People's Court - Woman's Hair Disintegrated by Relaxer!!!

I see your point. If she had done a strand test by coating her hair with relaxer, then, after 5 minutes, looked up and realized that strand was missing, she wouldn't have done the rest of her head. BTW, never a better time than to use this smiley: :pullhair:

But I'll bet you 100 more keystrokes that MOST DIY relaxer users don't do a strand test every time -- especially if it's a brand they've used before.

I really sympathize with this lady.

I don't do strand tests either but I wouldn't go blaming someone else because all my hair fell out.

I don't sympathize with people who don't follow the rules.

If you don't want to follow directions you have no one to blame but yourself.

I don't do strand tests either but I wouldn't go blaming someone else because all my hair fell out.

:yep:

And that's the bottom line. :perplexed

JustKiya, as a fellow natural, you may or may not know the answer to this, but someone else may: do the instructions on a relaxer say "Check the expiration date?" Do those of you who are relaxed routinely check when you buy?

Back when i was relaxed, I sure didn't...

Seems like the store should bear some responsibility for selling expired products. What if your grocer was selling expired dry goods?

.........Or do processed grocer dry goods ever expire :ohwell:

Seems like the store should bear some responsibility for selling expired products. What if your grocer was selling expired dry goods?

Welllllll.

They usually have a 'Best Before' date, but I don't think dry goods have a 'Do Not sell After' date, like cold/meat/dairy products do.

*digs out can of peanuts from her desk drawer*

Okay, they have a 'sell by' date - in the middle of next year.

And do relaxers actually expire? I know some products specifically state that you cannot sell them after a certain date - I don't know if relaxers have that on their package. Considering she lost, I assume they don't, because if they did, then yes, the BSS would be partially liable.

This reminds me of a story I read in a local newspaper of a woman who wanted to know the ID of her sperm donor so she can do a paternity test and take him to court for child support.

I see. I'm not a litigious person, so I may not have sued either. But, if I -- heaven forbid -- went out and unknowingly bought a 2006 relaxer in 2009, and as per my routine, didn't do a strand test, and all my hair falls out, I know I wouldn't just shrug my shoulders and head to the wig shop. I certainly would have at the very least stopped by the BSS first to tell them they need to check their inventory.

And even though this BSS was not found culpable, I'll bet you...hmm...10,000 keystrokes that they and other BSS owners watching, will make a better effort to keep their inventory current.

I see. I'm not a litigious person, so I may not have sued either. But, if I -- heaven forbid -- went out and unknowingly bought a 2006 relaxer in 2009, and as per my routine, didn't do a strand test, and all my hair falls out, I know I wouldn't just shrug my shoulders and head to the wig shop. I certainly would have at the very least stopped by the BSS first to tell them they need to check their inventory.

And even though this BSS was not found culpable, I'll bet you...hmm...10,000 keystrokes that they and other BSS owners watching, will make a better effort to keep their inventory current.

I don't see anything wrong with letting the BSS know thier error, as long as you know that it's ultimately your fault for not checking what you put in your hair.

Oooh I saw that today too. When the judge was reading the box she said it was super super super strength lol. That woman knew better than to even have a relaxer that just had one super on the box because she said herself she had thin hair to begin with. After 3 years the strength of that relaxer was still as strong as super so that's probably why her hair fell out.
Damn!!:blush::blush:

JustKiya, as a fellow natural, you may or may not know the answer to this, but someone else may: do the instructions on a relaxer say "Check the expiration date?" Do those of you who are relaxed routinely check when you buy?

I didn't either like thousands of other women. You ASSUME that a relaxer from 2006 would be off the shelves by now.

No wonder peeps don't want to f___k with Shaniqua's beauty supply and go to Miss Kim's instead. Look at this *ish! And *itch had nerve to laugh too??!

The business owner should be cited for selling stuff that old, but hopefully other women will check expiration dates on their hair products in the future. I know I will.

I see your point. If she had done a strand test by coating her hair with relaxer, then, after 5 minutes, looked up and realized that strand was missing, she wouldn't have done the rest of her head. BTW, never a better time than to use this smiley: :pullhair:

But I'll bet you 100 more keystrokes that MOST DIY relaxer users don't do a strand test every time -- especially if it's a brand they've used before.
I really sympathize with this lady.

I don't. But I will now!

I think I saw that episode and I didnt understand why she chose to get a super relaxer if her hair was already thin.

This is why they tell you to do a strand test.

Don't follow the instructions, and you have no case. That's the whole point of the warning labels - to cover their arses so that when ish like this does happen, they can say - see, user error! Not our fault - we PUT the directions on the box. :nono:

I know, but it seems odd to have to do a strand test every time if you're using the same relaxer. What if she did a strand test with a previous box of the same brand?

I know, but it seems odd to have to do a strand test every time if you're using the same relaxer. What if she did a strand test with a previous box of the same brand?

Thats what I was wondering. I bought a tub of mizani and last time I relaxed I had no problems. if I'm using the same tub do I need to strand test again?

The box says errytime - even if you've used it before - at least that's what the color boxes say.

Heck, I strand test each new batch of henna I use, to, and that's straight plant. Companies change formulas too often to be confident that what worked before will work the same now, and there are reports of women suddenly becoming allergic to a product they've used before, too. :perplexed

I never check the expiration dates on anything. When I used to relax my hair I just trusted that whatever I bought was just fine.

I really enjoy the court TV shows. My favorite is Judge Hatchett.

One in particular really made me so MAD! A women was suing a hair dresser because the relaxer burned her two year old's neck.

First of all, why put a relaxer on a two year old? The hair dresser said he didn't want to, but his boss made him do it after being assured by the mom that this was the kids second relaxer.

I'm still heated over this.

I never do a strand test :look: but I DO check expiration dates. I will stand in the store for however long it takes looking at expiration dates on relaxers. I've left without purchasing because I couldn't see the date properly. I feel for her but I see why she lost the case.

I wish i was at home! I'm sick at work with zebra-pig-elephant flu ugghh i shouldn't have come to work today!!!!

Off Topic:uhh EXSUSE ME! *rolls eyes with hands on hips* Whatcha doing with my baby daddy laid up in yo' siggy like he yo' man?! Its not popp'n like that hunny! I demand you remove my hubby RIGHT NOW *puts vaseline on face*

:lachen::lachen::lachen: Love your sense of humor, you have a way with words.:yep:

P.S Sorry to hear you are feeling :ill: go home get some:sleeping:.

Coincidentally, I saw this episode while I was @ the beauty shop getting my hair relaxed last month. :lachen: My hair stylist said that the woman should've went after the relaxer company instead of the store for damages. Then it was mentioned that the relaxer was a Super, so we then said that the woman's hair was probably too thin for a Super relaxer. That was probably the reason why her hair fell out right there.

Judge Milian was trying to figure out if the numbers on the box was the expiration date, but who knows. The woman also didn't follow the directions correctly. :nono: Poor thing, hopefully her hair is growing back ok.

Last edited:
I wish i was at home! I'm sick at work with zebra-pig-elephant flu ugghh i shouldn't have come to work today!!!!

Off Topic:uhh EXSUSE ME! *rolls eyes with hands on hips* Whatcha doing with my baby daddy laid up in yo' siggy like he yo' man?! Its not popp'n like that hunny! I demand you remove my hubby RIGHT NOW *puts vaseline on face*
I lol'd so hard at this one!:lachen::lachen:
a permie's worst nightmare
:nono: Terrible. I checked expiration dates, but I didn't do strand tests each and every time either.

OT, but *Happily Me* your hair is GAWJUS!! :drool:

Welllllll.

They usually have a 'Best Before' date, but I don't think dry goods have a 'Do Not sell After' date, like cold/meat/dairy products do.

*digs out can of peanuts from her desk drawer*

Okay, they have a 'sell by' date - in the middle of next year.

And do relaxers actually expire? I know some products specifically state that you cannot sell them after a certain date - I don't know if relaxers have that on their package. Considering she lost, I assume they don't, because if they did, then yes, the BSS would be partially liable.
I once bought some evaporated milk from the grocery store and did not know that it was expired until I mixed it with my eggs and noticed that the bottom looked gunky. I took it back to the store and they offered me a new unexpired can and threw in a box of eggs for my trouble.

After reading this story, I will be sure to check the expiration date and do a strand test also:yep:

Another reminder that your have to be careful where you get your product... me personally, i definitely get my chemicals, relaxers and rinse, from Sally (their stock rotates).

I actually feel sorry for the lady. I know she's at fault but I still feel bad. That could have been me or most other relaxed women. I don't think most of us check for expiration dates and do strand tests.

This is a great example of learning from somebody elses mistakes.

I agree, the store should be liable because I'm sure that they are supposed to remove expired products from the shelves. Your absolutely right what if it was the grocery store.

Those directions do say to do a strand test each and every time.
I remember watching one of those shows,and a lady was suing her hairdresser because the color she put in her hair caused her to have a severe allergic reaction:nono::nono:
It looked terrible.
Her whole face swelled up,and her scalp had severe burns all over.

The hairdresser's argument was that she had had the same color done before,and that she left the salon and she was fine.

The judge toldher that it was her responsibility to do the strand test because people sometimes develop allergies to chemicals over time.So a product may work just fine one time,but another time,your body may just not be feeling it:nono:.

Back