Perfect Wash Day

I don't care for mixing up stuff but that egg prepoo is just right. I use it before shampooing and DCing. Joico K-Pak line is the bomb.com. When I use that Joico K-Pak line right after my egg prepoo and use Kerecare Leave-in for natural hair. Ooh Mama! That is THE wash day of the century for me.

Unfortunately I have 50-11 products and need to use them up so when I feel like my hair is acting up again, I go back to the above regimen and my hair is right again. This does not include when I use my J. Monique's Naturals Dead Sea Mud Wash (detoxes my hair and scalp) which I use only once a month. This stuff is awesome and simply makes my hair behave well with any product.

Last edited:
@Aggie that mud wash sounds great. Why only once a month?
@Prettymetty

It is a detox mud wash. I don't need my hair detoxed more often than that. I can use it maybe every 2 - 3 weeks but I really don't need to based on what I'm doing to my hair on a regular basis. It makes my hair soft and incredibly manageable - I don't want to over it. I feel that too much of a good thing could turn out to be bad if not balanced.

Neat question!

:yep: I have previously discovered what I felt like was the "perfect wash day routine" (I documented my latest such routine here: https://longhaircareforum.com/threa...hair-care-regimen.808893/page-3#post-23861975).

However, I keep tweaking it for two reasons:
  1. I'm steady improving upon "the perfect wash day routine" :lol:, and
  2. I feel like I can find a way to combine steps and/or find a product that multitasks.
So, for example, I'm on the lookout for a deep conditioning clay-containing cleanser that detangles well. With a product like that, I would just apply it to my strands and detangle with it, apply my scalp cleanser, rinse everything out . . . and then be enabled to spend the MAJORITY of my time on what takes up a lot of time: styling and drying.

As it currently is, I have so many steps in my wash routine that I often end up saving more complex styling for later because I just can't do ALL of everything on one day. I'd like to change that, so even though I feel like I've had the bomb wash day before, I'm still trying things! :smile:

Quick Question: Has anyone found the perfect wash day routine?

If so, do you repeat it every time or keep experimenting?
I've pretty much had the same wash day routine and products for at least 7 yrs. It's fast, easy, and works. I may add something here and there but the bulk of it stays the same. I've got it down to a science and really wouldn't feel right doing it any other way.

I may experiment with little things like adding steam or heat to my dc's, or trying a prepoo but that's about it. The only time I experiment is if I feel my hair is lacking in some way and once I find what works I stop. I really do think that's the main reason I've never really had any setbacks except when I use to abuse heat.

I pretty much have these steps each wash day:
Overnight scalp and length prepoo with coconut oil

Kerastase Therapiste prewash treatment (helps remove the oil)

Wash hair twice w/sulfate free poo-currently I am using Giovanni 2Chic Ultra Moist

Towel blot and dc under a plastic cap for about an hour (Mizani Thermasmooth is my new bae)

Rinse with diluted acv

Then I undo 1 plait at a time and detangle as I add leave in. Sometimes I tension blow dry before I rebraid.

Quick Question: Has anyone found the perfect wash day routine?

If so, do you repeat it every time or keep experimenting?

I perfected my wash routine, but I am testing out a prepoo to replace my DIY mix and figuring out how to rotate my antidandruff shampoos.

My perfect wash day consists of:
  1. overnight prepoo with a DIY mix
  2. scalp exfoliation with a DIY mix
  3. diluted shampoo with Ion Hard Water shampoo or an antidandruff shampoo if needed.
  4. Steam DC with ITDF Marshmallow Moisture Balm + GVP Nexxus Humectress. Leave in.
  5. Braid my hair into 6 plaits (with Wetline Gel/Olive Oil mix) that I can wear under a wig, bunned, or as a braidout. Rebraid at night if undone.
  6. Protein once a month. Color every other month. Trims 2x a year

Honestly, all of my wash days go perfectly. Simple, quick and effective. I experiment with deep conditioners and stylers out of boredom. I can do the full routine in an hour and 30 minutes, an hour if I don't do a protein treatment. I repeat the same steps every week. The only products in my routine that remain constant are my shampoo, Redken cleansing cream, my leave-in, Garnier fructis sleek n shine cream and APB's honey body glaze to seal. DC and stylers change depending on my mood.

I might experiment with oil rinsing because a poster I trust swears by it. Otherwise, my wash day below is already long. :frown:

I want to find a product that will allow me to combine steps 2, 4, and 5. Perhaps Natty Naturals rhassoul DC or anjeupendo's (Etsy . com's) conditioning clay cleanser?

Steps in my current "perfect wash day":
  1. Section hair into 8 sections using those Kimmay-tube -recommended updo barrettes/clips
  2. Pre-poo (or pre-wash condition) and start the detangling process by elongating and de-webbing each section
  3. Apply scalp cleanser and let everything sit for a few minutes
  4. Wash length and scalp: In the shower, unclip a section, apply smidgen of cleanser, rinse with water and finger detangle, clip the section back up and move on to the next section.
  5. Apply whatever necessary treatments
  6. LOC (AVJ, Curly Proverbz DIY hair growth oil, Curl Junkie Smoothing Lotion)
  7. Styler: Usually gel . . . or gel over butter or cream. Sometimes I brush my stylers through. Sometimes I just praying-hands-method my stylers in.
  8. Styling: Twist, install flexirods, or wng . . . and dry the hair.

Last edited:
I have a couple of those barrettes that she uses @YvetteWithJoy. Is it difficult using them on wet hair? I might try your sectioning method when I buy more clips. For now I wash and condition in loose braids.

It's not difficult at all. In fact, it makes it a breeze. I have 8. I clip them in at the root such that I have 4 ponytail puffs on each half of my head. Then I do everything with them in, removing and reclipping them one by one as needed.

I chose to try them because I was concerned about the constant twisting and retwisting during washing, DCing, detangling and then MORE manipulation for styling.

@shortdub78 heat works best for me when roller setting. My air dried hair and my heat dried hair have a different feel. For the longest, I was looking for my air dried hair to feel softer like heat dried hair and that's just not possible (for me). Using different products on my air dried hair helped it to dry softer and less rough feeling. Product combination makes a huge difference in my air drying success.

@AbsyBlvd my air dried hair has always had a rough texture, relaxed and natural. My relaxed hair was more forgiving with heat drying than my natural hair. I think that's because my natural hair is on the drier side so heat just makes it even drier. I haven't played around with product combinations to know what works best for heat drying as a natural.

@AbsyBlvd my air dried hair has always had a rough texture, relaxed and natural. My relaxed hair was more forgiving with heat drying than my natural hair. I think that's because my natural hair is on the drier side so heat just makes it even drier. I haven't played around with product combinations to know what works best for heat drying as a natural.

Same. I haven't done much heat drying/ styling to my hair this time round to experiment. Now I am so used to my air-dried hair, once styled it feels smooth enough. As a relaxed head, I never ever air-dried.

My wash day routine perfectly works for me...
The routine stays the same, but the products change based on what I feel my hair needs...

Prepoo with Regular Virgin Coconut Oil early in the day, or if a hot oil treatment is needed then I'll use that instead. The only time I don't prepoo is when I need to clarify, which is barely, maybe every two months or so...

Shampoo later in the day with a sulfate free shampoo. Either moisturizing or protein based depending on the need of my hair.

Condition with either/or as well. Throw on a shower cap while I bathe myself, when I'done bathing, shaving or doing whatever, I wash the conditoner out.

Then come out the shower, section hair in 4 parts, apply DC, comb hair all in one, throw on a plastic shower cap, sit under hooded dryer for 30 mins. Rinse in the kitchen sink with cool water.
And put my hair in a micro fiber towel.

Last steps, section hair into four parts apply either a moisturizer or leave in. Seal with Jojoba Oil or this Olive Miracle growth oil that I use with my Olive Miracle moisturizer.

Put my silk scarf around my shoulders and just do whatever it is I'm doing around the house until my hair gets about 85%-90% dry and then plait it in one at the back, bun it and put on a bonnet.

I’m still in search of the perfect wash day routine. So far I have a scalp massage, then prepoo my length. Next I’ll later twice. Finally I’ll use a conditioner with slip and detangle before I get out of the shower. I’ll try that out tomorrow.

Back