Phyto vs Phytospecific

mscorleone

Does anyone prefer regular phyto haircare products over phytospecific products? I'm thinking of using phyto ultra-dry products.

They are both excellent products - I honestly don't think there is a MAJOR difference between the two - one is geared toward the "more curly hair" (that would be the ethnic indicator) - I think you will like the Ultra Dry line - the shampoo (name escapes me) for dry hair is great too! - If you order online - go through www.pollyandco.com as she has great customer service and gives you free samples (that is how I found out about the shampoo)

HTH

The regular phyto products smell better. I didn't care for the phytospecific conditioner but I love phytojoba (as a leave in). I hate the smell of phytokarite. Phytosylic is a great shampoo for your scalp.

I think the ultra dry is the karite line (for shea butter) and it's not pleasant smelling.

The phytokarite you have to rub in your hands to melt it a little before you put it on your hair and it's a bit heavy.

The phytojoba smells like oranges. =)

sqzbly1908 your hair is pretty...btw. Thanks!! I have relaxed hair that isn't dry, but can be if I don't watch it. I am preparing my hair because I want to lighten it quite a bit this summer. So I want to get a jump start on the moisturizing and conditioning factor before I color it.

I was thinking about getting the phytonectar poo, phytonectar pre-poo, and the phytokarite mask mixed with a detangling conditioner(Biolage) and Kimble's ginger cream conditioner. What do you guys think?

Thanks Ms Corleone!!! I bet that will be so pretty - hopefully I get brave enough one of these days to go lighter! Those are some excellent conditioners - If I were you I would alternate them versus mixing them - you want to add a protein conditioner to your regimen - this will definitely prepare your hair for the color -

Some good ones are Tigi Dumb Blonde, Aphogee 2 minute, Nexxus Keraphix, Aubrey Organics GPB, Nexxus Emergencee, Aphogee 2 step (I personally don't like it but it works for some) Paul Mitchell Super Strong Treatment, just to name a few....

I don't think there's much difference between the two. They're produced by the same company. The Phyto7 and Phyto9 cream in a tube are both excellent for relaxed hair. The PhytoSpecific products do seem to contain more quinoa oil, and can be a bit heavy on the hair. I only use these when my hair is super dry. I love the phytojojoba shampoo as well. It's nice that you can pick up some of the Phyto and PhytoSpecific products at your local Sophora store.

Thanks Ms Corleone!!! I bet that will be so pretty - hopefully I get brave enough one of these days to go lighter! Those are some excellent conditioners - If I were you I would alternate them versus mixing them - you want to add a protein conditioner to your regimen - this will definitely prepare your hair for the color -

Some good ones are Tigi Dumb Blonde, Aphogee 2 minute, Nexxus Keraphix, Aubrey Organics GPB, Nexxus Emergencee, Aphogee 2 step (I personally don't like it but it works for some) Paul Mitchell Super Strong Treatment, just to name a few....

Thanks!!
I got the mixture of PhytoKarite/Kimble's Ginger Cream Cond/Biolage Detangling Cond. from the Taraji Henson article in last months Essence Mag. She uses the blend as a treatment. Her hair is always so pretty, so I thought I'd try it. My hair is in great condition, I just think my beautician won't be so open to using the new products. You know how you just wanna try something new for a change?

Right now I use Advanced Therapy by Graham Webb, which is an excellent treatment...btw.

Last edited:
Do any of you use the Phytospecific relaxer by any chance? I have gotten mixed reviews about it.

Right now I use Mizani or Avalon's Affirm or the Affirm Dry & Itchy.

Do any of you use the Phytospecific relaxer by any chance? I have gotten mixed reviews about it.

Right now I use Mizani or Avalon's Affirm or the Affirm Dry & Itchy.

I used the Phyto Index 1 for about 2 years - it started out great and then it became drying overtime (had a Phyto expert applying it) - I am now back to lye relaxers - namely the Mizani Butter Blend and I will not turn back - Phyto 1 made my hair feel good but that MBB made my hair feel GREAT!!!

Back