Paging BrownRelaxedHair

hunnybunny81

I hate to bother u, but i was wondering if u could tell me how long it took you to grow your hair to where it was in your pic from August 2002? You have some really beautiful hair...If I had that length, I'd stop there and couldn't nobody tell me nothing!! From the looks of my own,,,I have about 6 inches until I reach your August 02 length..I was just curious as to the condition of your hair before, what you do now, and how long it took you to get where you are currently...thank u soooo much in advance!!!

Hi Hunnybunny,

Thanks very much for the compliment! From the millenium New Year 2000 my hair was approx 6/7 inches long, I could just tuck it behind my ears and the nape was actually about 1 inch. It was short. So it took 2.5 years from then to get to the August pic. The condition of my hair before August was okay although the best thing I did was at some point between 2000 and 2002 I changed how I dried my hair. That was THE single best thing I did as before I was getting frizzy ends. Before I blowdried with the comb attachment and then used the curling irons. I decided to switch to rollar setting after hearing that it's healthier.

My routine is pretty much the same as alot of girls here. I rollar set every 4 days. I usually do pre oil treatment using virgin olive oil (now started mixing the oil with shea butter) I leave that on for an hour if I can. My favourite shampoo is Lanza Protein Plus shampoo. I deep condition with every wash, sitting under a hooded dryer for 25 mins. Fave conditioners include Mizani Moisturefuse, Motions Moisture Plus & Porosity Control. I like conditioners with silicones. After rinsing I usually put some Kiehls Silk Groom in or (just recently) Motions Nourish In (which gives nice 'slip!') then rollar set for 1 hour and wrap. Approx once a month I use a clarifying shampoo to remove product build up and 'start again.' Oh and do a protein once a month too. In between washes I put a little virgin olive oil on hair ends.

That's it! My current length is as per the latest pic taken.

Supplement wise I take daily: MSM powder mixed in OJ, flaxseed oil (one teaspoon), Biotin x 3000 mcg, GNC UltraNourishair, B5, Iron.

Hope I've helped and lmk if you've any more q's /images/graemlins/wink.gif

thanks u soooooooo much!!! I really appreciate you taking the time out to help...I do have another question...your pre oil treatment...do u do that before u wash???

oh, and I am guilty of the blowdrying with attachment thing and curling iron use also,,,,do u feel that if I switch to roller setting or air drying it will make a huge difference? Isn't any heat bad, or does sitting under a dryer do better for your hair then a blow dryer...I'm a little confused because they both use heat don't they?...I don't know, I'm still "clueless" about this whole process..but am so eager to learn!!! Thanks again !

oh and one more thing....do u strongly suggest that I take vitamins???

The pre oil treatment is done on dry hair before washing/conditioning. I heat it in the microwave to warm up for a few secs and then put it on the ends, normally the driest part of the hair, and pin it up to let it soak in. Then after the hour or so I wash and condition as normal. I've also done the pre oil treamtment for 30 mins if I don't have much time. Pre oil treatments is something I only started doing this year and it really helps keep the ends moisturized.

Rollar setting is believed to be a safer way of drying because the heat is evenly distributed all over the head. You immediately eliminate that direct contact of hairdryer plus irons. It is all heat and the ultimate best way is to airdry but I don't have time for that. Rollar setting has stopped the frizzy ends and it still lets you wear your hair straight. Just wrap it after for a few hours! (I do it in the evenings so I sleep on the wrap.

Rollar setting for me took time to really work out as its fiddly but eventually you do get the hang of it. Amillion on this board posted an EXCELLENT step by step guide on how to do it. Have a look. /images/graemlins/wink.gif If you find using pins too hard to secure the rollar then use the covers that come with magnetic rollars (smooth rollars with holes in). Or try and have a wash and set at a Dominican salon where you'll see how its being done very well.

LMK how you get on? /images/graemlins/smile.gif

oh and the supplement thing I started doing as a direct result of reading this board and noticing that it helps with hair growth. I do feel I've seen a difference.

Read "THe Bargello Plan". Its posted on this board too, just scroll down, its written as a main title. Alot of my inspiration was taken from that plus what others have taken.

For me, the key 'growing' supps are MSM and biotin. You'll notice in the autosignature of others that its taken in various dosages. Its up to you how much you want to take. I take MSM as a powder because I find it much easier than popping yet another pill /images/graemlins/crazy.gif plus mixed in OJ its easy to swallow (excuse the slight joke there /images/graemlins/grin.gif ).

So yes, taking supps plus and EFA (essential fatty acid) to moisturize from inside out all contributes towards healthy growing.

Back