One Reason Why PEOPLE (Black Woman Included) Are So Ignorant About AA Hair

Gr8ness83

http://www.city-data.com/forum/hair-care/1832764-how-tell-if-black-womans-hair.html

There are many people of all races who seem to have a difficult time in telling the form of a black woman's hair.

Here are some tips that will help you determine if a black woman's hair is real or fake:

-If she is light-skinned, her hair is more likely to be real. Light-skinned black women tend to be mixed with other races. These mixes sometimes impact hair texture.
-If it's really long, it is likely to be fake. Why would a savvy sista bother with weave if it is short?
-If it is very shiny, it is likely to be fake. Synthetic materials are much more glossy than real hair.

-If you can see her scalp, then it is more likely to be real. Weave is attached on "tracks".
-If all else fails, have a touch. Does it FEEL real? Move your hand up to the scalp and check for tracks.

WHA-WHA-WHAAAAT? I honestly do not know if this is posted by a White Person or a Black person but I CAN say that it was posted by an ignorant person. Honestly, i am not even mad, I'm kind of like SMDH about it.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/hair-care/1832764-how-tell-if-black-womans-hair.html

There are many people of all races who seem to have a difficult time in telling the form of a black woman's hair.

Here are some tips that will help you determine if a black woman's hair is real or fake:

-If she is light-skinned, her hair is more likely to be real. Light-skinned black women tend to be mixed with other races. These mixes sometimes impact hair texture.
-If it's really long, it is likely to be fake. Why would a savvy sista bother with weave if it is short?
-If it is very shiny, it is likely to be fake. Synthetic materials are much more glossy than real hair.

-If you can see her scalp, then it is more likely to be real. Weave is attached on "tracks".
-If all else fails, have a touch. Does it FEEL real? Move your hand up to the scalp and check for tracks.

WHA-WHA-WHAAAAT? I honestly do not know if this is posted by a White Person or a Black person but I CAN say that it was posted by an ignorant person. Honestly, i am not even mad, I'm kind of like SMDH about it.

I don't think other races give our hair a second thought. I've had a few WW ask me if my hair is real, but for the most part I really don't think most people can tell a weave/lacefront from the real deal. I don't think the article was too far off what people consider stereotypical "truths"

Truth is, some of these clips/weaves look so real that sometimes even I can't really tell. Then you have those horrible barbie looking weaves that are atrocious.

I don't think other races give our hair a second thought. I've had a few WW ask me if my hair is real, but for the most part I really don't think most people can tell a weave/lacefront from the real deal. I don't think the article was too far off what people consider stereotypical "truths"

Truth is, some of these clips/weaves look so real that sometimes even I can't really tell. Then you have those horrible barbie looking weaves that are atrocious.

I completely agree with you on this one but I am more astonished at the first two "tips".

The Black women I know IRL who have very long hair are mostly darker skinned. Of course there are some lighter skinned women who have longer hair and they claim not to be, or are unaware that they have any ethnicity other than African American or Black.

It seems pretty accurate to me. I know the light skin mixed thing is a sensitive subject but its real. Bad weaves are usually detected because women are in denial about their color or texture. Have you ever seen a blonde white girl with kinky straight or yaki weave and straight roots? Probably not...:look:

im mad they just made an entire thread to offer that advice as if its some pressing issue that everyone is concerned about :rolleyes:

...:nono: SMDH. And if you read further down the thread, you'll find this was originally posted by a "55 year old Indian (dot) man who appreciates big-bootied Black broads." :nono:

Why did I read this? This artile is just evidence of ignorance.

Sent from my SAMSUNG Galaxy Note 2

I think we should be mindful of what we share. We all know ignorance exists; there is no reason we have to be inundated with it.

Last edited:
It seems pretty accurate to me. I know the light skin mixed thing is a sensitive subject but its real. Bad weaves are usually detected because women are in denial about their color or texture. Have you ever seen a blonde white girl with kinky straight or yaki weave and straight roots? Probably not...:look:

And the dark skinned ones with long hair that I know are mixed with Indian (either South Asian or WI)

Wow, in 2014, the light skin = good hair, dark skin= bad hair is still prevalent?????? SMH. We have such a long way to go.

Last edited:
This was apparently posted by a troll on that forum...not even anyone purporting to be black. Moving on...

You all get worked up over anything. That was a troll. The thread has been closed for almost a year, because they knew it was b.s. to begin with. It's pretty funny.

I don't think that has anything to do with the subject above, but I so agree with you that some women are in denial of their texture. I can't tell you how many times I've seen women rocking the long 45 inch silky Alicia Keys hair with Macy Gray roots and then get mad when people know their hair is a weave. Like no one was going to notice. And some of them are the sames ones that talk down on nappy hair. :rofl:

There's always a full lace front, but some women aren't trying to invest in a nice wig or nicely blended weave to match their texture. They'd rather slap something in and hope it will pass for their real hair.

And the dark skinned ones with long hair that I know are mixed with Indian (either South Asian or WI)

I agree with all this to a certain extent. My maternal G-ma's father was very dark from the west indies with wavy straight hair type 2. G-ma is a splitting image of him same long wavy hair type. Her mother was half Portuguese and half native American/black from Florida.
Anyway my aunt is very dark with type 2 hair that was extremely long. She is 50 now and keeps her hair short. My mom is brown with fine kinky curly hair that grows average 1in a month she always out grows her damage. My brother looks just like G-ma's father but with kinky curly hair its uncanny and my sister favors my g-ma. So I guess the genes are strong.

My dad's biological father appeared Arab or native American from the obituary it is hard to tell he died when my dad was 20 and we do not know him at all. My dad had extremely coarse straight hair/oily scalp and passed it to my sister and me with out the straightness. He passed away in 2012 RIP.
No one in my family considers their selves mixed not even my g-ma (probably because she did not take on the lighter complexion) but it does play a roll in certain attributes like lighter brown eyes etc. It is what it is. Strangers ask my mom if she has Indian in her family all the time she gets very annoyed and offended idky.

However, one of my best friends from high school is dark brown (whatev) with no known mixed heritage but had long relaxed mbl hair. Cut it neck length freshman year. She went to college in the South for 1 year transferred back to Michigan grew it back within 3 years from the cut; she is tall. She just cut it again in December for a change/ more mature look for her profession but she'll most likely grow it back.

I think the whole topic is ridiculous because all hair no matter what race can grow long if we learn how to care for it. Yes some have it easier but that is ok.

I also think it is absurd to teach weave checking. Overall imo I think because the popularity of black hair care/growth in social media is such a phenomenon to others (outside from being black female) that some idiots will try to perpetuate the negativity in spite. That should be expected... but never hindering.

Thing is, before most of us got here we thought the same way. Now we know better it seems we expect everyone else to. Right now.

Just keep spreading the right info- those who want to listen, will and those who don't will not. Can't help everybody.

Back