paging the bun wearers!

levette

Okay, now I need some advice about wearing a bun without breakage. Here is what I typically do:

I will wash and airdry my hair. Next, I slick my hair back with elast qp gel and sometimes s-curl. Because my hair is not that long or thick , I use a foam donut bun with a black satin scarf wrapped around it. I pull my hair through and tuck it under using the coated bobby pins. Every 2 or so days I take down the bun and redo it again. About 5-6 days later, my ends look so dry and tangled up that I end up washing my hair. Alot of my hair seems to shed afterwards from wearing it up in this style.

If you have any better suggestions please reply as I feel like my hair has not shown much progress with this method. I am considering trying Caroly Gray's method of no heat but wearing my hair out alot using the Caruso rollers hairsetter as a maintenance tool. I welcome any advice as I really want long and healthy hair. :crying3:

Hi Levette

i'm one of those people who experience major breakage when wearing my hair in ponytails or buns. I don't have any suggestions to make then work. I went to the salon this weekend for a wash, press and trim and she had to trim about 4 inches. My hair was damaged form wearing ponytails everyday. My problem is that my strands are too thin to withstand the stress of everday ponytail. Consequently I have decided to wear my hair in a ponytail style 1week out of 4 as a part of my new regimen. That way if I am wearing a pony or a bun--at least I won't be manipulating the stressed parts. Another out of the 4 weeks I will be wearing my hair pressed and down and the other two will be spent in cornrows or twists.

I bun my hair daily and utilize the baggie method. I 'hide' the baggie under a bun cover. I credit this to retaining length. I make the bun covers out of oversized scrunchis/or small scarves from the beauty supply store.

Covered Bun

You're not trying to comb your hair after it dries are you? Combing air dried hair is a big no no. If you have to comb after it dries wet your hair again with a watery leave in or plain ole water. Once I make a bun I don't really have to comb it again till waash day. This will prevent breakage.

I never have breakage when wearing a bun. I think its because it go very heavy on the creamy moisturizer on the length of my ponytail before I put it up. I use pure shea butter, Healthy Ends or ORS Carrot oil. I usually make my bun while wet and let it air dry in a bun. If I use a ponytail holder I make sure its soaked in olive oil and I never, I mean NEVER pull it out by dragging the length of my ponytail.

HTH

I usually make my bun while wet and let it air dry in a bun. If I use a ponytail holder I make sure its soaked in olive oil and I never, I mean NEVER pull it out by dragging the length of my ponytail.

HTH[/QUOTE]

I found that doing my ponytail on wet hair has made a HUGE diff. too.
Also, I never thought about making sure the holder is not dry..hmmmm I think I will try that! ;)

Okay....here is what I have noticed and what works for me. Like you, if I were to create a bun the way you described, my hair would be a ridiculous mess. I create my bun this way: following a wash (or conditioner wash-depending on the day), I put EVOO while wet and then a little QP mango butter on the ends, smooth back, then braid hair (no pony tail holders at all-they would leave me bald!), then roll braid under (or you can tuck depending on length) and then pin on each side with bobby pins. VOILA! Never comes down dry, and applying the oil and moisturizer even allows me to comb through it after it dries-very manageable. I have a picture of it in my album. Hope this helps!

Another suggestion is to not use bobby pins AT ALL... when I stopped using bobby pins I noticed a DRAMATIC difference in my ends! I don't care how coated or "safe" a bobby pin seems to be, it is still detrimental to hair because simply, bobby pins are thin and metal - just like a knife... Before I bun I moisturize entire length with leave-in and seal with shea butter... Then I use pantyhose bands soaked in oil to secure my ends in a bun. And I make sure the ends are straight and detangled when they are tucked, so that when I take them down they aren't frizzy or mangled. But any kind of heavy oil (even "grease" or vaseline will work) on them will keep them straight, just make sure you smooth the ends between your fingers really well.

Glad someone started this thread. I am in the Christmas stretch club and this is week 12 for me. My relax date is Dec. 17th. When doing buns after a co-wash, I have to brush my hair because of all the thick newgrowth to blend the two textures and pull the bun smooth. I think it's breaking off my hair to do this. Are other co-washing stretchers who wear buns doing this also? :confused:

I co-wash my hair and put it into a bun and I'm stretching as well. I don't have any breakage after brushing my hair into a bun while my hair is wet. But it may have to do with the fact that I just did an aphogee treatment on my hair on Sunday.

tthreat08 said:
Okay....here is what I have noticed and what works for me. Like you, if I were to create a bun the way you described, my hair would be a ridiculous mess. I create my bun this way: following a wash (or conditioner wash-depending on the day), I put EVOO while wet and then a little QP mango butter on the ends, smooth back, then braid hair (no pony tail holders at all-they would leave me bald!), then roll braid under (or you can tuck depending on length) and then pin on each side with bobby pins. VOILA! Never comes down dry, and applying the oil and moisturizer even allows me to comb through it after it dries-very manageable. I have a picture of it in my album. Hope this helps!

You know, I never thought about braiding my hair and using it as a tucked under bun- minus the baggie- I will try this method this weekend and will report back on my results.

Back