Phyto is WHAcK.. well atleast for me!

virgo_chinwe

DISCLAIMER:
I am in no way dissing phyto users but stating my experience. and please keep in mind for future users I applied this on virgin hair not just new growth and I have that good old thick real african hair---4z. But I have only used no-lye relaxers or wave noveau. I also used INDEX 2. Now to the main event....

After waiting about 8 months to apply a relaxer on my virgin hair after my big chop in feburary, but I had been growing it out since late november....I sucked it up and bought the $65 dollar miracle relaxer. I had done all my homework..and I was READY! when i first looked at the creme portion of the relaxer prior to adding the inductor...i was like there is no way this is going to be enough for my big head...and low and behold it wasn't. My cousin literally scraped the jar clean and it still was barely enough. Usually I have enough to go over my hair to smooth it out but not with phyto. And now that I think back on it...I don't ever recall reading a review about someone applying this to virgin hair so that maybe why most people had ample left over after applying to ONLY new growth.

Get this ladies----I had this stuff in my hair for 40 minutes..and the recommended time was a maximum of 25 minutes. and it never burned once! So I will admit that it definitely did stick to its word on that but it is by no means odorless as the box claims. I hardly lost any hair.....but it definitely was not straight...it looked like i had blown it out or had gotten it texlaxed. My other cousin who was present who didn't apply the relaxer walked in after I washed out the neutralizer and was like..."so when are you guys going to start relaxing?" and "Give me my $5 relaxer any day"...i was like omg!!!ladies it was that bad. Yes it was straighter than before but by no means bone straight. My Aunt was like....."did you want it to look like that"..and my mother was like yeah "she spent all her money on a natural relaxer that didn't do the job". I was soooo pissed!! One because she has never even heard of the product till i bought it and up till then she was like "ooo...I want to use phyto too!" I was irritated and pissed that my mom had the audacity to talk mess about product that she didnt even know about much less pay for. ANyway.....ladies...I am going to have to give phyto a thumbs down. And in the mean time, I am going to strengthen my hair for a correctional relaxing treatment i will do in four weeks. But I am kinda scared to swith relaxers so soon. But my cousin who acutally applied the relaxer said after applying relaxer to her virgin hair it took 3 treatments (2 correctional) of relaxer every 4 weeks to get it bone straight...our hair is that thick. Any recommendations ladies for my next relaxer? I was considering fiberguard sensitive scalp, mizani, or QP...all of which i have never tried.

Last edited:
I think you need to put this on the miss list for Aug. I don't have any suggestions for a new relaxer but maybe your hair will take better next time. What relaxer were you using before you did the bc? Did you have good results with any previous relaxers?

Thanks for sharing your experience. I was thinking of using this on "virgin" hair and was thinking of using Index 1 since it doesn't take much to relax my fine/thin hair...hmm...

virgo_chinwe said:
DISCLAIMER:
I am in no way dissing phyto users but stating my experience. and please keep in mind for future users I applied this on virgin hair not just new growth and I have that good old thick real african hair---4z. But I have only used no-lye relaxers or wave noveau. I also used INDEX 2. Now to the main event....

After waiting about 8 months to apply a relaxer on my virgin hair after my big chop in feburary, but I had been growing it out since late november....I sucked it up and bought the $65 dollar miracle relaxer. I had done all my homework..and I was READY! when i first looked at the creme portion of the relaxer prior to adding the inductor...i was like there is no way this is going to be enough for my big head...and low and behold it wasn't. My cousin literally scraped the jar clean and it still was barely enough. Usually I have enough to go over my hair to smooth it out but not with phyto. And now that I think back on it...I don't ever recall reading a review about someone applying this to virgin hair so that maybe why most people had ample left over after applying to ONLY new growth.

Get this ladies----I had this stuff in my hair for 40 minutes..and the recommended time was a maximum of 25 minutes. and it never burned once! So I will admit that it definitely did stick to its word on that but it is by no means odorless as the box claims. I hardly lost any hair.....but it definitely was not straight...it looked like i had blown it out or had gotten it texlaxed. My other cousin who was present who didn't apply the relaxer walked in after I washed out the neutralizer and was like..."so when are you guys going to start relaxing?" and "Give me my $5 relaxer any day"...i was like omg!!!ladies it was that bad. Yes it was straighter than before but by no means bone straight. My Aunt was like....."did you want it to look like that"..and my mother was like yeah "she spent all her money on a natural relaxer that didn't do the job". I was soooo pissed!! One because she has never even heard of the product till i bought it and up till then she was like "ooo...I want to use phyto too!" I was irritated and pissed that my mom had the audacity to talk mess about product that she didnt even know about much less pay for. ANyway.....ladies...I am going to have to give phyto a thumbs down. And in the mean time, I am going to strengthen my hair for a correctional relaxing treatment i will do in four weeks. But I am kinda scared to swith relaxers so soon. But my cousin who acutally applied the relaxer said after applying relaxer to her virgin hair it took 3 treatments (2 correctional) of relaxer every 4 weeks to get it bone straight...our hair is that thick. Any recommendations ladies for my next relaxer? I was considering fiberguard sensitive scalp, mizani, or QP...all of which i have never tried.

Oh my goodness! I am shocked:eek: I just bought a box of Index 2 and I have virgin hair....3c/4A hair. Now I'm worried that I might not have enough.LOL im thinking about buying affirmwhen i get to the salon and putting on affirm:confused:

I DID THE SAME THING!!!! I HAD WENT NATURAL FROM THE BEGINNING OF JAN TIL JUNE.

Bought Phyto and it did not work!!!!!!!

This last time I used Mizani mild, I think I could have used Mizani normal. But it worked much better on my head and my shedding has been minimized.

Hi Ladies,

Im no newbie but this is my first time making a statement. I had been natural for years and I got my first relaxer design essentials, least to say it DID NOT work and it looked like I had a blow out. Needless to say I deep conditioned waited 2 weeks went to the salon and got a Mizani relaxer.(regular) I loved it. My hair looks fabulous. Try Mizani, my hair is definitely 4b. Hope this helps.

Since your hair is so thick and resistant you should have relaxed in sections to give each section time to process throughly. And no, one box is not enough to relax virgin hair. Depending on the length you may have needed 2 or 3.

dontspeakdefeat said:
Since your hair is so thick and resistant you should have relaxed in sections to give each section time to process throughly. And no, one box is not enough to relax virgin hair. Depending on the length you may have needed 2 or 3.

Sorry that happened to you, I know how frustrating it can be after spending all that money.

But I agree with DSD, using an adequate amount of relaxer on each section goes a long way to getting the results you want. I've never used Phyto, but that sounds like it might have played a major factor in your results.

mizani sensitive scalp straightens well (it did for me anyway), you might try that.

But you can't give a fair review of Phyto if you didn't have enough to use on your whole head.

I must second DSD's "section" advice. I have uber-thick hair as well, and I must relax and neutralize half of it before moving on to the other half or my hair would be a mess. 25 minutes just isn't enough time to do all of my hair. Obviously this takes twice as long, but if I'm going to do my hair I have to do it right.

Also, if your hair wasn't straight after 40 minutes it's possible that you overprocessed. As I understand it, some people's overprocessed hair is frizzy instead of straight.

Maybe you should have went to a salon that specializes in Phyto and had a professional apply it then you could have continued to do your touch ups.

nadine1977canada said:
Oh my goodness! I am shocked:eek: I just bought a box of Index 2 and I have virgin hair....3c/4A hair. Now I'm worried that I might not have enough.LOL im thinking about buying affirmwhen i get to the salon and putting on affirm:confused:
You should try silk elements (sally's) ... it will definitely get the job done ;)

You really have to smooth if you want your hair super straight with phyto. It's much gentler than other relaxers. I used Index 1 on my all virgin brastrap length hair and I love it. But I didnt want bone straight hair. I did have to use 2 boxes and I really could have used 3 so I bought another box and did a corrective a couple weeks later. I use a whole box for my touch ups and have just enough.
Sorry it didnt work for ya.

I am SO sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy your phyto experience. I feel so terrible that you are going to have to get a corrective relaxer soon - that can be so frustrating. I hope you will get the result you are looking for with whatever corrective relaxer you choose. There are many great no lye relaxers around including Profectiv. Good luck.

virgo_chinwe said:
I was doing a wave noveau prior to the big chop....which i heard is milder than no-lye relaxers?

omg you must be my hair twin i got no bells or whistles from the phyto after 40min and it took 5ever to neutralize it had these lil crystalized chunks of relaxer in my hair. i just think im gonna get a texturizer kit and chop. i want the wave nouveu look curls or coils is what i want.

Hey Ms.Portugal you do sound like my hair twin!!! hehe. Good luck with the wave noveau swithch...no overlapping! I learned the hard way.

Ladies!! Does anybody know of any places in dallas that specialize in applying phyto relaxers??!?

I am really wary of switching relaxers again...so maybe I should..get two phyto boxes for my next relaxer? What do you ladies think?? Will my hair be asking for damage if i switch? As you can see I really wanted phyto to work for me!

Virgo chinwe,
I think you should go to a professional for the corrective, because we are not just talking about new growth here this is your whole head. Best of luck.:)

Definately go to a professional for the corrective...especially since you may have overprocessed when you left it on 40 minutes the first time.
Good luck!

Awww man. Sorry for the bad experience. Two boxes would have done it I think. I remember I touched up after 7 months and there was no way one box would have done it. It needed 1.5 boxes. That was a very expensive touch up.

If you cannot find a phyto salon in your area, take the relaxer to your hairdresser - ask her first though. That's what I did.

Give the relaxer a chance. If after 3 relaxers it is still not working for you, then you can say you gave it your best shot.

virgo_chinwe said:
DISCLAIMER:

Could it be that you didnt get good results cause you didnt have enough cream to relax your hair? I posted another post about how much phyto II i needed to relax my virgin hair and I was told i would 3 to 4 boxes to make sure.:perplexed I had only bought 1 box so im buying 3 other box @ 48$ .... ( i order it at Polly and co). I want to make sure there is enough cream fto saturate my hair and do the straightenening.:ohwell: I will let you know how it went down, I wil have to push my appointment with the salon for another week or 2 cause by the time i receive my relaxer here in canada. It will take at least 5 days or so.

Because I've been relaxing with phyto for a year, I will say that it does straighten hair BUT, it will not make it super straight.

I like it because its the only relaxer that dosen't tear my scalp to pieces, plus, I reached shoulderlength for the first time ever, and i think its not only because of care, but because I wasn't using a really strong relaxer and melting my hair off.

Phyto really isn't for everyone, but think you gave it a fair shot and it just didn't work out. You may want to try it again as a corrector, which is a bit expensive but, could be really worth it.

Because my hair has gotten longer and growing more I've no doubt I will have to use a whole box.

For a entire scalp of virgin hair (and if its shoulder length or longer too) then you probably would have needed two boxes.

I do wonder in your quest to get totally straight if you didn't maybe overprocess. Wait a04-6 weeks, make sure you condition and moisterize well, then go to see about getting a corrective at a salon. I have left phyto in a few minuts past time with good results, but never for 40 minutes.

-A

And in the mean time, I am going to strengthen my hair for a correctional relaxing treatment i will do in four weeks. But I am kinda scared to swith relaxers so soon. But my cousin who acutally applied the relaxer said after applying relaxer to her virgin hair it took 3 treatments (2 correctional) of relaxer every 4 weeks to get it bone straight...our hair is that thick. Any recommendations ladies for my next relaxer? I was considering fiberguard sensitive scalp, mizani, or QP...all of which i have never tried.[/quote]

Correctional relaxer sounds like major hair damage to me, how is this done? your hair has already been damaged by the first relaxer but to go and do another, isnt that the same as overlapping which completely disintegrates the hair at that point? Please be careful with your hair,, the first relaxer removes a certain amount of strengthening protein from the hair but to do that again will remove more and disrupt the structure so badly that you could suffer extreme breakage in the long run, the very thought of this just makes me shudder !:eek: , im sorry, im not against relaxers, and i dont mean to preach but think hard about relaxing over relaxer:)

Back