Outgrown Your TWA? Well come on in...(4-6 inches of hair)

Evallusion

LiloLombardi
I've recently outgrown the TWA phase and I now have about 4 inches of hair all around (I suck at measuring). I'm at an awkward phase where I don't exactly know what to do with my hair in regards to styles. Its at this point where I always perm or cut my hair but I am determined to get through this phase this time.

So, I'm just curious as to who else is in the same boat as me. Are their any of you out there with 4-6 inches of hair? Please tell me I'm not the only one who is going through the awkward length phase. I don't know if this would necessarily be a challenge as opposed to a support group. But if you can relate, please post up.

What's your hair type?
4 B

How long is your hair?
4 (+/-) inches all around

What styles do you wear? Pics would be awesome!!
As of now, just twists with a headband or beanie.

Products?
Qhemet's Heavy Cream

What are your ultimate hair goals?
I'm focused on SL for my short term goal. Long term will be APL.

Feel free to share any information that you feel will help or any questions that you may have. This could be our little hang out spot.

Last edited:
You are definitely not the only one.

I believe I am a 4a/4b
I have 4.5-5 inches
I mainly do twist outs and cornrows
I use elasta qp creamy shampoo
HHHE
Con argan oil dc consistently.
My ultimate goal it bsl.

I've only been natural for 5 months. I thought I had a little more time to enjoy this phase. To make things worse I have 50-70% percent shrinkage so it still looks like a twa.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Long Hair Care Forum App

I wore finger curls religiously, for about a year, from my 4-8" in between stage period. I loved it, it was a no brainer. After I co-washed, put in the fingercurls and wore them for a full week until my next wash.

What's your hair type?
4b

How long is your hair?
6-7inches

mostly twistouts and shingled hair
Im trying to cut down salon visits so I only get cornrowed tryles like mohawks and updoos 1 time per month now

Products?
now

tresseme moisture rich/vo5 moisture milks - condish
black soap/dr bronners/suave humectant - poo
jane carter/giovanni/S-Curl - leave ins
stylers- ecostyler

I just ordered a buch of stuff from Oyin, Qhemet and Darcys Botanicals - I wanna find a line to stick to

so Im hoping my products will change in the near future

BSL , maybe WL stretched

Added

issues Ive overcome

Single Strand Knots - by using kimmaytubes leave in - specifically the use of aloe vera juice- and sealing ends with a creamy leave in then a heavy oil like castor oil.

things Im working on

moisturizing leave in - to use after washing and to refresh twists for twistouts

aloe vera juice, Silk Amino Acids will add rose water once I find it

aloe vera juice, Silk Amino Acids will add rose water once I find it
@the bolded - Let me know when you find it at a decent price. ayurnaturalbeauty.com is OOS and has been forever. And other places I looked wanted too much money + shipping. And before anyone posts I can find it at an Indian store, I live in a small town and we have no Indian stores. I think the closest store is over 2 hrs away......Blah!

What's your hair type: not sure
How long is your hair: 4-4 1/2 inches (9 months post relaxer, 4 months post BC)
What styles do you wear: I'm currently in braids, it's been 3 months since I've seen my hair all out at once and I've got one more month left sad face
Products: CON moisturizing conditioner, CO, Shea Butter natural oil, Shea Butter and water ta-da lol. oh and Bee-Mine growth serum (idk if ill re-up when it's done, nothing against it but i don't see any amazing growth)
What are your ultimate hair goals: :afro::afropick: letsgoooobroooo. hehe

What's your hair type?
How long is your hair?
Products?
Etc?

Feel free to share any information that you feel will help or any questions that you may have. This could be our little hang out spot.

Great thread!!
I think i'm def at this stage.
I'm a 4a/b.
My hair is just touching shoulder length when straightened. so it's prob at around 6 inches.
I wear weaves sometimes. when my hair is out, i wear twists, twistouts, braid n' curls, straightened hair, blowouts, updos. errythang.:drunk:
i may come back with pics.
i use: Silk Elements shampoo, condish, and DC. fantasia IC heat protectant, proclaim foam wrap, castor oil, coconut oil, coconut oil grease, and now elasta mango butter.
My hair goal right now is to get back to APL without cutting my hair off into an Amber Rose fade. :look:

What's your hair type?
I am not sure..

How long is your hair?
shoulder length when its blown out

Failed Twist outs.. mainly braid outs but looking for some more ideas!

Products?
Eco styler, olive oil, vatika coconut oil, knot today, aveeno leave in, yes to carrots, yes to cucumbers.. miss jessie's curly pudding

Growing this beast as long as possible!! :)

Etc?
Thank god my hair grows quickly.. every day i just hope for more length. Eat well.. take my vitamins.. and pray for more length!!

What's your hair type?
Mostly 4a

How long is your hair?
About 4-5" all over, I haven't measured this month! :lol:

I haven't experimented as much with my hair as I should, so mostly I've been doing WNGs and a puff, using bantu knots for a bit of definition. It always looks frizzy, but I like the fullness! :grin:

Products?
Nothing special really. For the moment I'm using Treseme conditioners to co-wash, and ORS replenishing mixed with Aphogee 2 min reconstructor, walnut and olive oils for DC's :lick:

I moisturize with CFCG and seal with a mixture of Crisco vegetable shortening and walnut oil.

ETA: I also use Eco Styler gel to smooth my edges.

To have longer hair that is healthy and strong! As far as length, I'm shooting for APL, maybe longer if I'm able to achieve it! :yep:

Etc?
Don't really have anything else to add. My attempts at twists and twist-outs have not fared well thus far. Maybe someone has some tips?

My pics are in my siggy.

Last edited:
I'm in the same boat as you and I've started wearing braids this fall. My hair type is 4a. My products I use are in my siggy. Ultimately, I plan to grow healthier MBL hair. That's my goal!

OMG this is so me! I've become kind of sick of my hair lately :cry2:. It's no longer fun and cute it's awkward and unbecoming. I BCd 9-12-10 after a 4 month transition to 2-3 inches.

What's your hair type?
I think I'm a 3c 4a mix. I really don't like the typing thing. I have some really huge curls and some almost nonexistent ones. My nickname was curly as a baby.

How long is your hair?
I'm 6 inches in the middle, 5 in the back, and 3.5-4 in the front :perplexed

I've been doing a lot of twistouts lately and less WnGs. Since the front of my hair is growing so darn slow I can't do a mini puff quite yet. Right now my hair's been in braids for the past week and I'm hoping I get a decent braidout tomorrow.

Products?
I'm trying to keep it simple and stop sending money experimenting. What works right now:
Co-wash with Suave Humectress or HE HH
Moisturize with that kids organics Shea butter detangling lotion
Seal with EVOO or EVCO. Sometimes apply Castor oil
Wash with Burt's bees pomegranate and soy shampoo once a month

I want BSB hair straightened. That's not a huge goal but if I can handle it I may aspire to greater things :lol:

Here's a couple of random style pics from the past month. The first is a WnG without product the one with the bow is with gel and my two acceptable (IMO) twistouts

Attachments

• 174.jpg
    174.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 46
  • 1107100831b.jpg
    1107100831b.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 54
  • 1111100710.jpg
    1111100710.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 47
  • 178.jpg
    178.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 48
  • 2nd Twistout Nov. 6, 2010.jpg
    2nd Twistout Nov. 6, 2010.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 54
Wow ladies. For now I've just been wearing twists with a headband or beanie. I am dying for finger coils/comb coils but I can't do them to save my life. In fact, my mini goal is to be able to do coils. Off to watch you tube tutorials...

Thanks for your responses. Keep em' coming.

hey girl
thats quite a bit of growth!! keep up the good work!

Thanks!! :)

I wish I had enough hair to get into a twist. :lol: Lovely hair, ladies! I'll be joining you soon! :grin:

Trust you will be doing all types of styles before you know it. The twa phase is definitely not one that us long lived.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Long Hair Care Forum App

@~~Honeycomb~~ What are finger curls?? Is there a tutorial around somewhere?

Here's a how to video of exactly how I do mine, except I don't use clips:

YouTube - Finger Curls!

Here's a pic of my curls with 4" of hair:

2vbqv02.jpg

Here's my hair with about 10+ inches of hair:
281zqxi.jpg

When my hair was about 3 inches long, I wore it in a puff like you have it in your siggy:
Day3Puffforhubbyspleasure-vi.jpg

...then I wore cornrows in front and puff in the back:
AnotherPuffDoMarch2007-vi.jpg

Every night, I'd plait the puff and baggy my whole head. Then in the AM just comb out the puff.

There was also a time in the past where I wore twists all round and washed them and towel-dried and then while damp, I put in rollers and let them set to create my tarantulas do that hubby "loved" so much. :lol: I am very proud of the do, thank you very much!
AViewFromFarCurledTwists-vi.jpg

CurledTwistsNoFace-vi.jpg

Then when I got tired of styling my hair daily, I put it in extension braids.

What's your hair type?
3c/4a

How long is your hair?
about 6 inches.

WnG puff
Photo3402-vi.jpg

or a weave.

Products?
aussie moist/tresemme naturals
castor oil
vatika oil
aloe vera juice/gel in a spraybottle with EOs and jojoba with water/rosewater
ayurvedic powders
aussie moist 3 min miracle/aubrey organics gpb/ORS replenishing
giovanni 50:50 shampoo

ST: SL
LT: WL stretched (but i'll take BSB/BSL or MBL too)

this thread is right on time cause this is where my dd is and I have no clue what to do with her hair and Im getting tired of seeing her with extention braids so imma let her rest for a while her hair is like 5 in now

What's your hair type?
3c/4a

How long is your hair?
about 6 inches.

WnG puff
Photo3402-vi.jpg

or a weave.

Products?
aussie moist/tresemme naturals
castor oil
vatika oil
aloe vera juice/gel in a spraybottle with EOs and jojoba with water/rosewater
ayurvedic powders
aussie moist 3 min miracle/aubrey organics gpb/ORS replenishing
giovanni 50:50 shampoo

ST: SL
LT: WL stretched (but i'll take BSB/BSL or MBL too)

So off topic, but your curls are gorgeous! *drools* lol :)

What's your hair type?
not sure..i think a mixture of 3c/4a

How long is your hair?
4 inches

I mainly do WnGs...sometimes pin the sides...head band occasionally.

Products?
My staples thus far:
Co-Wash-Aussie Moist
Leave In-Trader Joe's Nourish Spa, V05 MoistureMilks, Giovanni Direct Leave In
Stylers: Aloe Vera Gel
Moisturizer: SheaMoisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie and leave in condish
Oils-Coconut Oil--looove!
Other: Henna every two weeks
I'm focused on SL for my short term goal. Long term will be APL

I'm a 3c/4a and have about 5 inches of hair now and I don't know what to do. Shrinkage is my only savior right now. My hair is growing fast and I don't do much to it but finger fluff the fro and put on a head band.

What's your hair type?
3c/4a

How long is your hair?
3 inches in the front....and the rest is 4-5 inches....the part that is 3 inches would be where my bangs would be.

As of now, just twists with a headband or beanie.

Products?
I'm just usng up what I got now. I have products that I bought when I first started this bard. I told my self I will not buy any more products till I use up what I got. I have: doo gro oil, olive oil, infusium 23 moisturizer and more I can't think of. I'm also using up my beemine sulfer. I have less then a half a bottle left.

Right now I am trying to hit shoulder length by my one year natural date which is in June. And after that MBL.

Right now I am trying to do kinky twists with extensions on my own. I refuse to go to a hair dresser. But right now I am just doing the wash n go thing and put extra moisturizer in my hair due to winter.

^^Your hair has grown so much since June, lovelylocks! How're the kinky twists going? I watched about 100 YT tutorials and still couldn't do it so I had to cave and am paying someone to braid my hair tomorrow :( If you have any tips please share!

Back