Pictures of those who BCed before a year

FtrDrO

I'm really tempted to BC . I really don't like my relaxed ends at th moment because they just look anorexic compared to the thickness and density of my natural hair. I keep getting tangling between the two textures. I have about 4 inches of 4a/b new growth right now. I wanted to wait to get to a year or at least to december so that I could bring in the new year with a new look. But, at this point I don't know if I really care about that.
Can I see some pics of some who BCed in less than a year? Did you regret it? Did you leave your hair out after that or put it into a protective style until it grew longer? Did you find that your hair grew faster without the relaxed ends? tia!

my fotki is in my profile

I'll say that it was irritating to deal with the 2 textures. My relaxed hair was in bad shape and hanging on for deal life, which is why I decided to chop @ 7 months.

I don't regret it because it is a load off of my shoulders, I used to wonder about what to do to my hair after I took out braids, because I couldn't always afford them.

I did leave my hair out for 3 months and had micros for 1 month.

It took me a while to learn how to care for my natural hair. I think I lost some growth due to breakage, but I think it was better to learn early on with a few inches of hair rather than trying to control 6 inches of nappiness. That seems overwhelming to me. I think my hair is growing at the same rate it was when I had the relaxed ends.

Just be prepared to experiment because it is totally different. Try to lock in a good regimin early on.

I BC'd recently after transitioning for 8 mos..my hair was about 4 1/2 inches all over when i chopped. I have been wearing a fro everyday since and looove it:yep:. It is so much easier than having to deal with the two textures. THAT was driving me nuts:wallbash:. And the best part is that my hair seems to be growing faster!!! I BC'd on the 31st of August and my hair is already at about 5-5 1/2 inches all over!!! I attached a pic of my hair..rockin the fro. I also have pics to show the growth if you would like to see those. I need to resize them first though (too big):ohwell:

Attachments

• Photo_090508_001.jpg
    Photo_090508_001.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 83
Hijacking thread just to tell KizzieNapps she looks so adorable with her new look and it seems like she knows it!

OP, I didn't BC when I transitioned but wore braids and trimmed a little every time I redid a braid. I had about 5-6 inches of natural hair after being in braids for a year (starting from 1 inch of growth and w/ regular trims/dustings) so you're not far from the length I had in a year. I did hide in braids for another year though. The downside to waiting till I had long hair before getting out of braids was I didn't get acquainted with my hair and had no clue what to use on it when I finally faced it. So that's where a BC is a good move. You have time to experiment and get to know what your hair likes before you have a mane that's hard to deal with. The downside is unless you're happy with a TWA, you might get frustrated at the limited styling you can do with short hair. But there's always the option of cornrows, phony puffs, weaves and braids. So just visit a few albums of people who BC'd and get an idea what to expect. And if it sounds like a journey you'd love to go on, then get with it and have a blast.

I bc'd in Oct of 2006, and when I took my braids out in Aug. 2007, I was already shoulder length. I cut EVERYTHING off: all relaxed hair. My hair was shorter than my pinky finger. But my bang touched my nose by the next year.

I used WGO to help it grow faster. I kept it in braids for the whole year.

This is when I did the bc. The straight hair that you see in the pic, was eventually cut off as my hair grew. I wanted to start completely over. When I recieved my relaxer my hair was completely virgin.

IMG_3279-2.jpg

This is my hair in Dec of 2007. I had had two trims by now. I had my hair relaxed in 8/07. I didn't take many pics at that time because I hadn't yet found this site:

IMG_4153.jpg

IMG_4090.jpg

I did after 6 months (the last week of this march that just passed). I don't have many pictures but I have one when I went to my friends birthday party which is pretty much the Saturday when I cut on the Wednesday.

n290300761_627798_6486-vi.jpg

I had a hard time though because after the high I realized that I was not ready for short hair :sad:. Sometimes I feel like I am still not ready and my longest piece is about an inch past CBL. Total hair anorexia.

Silly me didn't take any pics of my ultra-short BC last year, but I cut it all off due to heat damage and overprocessing. I did the BC and my hair was 1/2 inch long. I wore lace wigs for a while for work and I was just letting it do whatever on the weekends. When it got about six inches long I texlaxed it and now I do braidouts or just pull it back. I airdry and flatiron on the lowest heat setting maybe once a month.

I found that just starting fresh and doing a BC helped me keep nearly every inch I've grown. My hair did not like being two textures. I had crazy breakage no matter what I did.

This is from last week.
100_8508_1.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice and pics everyone!

Kizzienaps Iagree with nonie; your hair is very cute and looks nice on you

Noodle mama and Blessed Angel you both have gotten alot of growth!

Sui Topi: short hair is nice on you. You seem to have my build and face shape so looking at you kind of gives me an idea of how i'd look :)

I waited 10 months.. here is what it looked like when I chopped.. I had 2.25 inches of hair and last check in September I had 5! I regretted it for a while but I'm glad I did it because the 2 different textures were driving me crazy!!! BTW today is my 4 month anniversary!!!:grin My avatar is a pic from my last length check!

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 18
  • bc1.jpg
    bc1.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 18
  • r.jpg
    r.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 20
  • Picture _02.jpg
    Picture _02.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
I waited 10 months.. here is what it looked like when I chopped.. I had 2.25 inches of hair and last check in September I had 5! I regretted it for a while but I'm glad I did it because the 2 different textures were driving me crazy!!! BTW today is my 4 month anniversary!!!:grin My avatar is a pic from my last length check!

Congratulations on your 4 months! Hope you're enjoying the natural journey!

I'm really tempted to BC . I really don't like my relaxed ends at th moment because they just look anorexic compared to the thickness and density of my natural hair. I keep getting tangling between the two textures. I have about 4 inches of 4a/b new growth right now. I wanted to wait to get to a year or at least to december so that I could bring in the new year with a new look. But, at this point I don't know if I really care about that.
Can I see some pics of some who BCed in less than a year? Did you regret it? Did you leave your hair out after that or put it into a protective style until it grew longer? Did you find that your hair grew faster without the relaxed ends? tia!

Girl - just go for it!!! I bc'd March of 2007 after 9 months of new growth (which for me, was MORE than enough - the two textures and breakage was driving me nuts!)... My short hair was the easiest I have EVER had to deal with before the bc and therafter! Now that its longer, I am EXTREMELY glad I went through with it... I think my hair grows the same (average) with or without the relaxer, but transitioning can cause you to make some unhealthy tradeoffs on hair care (what works well for relaxed hair does NOT work well for virgin hair, and vice versa... no matter what anyone says, you are probably making a choice, imho, and one hair type will suffer)

The link to my bc pics is here, though I will attach a few shots below to help you understand my journey:

Two textures the day of my BC (clearly the relaxed ends were losing the battle):
DSCN1849-vi.jpg

My first wash post-BC:
DSCN1886-vi.jpg

My hair after shingling (when they rake a heavy product, in this case miss jessie's curly pudding) through your hair and use a hooded hair dryer:
DSCN1895-vi.jpg

My hair now, wash and go with conditioner raked throughout:
Upload004small-vi.jpg

My hair now, straight:
2yrAnniversary002crop-vi.jpg

I know its a lot of pictures, and I have a TON more (been tracking my hair journey since September, 2006). Feel free to stop by whenever you want! I think this was one of the best decisions of my whole life, and I have not worn a single set of individual braids, cornrows, weaves or anything of the like while transitioning or growing my natural hair out. Trust me, it can be done! I think its ok to do some protective styling (in the winter I do more twists and twistouts and buns), but you can still have fun with it and grow it long! Good luck, and hope this helps!

Serenity326

Last edited:
I bced at 5.5 months and wore a weave for the next 6. I had maybe 2-3 inches of hair. I didn't regret it after the fact but I had no idea what to do with it. I had already had the appt scheduled for the weave before I decided to cut it that day. I went to the shop after I cut it to make sure I had enough hair left for her to braid. My only regret was that I wish I had done it sooner.

your hair is gorgeous!!! :yep:

Girl - just go for it!!! I bc'd March of 2007 after 9 months of new growth (which for me, was MORE than enough - the two textures and breakage was driving me nuts!)... My short hair was the easiest I have EVER had to deal with before the bc and therafter! Now that its longer, I am EXTREMELY glad I went through with it... I think my hair grows the same (average) with or without the relaxer, but transitioning can cause you to make some unhealthy tradeoffs on hair care (what works well for relaxed hair does NOT work well for virgin hair, and vice versa... no matter what anyone says, you are probably making a choice, imho, and one hair type will suffer)

The link to my bc pics is here, though I will attach a few shots below to help you understand my journey:

Two textures the day of my BC (clearly the relaxed ends were losing the battle):
DSCN1849-vi.jpg

My first wash post-BC:
DSCN1886-vi.jpg

My hair after shingling (when they rake a heavy product, in this case miss jessie's curly pudding) through your hair and use a hooded hair dryer:
DSCN1895-vi.jpg

Upload004small-vi.jpg

My hair now, straight:

I know its a lot of pictures, and I have a TON more (been tracking my hair journey since September, 2006). Feel free to stop by whenever you want! I think this was one of the best decisions of my whole life, and I have not worn a single set of individual braids, cornrows, weaves or anything of the like while transitioning or growing my natural hair out. Trust me, it can be done! I think its ok to do some protective styling (in the winter I do more twists and twistouts and buns), but you can still have fun with it and grow it long! Good luck, and hope this helps!

Serenity326

SIMPLY GORGEOUS:grin:

DSCN1849-vi.jpg

My first wash post-BC:
DSCN1886-vi.jpg

DSCN1895-vi.jpg

Upload004small-vi.jpg

My hair now, straight:

Serenity326

DSCN1895-vi.jpg

Upload004small-vi.jpg

My hair now, straight:

:lick::love::lick::love::lick::love:

My new fotki friend! :grin:

OMG your shine is serious and your hair is beautiful!!!! Thanks for the advice. Off to stalk.....i mean.....check out your fotki:look:

DSCN1849-vi.jpg

My first wash post-BC:
DSCN1886-vi.jpg

DSCN1895-vi.jpg

Upload004small-vi.jpg

My hair now, straight:

Serenity326

i did the big chop jst 10 weeks of transitioning and even though its been almost 3days now i love my hair, i could stand my relaxed end so i got rid of it, so go for it, it might be the best thing you would ever :grin:

Attachments

• the big chop 020.jpg
    the big chop 020.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 10
  • the big chop 031.jpg
    the big chop 031.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 9
I want my hair to be like SERENITY'S when i grow up. Girl, seeing your hair made me think twice about stretching and just waiting it out!

:drool:

Well, I'm on some sadistic, super grow-out, 18 month no BC journey.

But I just stopped in to say that all these photos are gorgeous and OP, if you're ready to do that chop. Do your thing girl! These 2 textures are battling constantly!

I have some pics...
IMG_2829-1.jpg

IMG_2828.jpg

I B'cd after about 5 months of transitioning... I then proceeded to cut more of to this length...

019-1.jpg

Currently, i am back to where i started... I think... My hair types is proabably 3c/4a even mix of things. I got tired of blending 2 textures and since i am not good at doing my hair as other ladies, I just cut it all off.. it was a good idea. :yep:

Short hair definitely works for you and brings out your features. Pretty!

I have some pics...
IMG_2829-1.jpg

IMG_2828.jpg

I B'cd after about 5 months of transitioning... I then proceeded to cut more of to this length...

019-1.jpg

Currently, i am back to where i started... I think... My hair types is proabably 3c/4a even mix of things. I got tired of blending 2 textures and since i am not good at doing my hair as other ladies, I just cut it all off.. it was a good idea. :yep:

i didnt like my BC BUT it grew out extremely fast so I was down in the pits for too long. I had my last relaxer in July 2003 and BC'd in November....and then 1 year later I had tons of hair.

Attachments

• baldielocks.jpg
    baldielocks.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 25
  • hairhair.jpg
    hairhair.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 24
Back