coarse wiry hair and i have to leave them on for too long just to texlax and that's with super strenght.

lyes relaxer allow me to texlax for a lesser amount of time for the same effects using regular strength.

No lyes work just fine for me but i have coarse wiry hair and i have to leave them on for too long just to texlax and that's with super strenght.

lyes relaxer allow me to texlax for a lesser amount of time for the same effects using regular strength.

Ahh...i see. thanks again!

I like and use Mizani Lye regular strength because it works well for me. I add someEVOO to it as well to texlax for added thickness to my fine strands.

Hi Gymfreak,

Are these no lye? Why do you use mild?

They are all lye relaxers.

I use mild because I have fine strands. It also buys me a little more time when I self relax. I leave it on for around 25 minutes total and I am still texlaxed to an extent.

I just used Mizani Butter Blends... it got the job done.

Hey BotanyGrl, does the Mizani Butter Blend come in lye or no-lye? I'm thinking about getting this at some point but not yet as I still have a whole tub and a half of Mizani regular lye that I'm trying to use up.

I have been using Mizani Mild for the past two or so touchups.

Gym, you must be a cousin..LOL.....I use Mizani Mild (lye) also. I have been using it for the last year or so. When I go to the BSS, and ask for Mild the ladies behind the counter will look at my hair and start whispering "she know she need extra strong resistant strength".........them heffers, but anyway I use mild because even though my hair may not look it from a distance my strands are very fine/thin and anything besides a mild relaxer would just damage my poor hair. I also like Mizani Mild because it doesn't relax my hair bone straight. I relax my hair using the half and half method. Each part I leave the relaxer on for about 15-20 minutes ( this is the total time from start to finish). For my next touch up, I think I might only leave it on for 10 minutes tops......This is a stretch I might come out looking natural.

They are all lye relaxers.

I use mild because I have fine strands. It also buys me a little more time when I self relax. I leave it on for around 25 minutes total and I am still texlaxed to an extent.

Thanks AGAIN! I really appreciate all of the suggestions.

Gym, you must be a cousin..LOL.....I use Mizani Mild (lye) also. I have been using it for the last year or so. When I go to the BSS, and ask for Mild the ladies behind the counter will look at my hair and start whispering "she know she need extra strong resistant strength".........them heffers, but anyway I use mild because even though my hair may not look it from a distance my strands are very fine/thin and anything besides a mild relaxer would just damage my poor hair. I also like Mizani Mild because it doesn't relax my hair bone straight. I relax my hair using the half and half method. Each part I leave the relaxer on for about 15-20 minutes ( this is the total time from start to finish). For my next touch up, I think I might only leave it on for 10 minutes tops......This is a stretch I might come out looking natural.

Yep I think we are cousins. Many stylists have said the same thing about my hair because its pretty thick, especially now that it is healthier. I actually thought I was relaxing straight with the Mizani mild. Thats what it looks like until the first wash and then you can see that it still has some texture to it. I was actually disappointed at first :lol: When you relax do you do one half and then rinse and do the other section?

I still love Phyto--Index II (despite MonaLisa's campaign:yep:) because it does not burn my scalp and my hair is strong and well moisturized. Scalp burns are my biggest issue with relaxers and I doubt I'll ever switch from Phyto for this reason alone.

When you relax do you do one half and then rinse and do the other section?

Yup...I start with the front first after applying, I wash it, neutralize it, and leave conditoner on it while I am doing the back.
While I am doing the front, I put a plastic conditioning cap on the back part with pins to secure it so it don't get wet.

Yup...I start with the front first after applying, I wash it, neutralize it, and leave conditoner on it while I am doing the back.
While I am doing the front, I put a plastic conditioning cap on the back part with pins to secure it so it don't get wet.

Atlien,
Wow, this is cool!! I never did understand how some ladies said they would leave the relaxer on for 15-20 min. tops for the whole head and its impossible to apply to the whole head at once. LOL!! I am slow as molasses. I will have to try this because it doesn't take long for a relaxer to get my hair straight. I really want to try out the texlaxing because bone straight is not good on my fine/thin hair. :nono:

Silk Elements Regular and I LOVEEEEEE it. I switched to ORS Lye Regular for one touch-up and....things just weren't the same:nono:
I'll never betray my Silk Elements again

Back