Oprah's Hair

mona_cherie

Oprah\'s Hair

Speaking of Oprah's hair (as per ms_kenesha's post in the "Look at this girl's hair" thread), how come Oprah's hair is so thick and bouncy and healthy? Doesn't Andre blow dry and curl her relaxed hair at least 5 days a week? Isn't that what he sates in his book? Just asking.

Re: Oprah\'s Hair

I know he said that he blow-drys, curls everyday, but I thought her hair was natural. She says that all her hair broke off once when she was a reporter and got a perm (she had to sport a TWA) and since then she's been natural.

Oprah's hair is chemically relaxed. Oprah's hair did break off once many, many years ago before she had her own talk show. She was sent to a white salon that put a chemical relaxer in her hair and left it on to long. After that she had the fear of all hair salons until she saw this womans hair on the street and Andre was her stylist and he's been doing Oprah's hair ever since. Andre actually had written Oprah a letter stating that he would love to do her hair before Oprah saw the woman on the street. Oprah said disregarded the the letter. I think she has one of the most beautiful heads of hair natural or relaxed. I loved her afro as well. In his book it discusses how he cares for Oprah's hair. He doesn't relax her hair bone straight and he stresses how keeping the scalp and hair clean and well conditioned is the key.

Thanks for the info. I guess that goes to show what works for some may not work for others and also how important a good hairdresser can be. I think that the fact that he knows what he's doing is what keeps her hair in such good condition. Do you think Oprah can manage her hair by herself or that she's completely reliant on Andre. Like someone said in the weave posts, Oprah should do a show about African-American women's hair and stress hair knowledge and care. You know how many people listen to Oprah!!! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thanks for that info. If only I could get away with heat styling my hair everyday and it still being healthy. Thanks again.

This will sound like I'm a hater, but I've got the strangest inkling that Oprah wears wigs...

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
She's got such lovely hair.

[/ QUOTE ]

She's got Andre...
I watched her show today, she did not have on a wig...she has some thick hair though. I have a cousin with hair like that. Her hair always looks so thick(even when she says it's breaking). I'd love to have hair like that.

Honey Vibe,

You don't sound like a hater. There's always been some dispute about whether she wears a wig or not. My sister was a member of her audience last year and she said she thought it was her hair. She did say that the only thing that gave her pause was when Oprah scratched her hair, all her hair moved, like a wig would move if you scratched it a little too vigorously. It's anyone's guess... /images/graemlins/smile.gif

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
She did say that the only thing that gave her pause was when Oprah scratched her hair, all her hair moved, like a wig would move if you scratched it a little too vigorously.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOLOL /images/graemlins/grin.gif
I got Andre's book from the discount section at B&amp;N and it has been collecting dust on my table. But this thread forced me to flip through it. Oprah fans will love the little anecdotes. The hair care info is very basic--nothing no one who has spent an hour on this site doesn't already know...
He doesn't reccommed any products by name, but he says type 3 hair needs a moisturizing shampoo and type 4 needs a moisturizing protein shampoo with natural ingredients. All hair needs a clarifying shampoo every six weeks.
As far as Oprah is concerned, he says she's 4b and he shampoos her hair every other day. He blows her hair straight with a hot blow dryer and doesn't use a heat protectant because he thinks the only thing that can protect the hair from the intense heat is proper usage of appliances. He curls her hair with a curling iron. He says he only keeps the iron on her hair for a few seconds.
He said she wears sewn in weaves sometimes to give her hair a break.
This section was funny--he said you'd think she spent her whole life growing the hair the way she freaks out with every scissor snip!
I'm gonna have to read this book soon...

Back