Perm Rods didn't come out right....why?

mscounselor

Im am 9months post and tried to do a perm rod set. It wouldn't wrap tight no matter how I tried. So I ask....if I have done this before...many times and it was fine then.

What happened this time?
Is it the rubber?
Is it my ng?

Help me figure it out....

TIA!

It's probably your newgrowth. Maybe you need a different size rod now or maybe you'll need to switch to magnetic rollers. Hang in there. I think I've read that months 7-9 are the worst when transitioning.

It's your NG.
The same thing happen to me.
I find that magnetic rollers work much better, especially when you have a lot of NG.

Don't have an answer for you but why not try the flexi-rods? I know that naturals have success with using them.

Cherokee said:
Don't have an answer for you but why not try the flexi-rods? I know that naturals have success with using them.
I've tried those and they didn't stay in earlier in my transition. It looks so much easier when the pros do it.

As far as magnetic, are your referring to the plastic rollers with covers on them? I have the ones you use pins with and detangling was crazy enough without having to use those.....Although the set came out rather nice...

Would a straw set work? I saw someone with them this weekend and I stared the entire time.

Yes I agree...months 7-9 are the toughest...especially without the ability to get it braided for a while.

You can successfully do a perm rod set. My trick to tighten the rod is to wrap the band once around when you close the roller. There are two little grooves on each side of a perm rod and if you wrap the band, it will slide into the other groove and sit against your scalp, making the roller tighter. Also, smaller sections are better when using these. HTH.

I would have never figured this out. Thanks for sharing.

crlsweetie912 said:
You can successfully do a perm rod set. My trick to tighten the rod is to wrap the band once around when you close the roller. There are two little grooves on each side of a perm rod and if you wrap the band, it will slide into the other groove and sit against your scalp, making the roller tighter. Also, smaller sections are better when using these. HTH.

mscounselor said:
I've tried those and they didn't stay in earlier in my transition. It looks so much easier when the pros do it.

As far as magnetic, are your referring to the plastic rollers with covers on them? I have the ones you use pins with and detangling was crazy enough without having to use those.....Although the set came out rather nice...

Would a straw set work? I saw someone with them this weekend and I stared the entire time.

Yes I agree...months 7-9 are the toughest...especially without the ability to get it braided for a while.

I am natural and I had a straw set done a couple of weeks ago. She used the flexi-rods. When she took them out, she seperated each one into like 3-4. It looked just like I had a strawset done.

Cherokee said:
I am natural and I had a straw set done a couple of weeks ago. She used the flexi-rods. When she took them out, she seperated each one into like 3-4. It looked just like I had a strawset done.

Oh...ok..cool...I wonder how much they will charge me...:confused:

Back