PAGING THE BRAIDY BUNCH

TBC72

Hello! Just wondering how was the braid process going with everyone. I just took my braids out and let me tell you, it was awful!! /images/graemlins/frown.gif I had so many knots. I think my hair did more breaking than growing. I've never experience this before. I know I braided it right(loop the hair twice around) Sprayed daily with braid spray as well as curl activator and I washed my hair once a week. I'm going to give it another try but with different products. Hopefully I 'll have postive results. Hope all is well!!!

Sorry things didn't turn out as anticipated. Did you experience a lot of growth at least?

Tonia, I am so sorry to hear that, did you use a cheap conditioner to help you remove the braids, that usully helps alot w. knots and break up the clots at the base. What brand of activator did you use I think Adrienne recommemded the SCurl or world of Curls, but don't quote me on that. I am really sorry to hear about you losing hair /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Tonia, I'm sorry to hear that taking down the braids was a nightmare for you. How do you go about it? Do you give yourself a few days to do this? I've braided several times in the past. For me, the problems started after the braids were out because I would do things to screw up the length that I achieved. Give it another shot, and maybe it will work out better this time! I'm thinking of joining you guys early next year and going into braids for a few months.

tonia, it sounds like the bad part came as a result of the takedown process moreso than wearing the braids themselves. is that right? if so, what products did you put on your hair before taking them down?

we gone get this right, girl!! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

adrienne

I comb thru each braid after after I take it out. This takes more time but its worth because I don't have any breakage. If I take all my braids down first and then try to comb thru it is more difficult.

Whatever you do make sure comb thru and get rid rid of any knots before you shampoo. The first time I took braids down on my own I assumed the knots would come out during the shampoo. I ended up a matted mess and had to cut my hair.

What I did was took all my braids out then I tried to comb the knots out. Some of them still wouldn't come out so I figured maybe if I wash them and put some conditoner on them it would just slip out. THAT ONLY MADE MATTERS WORSE!!!! I ending up pulling so much hair out. I couldn't beleive it. A friend of mine told me maybe I braided the hair in wrong. She said to loop the hair around once, then proceed to braid. May be I'll try that. I did buy some better braid unbraid spray this time. I'm determine to try this method and hopefully I will have better luck this time around. Matter of fact, I'm will be braiding tonight since i finally get two days off from work. Wish me luck ladies !! Thanks so much for everyones concern. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Hi,

I agree with Neeki's method. It is a good idea to comb through each braid section to remove shed hairs. As I comb out the sections, I also rub in a drop or two of jojoba oil on each braid section. The jojoba helps break up the sebum that collects around the top of the braid.

Also try oiling your scalp every other day while in braids (use a light oil like kemi oyl or the new WGO). This has helped a lot with buildup at the root (tip from Adrienne). I hardly have buildup at the roots now and I go for about 3 months.

Tonia, I agree with the others. You probably did nothing wrong during the braiding process. It's much better to comb out each individual piece of braided hair when the braid is removed instead of taking out all the braids and THEN combing thru it. That's definitely what caused the matting in your hair. Like the others said, this takes way more time to do. But by the time you're ready to wash and deep condition, all of the knots and build up are gone, so matting won't be an issue. Try this method, and you should be good to go! And you can keep the length that you achieved.

Thanks so much for everyones advice. You ladies have been so helpful.(gives all a big cyberhug) Now all I need is for Faith to tell me where she got that hair so I can start braiding my hair. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Oh no Tonia, sorry to hear that. When are you going to rebraid? How long were your braids in anyway?

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Also try oiling your scalp every other day while in braids (use a light oil like kemi oyl or the new WGO). This has helped a lot with buildup at the root (tip from Adrienne). I hardly have buildup at the roots now and I go for about 3 months.

[/ QUOTE ]

Faith I'm not trying to knock what worked for you, but for some people oiling the scalp whilst in braids may not be a good idea for them. I Used the WGO and it did more harm than good whilst I was braided. I got knots all over at the base of the braids. I was heartbroken. I'm wearing braids now without the extensions as I'm too afraid of the consequences again if I use extension hair. See...another case of one thing working for one and not another.

Honeyrockette, I had my braids in for two months. They were getting on my nerve because the ends were terrible. I'm really starting to think I bought bad hair because I've never had this problem before. I bought the hair @ sallys which I won't do that again. (thanks robin and adrienne) I was going to braid my hair this weekend but I'm obsessed on finding where faith bought her hair so I can use that brand. Did you see her July pictures? I love the color and texture. That's exactly what I've been looking for. I did buy some better unbraid spray. Hopefully things will go great next time around. /images/graemlins/wink.gif
OT, london diva and honeyrockette, your cofessions had me cracking up yesterday. I will be reading that thread whever I'm feeling low!!!

Tonia, have you read Lonnice Bonner's second book about braids, twists and dreads? It has a lot of good braid info in it. I bought and read that book this weekend. It is a fairly good read.

Hey tonia,

I replied on the other post. But I'll reply here as well. The October hair is called Afrelle. The July hair was by Golden Queen (I bought that here in Canada so I can't tell you where to look in the states...sorry /images/graemlins/frown.gif ).

Londondiva: hey no problem. I know you're not trying to knock me. The more information a person has on a product the better (to make a more informed decision). The kemi oyl was my other recommendation and that works very well and smells nice. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Faith how do you do no poo with braids? Doesn't the conditioner get caky? Doesn't your scalp itch? I am trying to get some tips to prevent my braids from slipping out but without the annoying and uncomfortable itch.

Hey honeyrockette,

I use half a cup of conditioner (it's not thick, it's a little watery) and 2 tbsp of lemon juice.
Nope, my scalp doesn't itch or flake (the only flakes I get is when my scalp is dry). It seems to work for me so far. And hair at the roots doesn't feel so dry. I'm hoping as I continue this new method my hair will become softer. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Back