Personal Challenge: Wigging it Up

MJ

I want to use wigs during the next 8 weeks as my protective style, starting this weekend. Here are step-by-instructions of what I'm doing. I wanted to share it with you guys because I got information and ideas from the forum...

Wigging it!

pw: hair

Yep, that's a really good idea. Where is your wig from? What kinda wig is it? I wouldn't have known it was a wig had you not said anything! I hope this all works well for you :) Now if I could just learn to cornrow, maybe I could join you and ditch the babyhair eating micros as well :(

AWESOME!
Finally a challenge that I can get down with - MzJones can I please join you? I've been using wigs as my protective style for 2.5 mths and I love it. My next venture is a lacefront. Why don't we start a challenge for all the protective wig wearers? We can post our regimens, and hopefully help each other out...

Good luck yall! The wig is very pretty mzjones! I guess I've been on a challenge similar to this for the past few months. I follow a regimen very similar to yours. Moisturize, oil, satin scarf. What do you plan on wearing underneath the wig? I actually have two satin scarfs, one I sleep in and one that I wear under my lacefront after I moisturize. The one I wear under my lacefront has the long, skinny ends that I just tie around and secure.

I was just thinking about trying this through the fall in winter. I did this before during my in between stage after I cut all my hair off.

I have a ? though. How are y'all working the silk scarves under the wig? I would be scared that the slickness of them would make the wig easier to come off.

Thanks everyone!

HoneyDew, MizAvalon, LadyZ
Thanks, I tried one maybe 15-20 wigs in 3 stores before I found this one.

ichephren
It's a motown tress wig. I bought it at a BSS on Flatbush ave. for $23 (I'm going to buy one or two more after I get paid). People at work thought it was my real hair too.

BBabe
Sure, I'm up for it. I'm really going to try and wear wigs for 8 weeks.

Because of the damage caused by the kinky twist. I'm going to keep my regimine really simple and focus on moisture.

- Wednesday: Deep condition cornrows with an Aubrey's Organics conditioner followed by a plain water rinse.
- Saturday: Take cornrows down, deep condition with a homemade conditioner, followed by an ACV rinse, air dry
- Sunday: Moisturize dry hair with Gary Null conditioner followed by EVOO (this combination worked great when I first tried it this past Sat.)

angellazette
I thought about wearing a plastic cap and do a full head baggy treatment under the wig, but I don't know if that's a good thing. Also, I'm not so sure my hair likes the baggy. But thinking of it now, I may do the full head baggy at night for a week or two and see how that turns out...

I do the two scarf thing as well, a purple one for sleeping and a black one for the wig :)

kombov_dymond
I was worried that it would slip off too when I made the decision, but the cornrow going across the front helps to keep the wig in place.

I'm considering doing this for fall and wither also. My only concern is dampness and sweat since I workout daily. I don't have enough time in the morning to let braided hair dry before putting on a wig. Since I work part time, I might be able to do this and just take the wig off when I get back home. What do you guys think? Will damp braids under a wig for 5 hours max cause any problems?

good2uuuu said:
I'm considering doing this for fall and wither also. My only concern is dampness and sweat since I workout daily. I don't have enough time in the morning to let braided hair dry before putting on a wig. Since I work part time, I might be able to do this and just take the wig off when I get back home. What do you guys think? Will damp braids under a wig for 5 hours max cause any problems?

The scarf may absorb some of the moisture. But on the Crown and Glory website, Robin said wet hair under wig may cause premature balding Crown & Glory Wig Regime

i'm in i'm thinking about wigging it for like 3months this split end situation has me really wanting to chop!!!! must protect myself from myself

I want in too.

I am doing something similar with my instant weave. I have a human 3/4 fall and 2 synthetic ones. Since I just relaxed my hair (on Saturday) it won't hold braids so I wrap at night and put in small ponytails under the weave. I have been putting oil on my scalp at night before I wrap-that helps alot because before I could never get my hair to wrap at all.

Good Luck ladies

Last edited:
good2uuuu said:

So you workout before work? Well I spritz my hair every morning and get it pretty damp and then put on my scarf. I have no problems with this, but I'm not sure about sweat sitting in the hair. I also take mine off every night after work.

OK. I would have NEVER guessed that. I will try this as well. Thanks!

mzjones said:
kombov_dymond
I was worried that it would slip off too when I made the decision, but the cornrow going across the front helps to keep the wig in place.

kombov_dymond said:
I was just thinking about trying this through the fall in winter. I did this before during my in between stage after I cut all my hair off.

I have a ? though. How are y'all working the silk scarves under the wig? I would be scared that the slickness of them would make the wig easier to come off.

The lacefront has hooks in the back that are adjustable for a tighter or looser fit.

I just bought (2) INSTANT WEAVES this weekend!

They are so much lighter and secure than a regular wig. I'm wearing one right now, and literally forgot it was on my head. ;)

mzjones said:
I want to use wigs during the next 8 weeks as my protective style, starting this weekend. Here are step-by-instructions of what I'm doing. I wanted to share it with you guys because I got information and ideas from the forum...

Wigging it!

pw: hair

Mzjones, you are too cute..... :)

angellazette said:
So you workout before work? Well I spritz my hair every morning and get it pretty damp and then put on my scarf. I have no problems with this, but I'm not sure about sweat sitting in the hair. I also take mine off every night after work.

LOL! Guess I should have explained. Sweat doesn't sit on my hair any longer than it takes me to get home from the gym and shower. I conditioner rinse daily. I colud probably rise, towel wrap and then do two cornrows and then it wouldn't be too bad.

good2uuuu said:
LOL! Guess I should have explained. Sweat doesn't sit on my hair any longer than it takes me to get home from the gym and shower. I conditioner rinse daily. I colud probably rise, towel wrap and then do two cornrows and then it wouldn't be too bad.

Oh ok! ;)

Bbabe:

I joined the baggy challenge as well, this is what I posted on that thread:

I started last night too. I'm wearing cornrows under a wig, but I baggied hanging ends of the cornrows and then slept with a plastic cap over my head.

Goal: spray with homemade braid spray, seal ends with hair butter, and jojoba oil to remainder of the hair. I will
- sleep (night only) with plastic cap 5 days/week
- baggie ends all day 5 days/week

I will do this for 8 weeks.

Great, this is going to be a great challenge. I've been wiggin' it for almost 3 mths so far and plan on using wigs until I hit my mid back goal. My album has the different wig styles that I've found.
My head is always covered either with a wig or wrap when I'm outside, and I actually only wear a wig about 3x a week, so washing often has actually become redundant. I'm keeping it in thin no extension cornrows for as long as possible, and only washing every 2 weeks.

My current crazy experimental regimen:
Daily:
ALWAYS spritz my hair as soon as I remove my wig
Baggie whole head about 3x a week
every 2nd day mtg on scalp
Spritz w/ mix of rosewater, castor oil etc. (optional/as needed)

(optional/as needed) Weekly:
Deep con w/ cholestral and/or Black castor oil

Every 2 weeks (yes 2 weeks):
(optional) prepoo w/ cocunut oil
poo with diluted Aveda Brillance
reconstruct w/ Aveda Curressence
deep con or steam with w/ cholestral and/or Black castor oil
partially rinse
add ntm leave in
mtg on scalp
Black castor oil on ends

Ladies pls post your regimen and any tips, such as what type/size scarf, styling tips, regimen tips, lacefront considerations/advice etc. I think this will be an awesome thread and a great way for us to help us with our wigs. TY Mzjones.

Hi MzJones I've decided to where wigs for a protective style whilst growing my hair as well. Can you post your password again so I can see your pics? Also are you wearing a synthetic wig or human hair? I know nothing about caring for either and will have to learn.

Back