Pantene Deep Conditioning Mask - thumbs up

pmichael52172

It's been a looooong time since I've been in this section of the board, but I lurk often.

I read this article on niaonline.com and decided to pick up a product that seems to be a favorite. I was looking for a new conditioner to try anyway. My hair is not in bad shape but it sheds a lot which to me is darn near like breakage. Anyway, I picked up and tried the Pantene Pro-V Relaxed & Natural Breakage Defense Deep Conditioning Mask, and it's the day after and I really like the way it worked with my hair. It feels softer even with the new growth that I'm not ready to touch up. I'm not noticing any shedding but that's probably because I went through it really well when I washed it the night before. The conditioner isn't a miracle product per se but I would highly recommend someone to give it a try.

When I run out of shampoo, I'm going to purchase the shampoo that goes with this conditioner. The link for the article is not working right so I just cut and pasted the article and here's the link to the actual product - http://www.pantene.com/en_US/relaxe...n/breakage_defense_deep_conditioning_mask.jsp

Sorry it's so long but it mentions other products:
---------------------

Break These Bad Hair Habits in '07!

Pictured (from left): Anu Prestonia, Khamit Kinks; Sheryl Huggins, NiaOnline; Taëisha Black, Khamit Kinks.
After six years of wearing natural two-strand twists, I am beginning to grow weary of my signature hairdo. I generally do it myself, a tedious three-hour ritual that's repeated every 7 to 10 days (not to mention all of the spot retwistings and takedowns done in between).

I know it would be much easier to put my hair in the capable hands of a professional, but somehow I have been reluctant to do so since going natural in 1999. The process of shearing off my relaxed tresses and uncovering my God-given kinks lit the spark of a hair love affair. I suppose I have been a jealous lover, because I rarely let anyone else style my hair. Yet now I am restless for change.

That restlessness and the approaching New Year were on my mind when a publicist representing Pantene Pro-V called to invite me to a private hairstyling session in New York City with the company's guest stylists. So on a recent cold evening, I surrendered myself to the talents of Anu Prestonia, who is president of Khamit Kinks hair salon in Brooklyn, New York, and Taëisha Black, who is the manager there.

"Please, just give me something different that's still natural and easy to maintain," I asked them. Black told me that she has heard a lot of that lately from customers who are tiring of their two-strand twists. The two women gave me a trim and a flexi-rod set, using the Pantene Pro-V Hydrating Curls line of products (my new hairstyle is shown in the photograph above).

The results--a riot of spiraling, soft, and shiny curls--are a welcome change of pace. Nevertheless, I don't plan to retire my twisting ritual entirely. I guess it's a habit I'm not yet ready to break.

While I sat in the chair, I asked Prestonia for her advice on which hair-grooming habits Black women should break in 2007. Click below for the worst offenders.

• Letting too much time go in between shampoos. "People are not shampooing enough," because they want to preserve their hairstyles as long as possible between washings--particularly costly extensions, weaves, and twists, observes Prestonia. Once a month is not often enough! Experts say that Black hair should be washed every 7 to 10 days.
"With certain styles, you don't have to take your hair out to shampoo it," Prestonia says. If your do can't stand up to suds, you might opt for a dry shampoo. Organic Root Stimulator Herbal Cleanse with aloe vera is effective, although it can also be drying to your hair, so be sure to restore moisture with a leave-in conditioner or hairdressing.

• Neglecting to maintain the hair that's underneath a weave or braid extensions. "If you don't care for your own hair, there won't be anything to add the extension to" eventually, warns Prestonia. "Put something back into your hair to nourish it, like a hair mask or hot oil treatment."

Pantene Pro-V Relaxed & Natural Breakage Defense Deep Conditioning Mask, a time-tested favorite of the editorial staff in NiaOnline's New York office, leaves both processed and natural hair with an abundance of silkiness. You could also pamper yourself with a 15-minute treatment under a dryer or hot towel using Organic Root Stimulator Hair Mayonnaise, which bathes damaged hair in whole-egg proteins and olive oil.

• Applying heat to dirty hair. It's tempting to touch up your hairstyle with a curling iron or blow-dryer between washings, but the longer it has been since your last shampoo, the more damaging heat styling is. "For one thing, your hair will smell terrible because you're cooking the dirt and product buildup into your hair," explains Prestonia. "That can clog the hair shaft and make it unhealthy." You're better off pulling your hair into a stylish updo to hold you over until the next wash and condition.

To restore a sleek finish to short hair, smooth on a little styling product, such as The Jane Carter Solution Nourish & Shine hair butter or Pantene Pro-V Curl Defining Scrunching Gel with extra-strong hold.

You know I love your reviews. I'm sure I'll end up trying this out one of these days. Thanks for giving me a reason. ;)

I know Allandra,

I get suckered into all kinds of products when they are reviewed.

My hair is really soft. I know it's from the conditioner, and the conditioner is a rinse out at that! I didn't even sit under the dryer with it. Just put on a plastic cap and did things around the house for about 2 hours or so. I'm definately going to get the shampoo when I run out of what I'm using now.

Back