Perm Dirty Hair Myth

Calia001

Where did that come from?
When i was in H.S my hair used to be its junkiest before getting a relaxer and i never saw a problem with it. Especially because everyone says thats what your supposed to do.

Maybe it had something to do with the sebaceous gland oiling the scalp or something as a natural base for the scalp

I now wash as well as protein treat my hair before a relaxer ( you know saturday evening the egg COOKED in my hair?? 6 MONTHS OF NEWGROWTH HAIR!:wallbash:) I digress

so who knows?

Really.... who knows?

Where did that come from?
When i was in H.S my hair used to be its junkiest before getting a relaxer and i never saw a problem with it. Especially because everyone says thats what your supposed to do.

Maybe it had something to do with the sebaceous gland oiling the scalp or something as a natural base for the scalp

I now wash as well as protein treat my hair before a relaxer ( you know saturday evening the egg COOKED in my hair?? 6 MONTHS OF NEWGROWTH HAIR!:wallbash:) I digress

so who knows?

Really.... who knows?

I think that could be the case. When I wash my hair 1-2 days before my relaxer I make sure I dont wash/manipulate the scalp, only the hair and now I dont burn.

It was for making sure you had a dirty scalp so your scalp was protected from the chemical relaxer. Yep grew up with that as well.

Yea, I think the word dirty is relative and subjective. I know you shouldn't relax freshly washed hair, but after 2 or 3 days, when it's safe to relax, my hair is not dirty, but it's not fresh anymore either. "Dirty" hair protects you from scalp burns.

I did my friend's relaxer once...and I do mean only once. Her hair was dirty...and surprise surprise the relaxer didn't straighten out not even one strand.

I think you're on the right track. I'm guessing the dirt/natural oils can act as a protective barrier for the hair and scalp.

I also think that washing hair, removing braids etc can sometimes cause tiny scratches on the scalp, and you don't want relaxer getting into those.

Back