Pectin in Henna?

mw138

I read on hennaforhair.com that if you put pectin in your henna mix, it is much easier to apply. I think the pectin make the henna more of a gel-like consistency.

Has anyone ever tried this? If so, did you purchase the pectin on the website or did you buy some at the store?

A few of us have given this a try (I know Sareca did and posted her recipe in THE henna thread!). :D

You can buy pectin from the grocery store, even Walmart. It's very inexpensive too! :up:

Last edited:
I didn't use pectin for my first henna application a month ago, but I may try it this weekend. Thanks for the tips!

I used the pectin and the henna was easy to apply. I haven't tried it without the pectin so I really wouldn't know the difference without it. I only used maybe a spoonful and I just added water and a bit of conditioner until it was a thick yogurt/relaxer type consistency. It did the job.

baglady215 said:
Ladies, in what section in Walmart would I find pectin? TIA!

The grocery section. Pectin is a thickening agent used, it is most commonly used in jelly and jam making. HTH

I'm still trying to understand why one would need to add pectin to make the henna mixture smoother or gel like. I mean, if you add enough water to get the yogurt consistency, shouldn't that be ok? I guess if you add too much water, couldn't you just add more henna to thicken it?

JLove74 said:
I'm still trying to understand why one would need to add pectin to make the henna mixture smoother or gel like. I mean, if you add enough water to get the yogurt consistency, shouldn't that be ok? I guess if you add too much water, couldn't you just add more henna to thicken it?

It might help if you compare yogurt and apricot jelly. You could say that it would be easier to apply apricot jelly to your hair than yogurt. Pectin would make your hair like apricot jelly. :grin: HTH

I actually use ACV & let the henna sit for 12 hrs, then add 1 tbsp avocado oil, followed up w/tropical avocado deep conditioning after I rinse out the henna and, no, I do not experience any drying at all.....

I am very interested in finding out what pectin does, tho.

Doll said:
Is ACV drying to the hair? If so, would it hurt to add a little EVOO?

Thanks ladies. I found some at Acme. It was with the jars and other supplies used to make jams and jellies.

Question though... I've already mixed my henna with water and it's sitting now. Is it too late to add pectin? I believe I have to boil it first with water for it to gel?

Back