ORS Olive oil LYE?

BrooklynSouth

Today, I saw in the newest BSS a large tub of ORS lye relaxer in a green tub! I did not know ORS made a LYE relaxer. The print on the containers was kind of worn off so I'm thinking this may have been some bootleg crap. I am going now to the ORS web site to inquire about this.

I saw this in my neighborhood beauty supply too. The bottles were all brand new, they had the lye relaxer in the lime green tub (regular & super) and they had 24 oz bottles of the neutralizing shampoo and the ORS relenishing Conditioner! Seeing the conditioner is what blew my mind because I think we're all sick of buying those little packets. But these did not look bootleg to me. Like I said everything was brand new and the conditioner and neutralizing poo were $12.99 each. If I had enough money on me I would have bought the replenishing conditioner on the spot but I will be going back to get it. I'm not excited about the lye relaxer because I prefer their no lye but it's good news if they are going to start to carry the ORS lye relaxer in salons. I self relax because no salons carry it and I love it so that would be nice. I believe it's something that's very new and just coming out because this beauty supply store carries all the latest hair care products and has a lot of hair pieces too, it's my favorite next to Sally's, I forgot the name of it but it's in Roselle, New Jersey on St. George Ave.

Blessed, I still have no reply from the company. The products you saw looked legit but the ones I saw just had worn away wording on them so I questioned :ohwell: the authenticity. I'll try the SILK ELEMENTS first then will decide between the ORS lye and the VITALE if the SE is not great. The results from the ORS no-lye seem to satisfy most users but I'm staying with the lye, my hair if not my scalp likes it better than no-lye.

ORS really needs to update their website too. It's the same info that I've seen since they developed the olive oil line and their tea tree oil and soy oil hairdressings. If they have a new line they need to publicize a little better:).

Blessed, I really do not think they even revisit their web site. I know I had difficulty sending the e-mail I did send to them. I have had no response still! Today, I was searching for some Surge Woojee cream at a BSS, no luck. I did find the ORS Lye again in decent containers; so I think it may just be the real deal with the ORS Lye. I just refuse to be an experiment for the product as yet. I'll try the Silk Elements, see how it works out then go for the VITALE if the results are not satisfactory.

Its true! they do have a lye relaxer! I saw it in my 99 cent store and I just so happened to stumble upon it. Its in a lime green tub, brand new. I will try this on my next perm because i love the ORS olive oil no lye relaxer. If it works well im sticking to this lye relaxer.

I'm so glad that I tried ORS in the first place. And the conditioner replenish packet is just wonderful.

Last edited:
Dang it, I've been using ORS No-Lye and loved it. Since I've been wanting to switch to a lye relaxer and have heard such good things about SE lye, I bought some from another member here and I'm going to use it on my next touch up. Had no idea ORS made a lye. Well, I guess I'll have to try when I'm done with SE.

More updates plz...
I'm thinking of switching from ORS No-Lye to Phyto II but if the ORS lye is better I may have to go with that (and keep the extra $50 bucks!).

Has anyone else used it? If so, how many weeks post are you and how is your hair now?

I will be using it tonight or tomorrow, whenever my CHI Silk Infusion comes. I am 9 weeks post, but it feels more like 99 weeks post with all this underprocessed hair going on... I plan to use this to touch up NG as well as correct some of the other area. I will update then. :)

i used it for the first time about 2 months and it worked wonders on this jungle. i bought the box and didn't see it offered in a jar. the next time i'll get two boxes because one barely covered all my hair (1-2 inches thick course newgrowth). it's like my hair ate it up when i applied it :lol: it got 95% straight except the small section where i ran out of relaxer :look: still a big improvement upon the 75% i was getting in the past

baglady you may want to get an extra box just in case

Sweetcaramel, I bought the Lye version in the jar. It's 16 oz and is more than enough for 2 applications. I know what you mean about the box one... I ran out as well. :( BTW, congrats on your pregnancy! :)

Well I did my touch up. I'm under the dryer now with the ORS pack. I bought the Super relaxer, and it is definitely SUPER. I even mixed EVOO into the relaxer and I was still burning up at 15 minutes. I had to wash it out, so the front is a little underprocessed. I didn't even get a change to go over some of the other areas. The back did get nice and straight though.

When I rinsed, my hair felt nice and silky, similar to the boxed one. I used their new neutralizing poo to wash, and ORS pack to condition. The real test comes after it's dry, but I think I'll like the results. Next time, I'm going with Regular. My scalp just can't handle Super relaxers anymore. Either that, or it's back to relaxing in sections...

But so far, I give it a thumbs up!

baglady215 said:
Sweetcaramel, I bought the Lye version in the jar. It's 16 oz and is more than enough for 2 applications. I know what you mean about the box one... I ran out as well. :( BTW, congrats on your pregnancy! :)

When I rinsed, my hair felt nice and silky, similar to the boxed one. I used their new neutralizing poo to wash, and ORS pack to condition. The real test comes after it's dry, but I think I'll like the results. Next time, I'm going with Regular. My scalp just can't handle Super relaxers anymore. Either that, or it's back to relaxing in sections...

But so far, I give it a thumbs up!

thanks girl. i'm glad your happy with it (besides the burning). i can't wait to get my next relaxer. trying to hold out another month... :look:

divinefavor said:
Baglady,

How did your hair turn out with the ORS Lye?

My hair is very soft and silky! Baglady is a happy lady today! The front isn't too bad... I'll probably just wait until my next touch up to fix it. But I'm definitely going with Regular next time, or I'll relax with Super in two sections over a few days.

But I say it's a very good relaxer, just like the no-lye. :)

I'm glad that it worked out for you! I have fine hair, so I may need to stick with the no-lye. I haven't experienced any problems with it yet.

divinefavor said:
I'm glad that it worked out for you! I have fine hair, so I may need to stick with the no-lye. I haven't experienced any problems with it yet.

Girl, you know what they say. If it ain't broke... :)

Wow! They really have a lye version! Say word! This is great! I love silk elements but I might have to :look: .... neh forget it.

I'll have to edit my post somewhere where I said they only make no-lye.

But I'll consider doing 'research' on this relaxer for educational purposes only. :cool:

Thanks for bumping this peacelove! Has anyone used this who has a senisitive scalp and usually burns with lye relaxers. I have a very senisitive scalp, which is why I've stuck with no lye for about 6 years. However, I do remember that when my old stylist was using lye back in 2000-2001, that my hair kept a natural sheen and stayed pretty moisturized. I love the ORS no lye, but am curious whether there's a difference between the ORS lye vs. ORS no lye.

I'm interested in trying this one for my next touchup. I've been using the no-lye, and it's good, but if I can get a lye relaxer to straighten, I'll go that route instead. Keep the reviews coming ladies!:)

I don't think it's bootleg. I have been to several BSS in NY and they all have the ORS lye. Yeah, the containers do look low budget and fake, though. I just bought the relaxer and loved it!

Back