paging pebbles

NAY007

hey pebbles,

in the thread "going from no-lye to lye" you wrote a post that when you made the change from no lye to lye, you should not go back to no lye. is that bad for your hair if you go back to no lye after lye? please let me know, cause maybe you have read it in one of my previous posts but i didn't really like the motions. maybe i'll give the affirm a try next time.
thanks girl /images/graemlins/smirk.gif.

Hi Nay007,

According to several sources, including Shamboosie, Once you make the transition from no-lye to lye, you should stay with the lye. The no-lye relaxers contain guanidine hydroxide, a combination of calcium hydroxide and guanidine carbonate. The lye relaxer is a sodium hydroxide and it is believed that the two should not mix. This can lead to breakage. According to the FDA, though no-lye is less irritating to the scalp, it dries the hair out much more than the lye relaxer. That's it for the technical talk. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Now, my personal opinion is that you can go back to a no-lye relaxer and be fine. I know people who have done it and had no problems. However, knowing what I know about the 2 types of relaxers, I think that if you have switched to a lye relaxer, you are on the right track. Definately give the Affirm a try if you can. It's reported to be one of the best relaxers for AA hair. Hope that helped. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Hey Julia, /images/graemlins/grin.gif

You want to talk about a treat? I just read your list of pet peeves! /images/graemlins/rofl.gif /images/graemlins/rofl.gif /images/graemlins/rofl.gif /images/graemlins/rofl.gif /images/graemlins/rofl.gif!! Girl, you are too much!! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Pebbles, you are such a treat!

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't she though? I'm so glad to have her here with her expansive knowledge and equal treatment to all.

Back