People with long hair and wack a$$ regimens

apemay1969

Two of the women in my office have long hair and the other one has shoulder length hair. They were talking hair and I wanted to talk with them about things soooooo bad. They were talking about holding curls and I wanted to share information that I learned on the board. I said 'curlformers' and 'lottabody' and they looked at me, looked at my bun and kept talking - in a nice way.

I felt stupid and baldheaded.:lachen: My hair is getting better but it's barely collar length and usually in a bun.

They were talking about things that made sense to me and some that didn't. I just didn't feel qualified to contribute because my hair isn't as long as theirs right now - it has been in the past though but they don't know that.

I don't know. Hair is a deep issue for us women, especially AA women. I bought some BT for my mom and she won't even use it because she says that my hair isn't long enough to be helping her.

Doesn't healthy and getting there count? That affected my self esteem. I've learned so much from you guys but I guess until somebody asks me about my regimen than I'll have something to offer.

Two of the women in my office have long hair and the other one has shoulder length hair. They were talking hair and I wanted to talk with them about things soooooo bad. They were talking about holding curls and I wanted to share information that I learned on the board. I said 'curlformers' and 'lottabody' and they looked at me, looked at my bun and kept talking - in a nice way.

I felt stupid and baldheaded.:lachen: My hair is getting better but it's barely collar length and usually in a bun.

They were talking about things that made sense to me and some that didn't. I just didn't feel qualified to contribute because my hair isn't as long as theirs right now - it has been in the past though but they don't know that.

I don't know. Hair is a deep issue for us women, especially AA women. I bought some BT for my mom and she won't even use it because she says that my hair isn't long enough to be helping her.

Doesn't healthy and getting there count? That affected my self esteem. I've learned so much from you guys but I guess until somebody asks me about my regimen than I'll have something to offer.

aww girl don't sweat that .. brush that off your shoulders. If your keeping your hair healthy now just imagine how long and healthy it will be at the end of this year. You will reach your goal in no time and before you know it they gonna be asking you about your regimen!!!

Just remember "nobody can make you feel inferior or insignificant....you agree to take that assessment." That's one of those balls that you don't have to catch if thrown! Lessons from Maya Angelou

Honestly, seeing is believing. I tried to tell my friend about (RIP) about stretching relaxers and she just looked at me. Her hair was thick APL. I was barely neck length.

Thats the reason I dont tell people about hair because I havent made big progress yet. So i do think it's better to wait until you have progress (which could be health or length) until you share advice or else it could fall on deaf ears.

The same way you wouldnt take financial advice from someone who's always broke....

I think you should be so proud of your progress. I seen a girl who had collar bone length hair it was obviously healthy and shinny and I was so envious, especially of her ends and thickness. I have to catch myself because if I see pretty hair I stare and stare. They has gotten me in trouble before:sad:. If you know what your talking about you can always feel confident about contributing. You have knowledge they might need and they missed out.

I agree with the other ladies. Don't sweat it. As long as your hair is healthy, that's all that matters. I'd rather have short healthy hair then long damaged thin hair.

Maybe as your hair grows they will start listening. But it's kind of hard to take advice from someone who doesn't have the end result they are going for. Kind of like you wouldn't want an overweight personal trainer. I'm sure as you progress they will want to know how your hair is growing so "fast"

Don't let anyone make you feel inferior, though

Last edited:
aww girl don't sweat that .. brush that off your shoulders. If your keeping your hair healthy now just imagine how long and healthy it will be at the end of this year. You will reach your goal in no time and before you know it they gonna be asking you about your regimen!!!

Exactly!!! Don't feel bad. I agree, before you know it when one of them ask you a hair question the room will be silent and all eyes and ears will be only on you.

I am so sorry to hear that; I think family can be the harshest sometimes on the road to healthy/long/natural hair, whatever your goal is. As long as YOU see some progress, I wouldn't say another word to anyone about your regimen. Then by this time next year, they'll be able to see your progress and then they'll be asking you what you do.

Keep your head up and don't buy into the negativity! :bighug:

p.s. You're not hardly bald! :grin:

I am so sorry to hear that; I think family can be the harshest sometimes on the road to healthy/long/natural hair, whatever your goal is. As long as YOU see some progress, I wouldn't say another word to anyone about your regimen. Then by this time next year, they'll be able to see your progress and then they'll be asking you what you do.

Keep your head up and don't buy into the negativity! :bighug:

p.s. You're not hardly bald! :grin:

ITA and with my sista that said "seeing is believing". Im guilty of this myself sometimes too....
One of my sisters saw that my hair was getting longer (though i try to keep my hair hidden), & one day a while back she mentioned that she was waiting to relax. I knew she meant stretching. She stretched a few extra weeks one good time and when she finally relaxed she saw a bit more length just like I had been telling her she would. So she planned to start doing it more. Eventually, people will take you seriously when they see results and see you know what you talkin about. :grin: I'll leave you with this:

You know the saying "If you build it, they will come." Well, This is a twist : "If you grow it (healthy & long), they will come." :lol:

I'm impressed with healthy hair.....no matter the length. You don't have to wait until your hair is touching your butt to offer your two cents. Healthier tresses can be achieved in a relatively short span of time.

Now...if a person has 20 inches of split ends they can't tell me anything!

Yea ITA don't sweat that chick! I have a girlfriend who wants to grow her hair sooo long but she does all the wrong stuff...IMO. My hair was longer when she met me but I had to cut it b/c of some stupid stuff (i did)... Any how, I kept it that way for awhile so I guess she forgot the length it was (longer than her current length of which is a few inches past SL). So when I tell her something she looks at me sideways like **** u don't have no hair... LOL. However since I've decided to grow it out and she can see me getting progress...she ask me for my opinion more...who would've thought...:drunk:

I had the same thing happen to me. One year and 6 inches later the doubters are be begging me for information. Stay focused, shake off the negative feelings and be encouraged that you are making progress and will reach your goal length soon.

Man Don't feel bad!! I feel the SAME way. Yesterday I let my friend wrap my hair. She asked which way do I wrap it, I said it doesn't matter I wrap it different ways. My friend is gonna say what do you mean it doesn't matter, that's why your hair is like that (it was messed up this is my 8 week post). You should in one direction because that will make it grow....i tried to explain actually wrapping in one way will break your hairline and cause breakage on one side....they told me that's why my hair looks the way it does....just wait till my hair is at least APL, they'll listen then i bet!

Man Don't feel bad!! I feel the SAME way. Yesterday I let my friend wrap my hair. She asked which way do I wrap it, I said it doesn't matter I wrap it different ways. My friend is gonna say what do you mean it doesn't matter, that's why your hair is like that (it was messed up this is my 8 week post). You should in one direction because that will make it grow....i tried to explain actually wrapping in one way will break your hairline and cause breakage on one side....they told me that's why my hair looks the way it does....just wait till my hair is at least APL, they'll listen then i bet!

Oh, I'm sorry about that. That never feels good when someone discredits something that you completely believe in. That's how my mom is. She wears her 'ho hats' everyday and when I tell her that the wig is breaking her edges off, she says 'well why are yours broken off then?' I usually just fold my feelings up and walk towards the door.:lachen:

I am going to pray to keep my mouth shut. Even when she busts out the flatiron and pressing comb on hair that hasn't been washed in 10 days.:yep:

don't feel bad girl! it happens to me all the time. i always try to offer tips and help to the girls in my dorm but i have a twa and before that my hair was barely chin length so they dont usually take heed, however i have a head full of healthy curly kinky hair that is "getting there." you just keep growing girl! they'll learn eventually.

I had the same thing happen to me. One year and 6 inches later the doubters are be begging me for information. Stay focused, shake off the negative feelings and be encouraged that you are making progress and will reach your goal length soon.

same with me...*singing a part from Jay -Z's Encore* "when your first come in the game...they try to play you:rolleyes:...shake that off! Those same women will want your advice later on...it's called karma:look:

Honestly, seeing is believing. I tried to tell my friend about (RIP) about stretching relaxers and she just looked at me. Her hair was thick APL. I was barely neck length.

Thats the reason I dont tell people about hair because I havent made big progress yet. So i do think it's better to wait until you have progress (which could be health or length) until you share advice or else it could fall on deaf ears.

The same way you wouldnt take financial advice from someone who's always broke....

Seing IS believing. My homegirl and I have been talking about the hair boards ad nauseum to her sister. Now that she [the sister] has seen our results she is so ON the bandwagon and doing very well.

But haven't we experienced this on this site as well? People who don't post pics/ progress pics don't get the same following or others might not readily accept their advice or recommendation. It's human nature...

Back