People who wear wigs and weaves assumed to have jacked up hair?

An_Original_Copy

That's how I feel around some of my family members. About 12 yrs. ago when i was nine my step-mom did something to my hair, i don't know what, but it coused it to break, and eventually i had short a$$ hair that was damaged. well i wore hair pieces throughout middle school and high school, even though it grew back by eight grade, and by senior year my hair was only neck length, but VERY healthy. Anyway, I saw some family members who saw my real hair and was like, "oh, it's nice, but don't you normally wear wigs and stuff". Like it was a bad thing. It seems that people assume that if a woman wears a wig then her hair is automatically short and damaged without any possiblity to grow. My step-sis, out my sister and me was always the one out of the three of us who had the longest hair. It NEVER got past 2" from armpit length, but as far as everyone was concerned, she had hair. Me, I still wear wigs as a way to protect my hair, but the funny thing is, is that my hair is now cruisin' past my step-sis' hair, and is getting thicker and healthier. her hair was never past 2" from arm-pit length whereas mine IS arm-pit length! My goal is bra-strap, and that's when I'll wear my real hair out.

Anyone else overcome hostility, and grow your hair when others doubted you?

I have that same syndrome: when I see people with braids, my gut tells me that they have short hair. Wigs too, weaves too... ESPECIALLY MICROS. It is only because: in the past the only people I saw with wigs/weaves/braids barely had hair.

After joining this site, I am slowly not believing that anymore. But each time I see someone in the street with braids and see how short their real hair is, the stigma sticks.

Uh...well.......

The only reason I wore weaves and wigs is because my hair was damaged and jacked up.

Most people I know that wear weaves and wigs have hair that is damaged, jacked up, short, or have nappy hair and are ashamed. :lachen:

But I do have 1 emergency wig that I've only worn twice this year.
Y'all, I went to my dad's house and forgot to pack my afro pick and StaSofFro.....my s*** was looking a fool!!!! :lachen:

i assume they may have short hair, but i don't go out of my way to make them feel bad or hurt their feelings about it. some of my family member's would may little comments about it, but it's getting better now that i know my hair is longer than most of their's now :grin:

A lot of people who wear weaves/wigs have messed up hair. :lol: But that does not include everyone. I wear weaves & will continue until my hair reaches bra clasp length (currently 12-13 inches). It is not because my hair is short & damaged. Heck, I may continue to wear them for a long time because I like to wear different lengths & textures.

I think it is the assumtion but if you've had hair damage and you want to use hair assitance to get your hair together it's nothing to be ashamed of, go on ahead and do what you got to do.
I switch from sewn in weaves to phony ponys, I'm sure people think I have zero hair but I know that I'm trying to do protective styles to reach my goal, it used to bother me @ first b/c I prefer my hair to wearing phonys but it's helped me alot and now I don't care what people think. So when I do reach my goal then I'll wear my hair out more. Besides I know I have LCHF ladies backing me up.

Last edited:
Back