Help with PHYTO

blossomz1

I just bought phyto relaxer. I was reading the instructions and it says "do not use on hair that is relaxed with relaxers containing metallic substances." I dont know what they mean by "metallic substances". Does anyone else know? I called a phyto representative and they didn't seem to know either. I have used Dark and Lovely relaxer and also Gentle Treatment realaxer in the past.

Has anyone here used phytorelaxer after previously perming their hair with another type of relaxer? Or is phytorelaxer only for virgin hair? Thanks

I believe what they mean by "metallic substances" is hair coloring such as non-BAQ (body art quality) henna.

I use Phyto II but I initially used it on virgin hair.

I hope that you get more responses.

Thanks for ur responses. I was thinking that maybe they meant products with Sodium in it, but I'm still unsure. Anyone else know ?

Well, I used the phyto relaxer after hearing from someone at phyto that it would be ok. I had high hopes for this relaxer, but it disappointed. The relaxer has a liquid type consistency once mixed and the second I put it on my hair I felt like my scalp was on fire from start to finish. And the end results were no different than the previous relaxers I used. This product is definitely not gentle on the hair or scalp. Not worth $65 in my opinion.

Yes like the other responders mentioned, in my opinion, the manufacuter is referring to
  • NON Body art henna and
  • Thio relaxers, one that comes to mind is the wave nouveau relaxer
  • permanant dyes
I took the passage below from this website Chemical Hair Straightening Faqs
Ammonium Thioglycolate
Ammonium thioglycolate (nicknamed "thio relaxer") is much less drastic in its action than the sodium hydroxide and even, in some cases, the guanidine hydroxide. It acts a little differently by softening and relaxing overly curly hair through changes to the hair's cystine linkage.
Thio works on the same formulation principles as thioglycolate permanent waves. With a pH of 9-9.5, these are also considered to be less damaging, yet still require a neutralization step. Thioglycolate relaxers are usually in cream or gel form and can be preceded by a pre-softener.
Since thio relaxers are considered much milder, the risk of hair damage is also reduced by comparison to the sodium hydroxide.

I also just pulled the passage below from this site: No Lye Relaxer Vs. Lye Relaxer | eHow.com
Chemicals
•The difference between the two relaxers is the chemical compound responsible for the hair-straightening action. In lye relaxers, this is sodium hydroxide, and in no-lye relaxers, it is guanidine - which comes from the same metal hydroxide family as sodium hydroxide. The higher pH balance of lye relaxers means they work fast and increase the risk of over-processing the hair.
Read more: No Lye Relaxer Vs. Lye Relaxer | eHow.com No Lye Relaxer Vs. Lye Relaxer | eHow.com

From what I have pulled from these websites, I would not suggest doing this relaxer on previously relaxed hair. No matter how much we try the relaxer tends to overlap onto the previously relaxed section if you want to apply it, I would ensure the previously relaxed hair is well protected with vaseline.

Last edited:
Back