Perm, Relaxer or Touch up..

plzgrow

To all the hair guru... I have a question that I am not sure has been asked before but i really want to know what is the diffrence between a perm, relaxer and a touch up. I thought a perm and a relaxer is the same thing... and a touch up is when they do just the new growth, but is that not a perm as well. Im so confused can someone, anyone define the diffrence between these services.

A perm is chemical processing of the hair to produce a curl pattern, while a relaxer is to straighten the hair. Now people often use the terms perm and relaxer interchangeably in reference to the relaxer. A virgin application is when the relaxer is applied to the whole head, while a touch-up is only applied to the "new growth."

Sweet C said:
A perm is chemical processing of the hair to produce a curl pattern, while a relaxer is to straighten the hair. Now people often use the terms perm and relaxer interchangeably in reference to the relaxer. A virgin application is when the relaxer is applied to the whole head, while a touch-up is only applied to the "new growth."
Exactly! :yep:

Also, I read that relaxers were referred to as perms, years ago and that's why some people still call them such. I knew that there had to be a reason why so many people did that! Also, I noticed that I seldom here older people say relaxer.

Back