once and for all...

which pic do you think better represents my texture?

• Picture 1

Votes: 53 55.8%
  • Picture 2

Votes: 42 44.2%

• Total voters
Your hair is gorgeous!!!!!!!! My jaw dropped during your videos!!! Your hair is toooooooooooooo pretty to be defined or grouped!!

But back to your question I think you are mostly 3c (more than 1/2) w/ some 3b and a few 4a parts!!

we 3c/4a ladies feel your pain! I'd say it depends on how long ago you co-washed and what products you decide to use that particular day whether or not your hair is closer to pic one or pic two.

Looking at your pics and videos, you look like a 3c to me... Your hair is gorgeous by the way. You are definitely one of my hair idosl. I can't wait to have your length :grin:

Last edited:
I thought the difference between 3c and 4a was the size of the curl.....Anyway, who cares? Your hair is gorgeous!:love:

Neither:look:.

You know your hair is very unique, I've seen very few heads of hair like yours. Your hair seems to have the texture of 4a hair but the size of the coils sometimes seem to be as loose as 3b or c so it's just hard to say. You just have the type of hair that is hard to classify, fortunately it is very beautiful, that is something all of us can agree on.

That's what I was going to say. I don't really like the hair typing system, because a person could have 4b texture and 3b curls, like my cousin...she has more of a 3a texture, can be smoothed silky straight with a brush, but she has c-napp curl definition....it's always a bush, even when wet. So what category is her hair? :perplexed And my hair can look any where between 4b curl and 3b curl depending on what I put on it when it's wet. It's all so confusing:spinning:

ETA: Malachi I love your hair!
My niece has beautiful curls like yours but her texture is like a 4b...it's very velcro like. Which I guess would be another hair type system anomaly. Anyway, I'm rambling. But yeah, your hair is georgous. :)

Last edited:
Neither:look:.

You know your hair is very unique, I've seen very few heads of hair like yours. Your hair seems to have the texture of 4a hair but the size of the coils sometimes seem to be as loose as 3b or c so it's just hard to say. You just have the type of hair that is hard to classify, fortunately it is very beautiful, that is something all of us can agree on.

:yep::yep: Beautiful hair:drunk:

I picked picture 1 because your hair can look like either pic and a 3c could look like a 4a sometimes but a 4a will not look like a 3c at anytime unless chems or heat is applied.

I disagree. I can get my 4a a curls to look 3c with a braid-out.

ETA: I voted 3c.

Last edited:
we 3c/4a ladies feel your pain! I'd say it depends on how long ago you co-washed and what products you decide to use that particular day whether or not your hair is closer to pic one or pic two.

I agree. It's really all about manipulation. I claim 4a/3c but the 3c is for the back (nape area) that is a completely different texture than the rest of my head which is 4a. But my coils go from 4a to pencil sized 3c when air dried in fat braids. Thus when I have always used the 3c/4a to describe texture not the size of my coils.

this 3c/4a garbage is KILLING me. when i claim 4a people tell me they *think* i'm a 3c... but when i look at other women who claim 3c, i don't think my hair looks or behaves much like theirs. it gets confusing trying to go by descriptions too, since 3c was kinda made up and squeezed in between 3b and 4a. on NaturallyCurly it's described as "pencil-sized" curls/coils and says 4a is "coffee-stirrer" circumference. then you scroll down to read the 4a description and it says 4a ranges from "pen size to penspring coils." WTH??? :perplexed that's too much overlap...

so now that i'm done venting... :lachen:

i figured i'd take a poll. which of these pics resemble my hair more in your opinion? (yes i know they have different lengths, bear with me :drunk: )

3c4a.jpg

I know how it is lady, I recently got into a fotki argument over my hair texture. I typically type my hair as 3a/b through 4b, but I know it may not appear tbles a blowout)
o be that way in all cases. Sometimes my hair can look very loose (wavy type 2& 3) or if stretched type 3 & 4 (although if you look closely it resembles a blowout).

I've pretty much tossed out the whole Andre hair typing system (I truly think it doesn't do our hair any justice :nono:)

* But if I had to choose I'd say pic #2

Last edited:
i think you're a mix of both. honestly you have much prettier hair than either of those ladies so it's hard to say...your hair is BEAUTIFUL!:yep:

It's really hard to say! I think you're a mixture of both. Judging from some of your fotki pics, your curls vary in size.

IMO, you're a type 4 and def. a mixture of both.

The first picture, her hair looks thinner and the dry curls lay more. The second pic has a kinkier hair texture with some tighter curls and some zig zags (more zigs than curls)...also, they probably have styling products in their hair and it's dry. The pics I saw in your fotki were wet and I don't know if you have products in your hair.

You seem to have both textures lady and hair like that, you just can't put in a box!

where are y'all seeing these 3B sections, for real?!?!?!? i have yet to see a coil/curl on my head anywhere near the size of a salt shaker/piece of sidewalk chalk. :nono:

you know what i shoulda done, posted a naked hair picture. not that products make a huge difference in what my texture looks like... but you can tell the 3c from the 4a VERY easily without product. the 3c becomes frizzy whereas the 4a stays coily.

yeah, i think i'll do that... like a smart person woulda done in the first place... :look:

i think you're a mix of both. honestly you have much prettier hair than either of those ladies so it's hard to say...your hair is BEAUTIFUL!:yep:

well thank you! :grin:

Looks like a mixture of both to me. YOu have the curls of the second pic but the softness of the first pic. Girl, everyone's hair is so different. That hair typing chart is just for round abouts. When I claim 4b people say, no I see a curl pattern. But trust me, it's 4b. Don't let the cool pics fool ya'!:grin:

I have to join the bandwagon and agree with most and say its crazy but you are a mixture of both. Your hair is unique and special. My hair looks up to yours... you have both of those textures beat. You Go Hair

IMHO the first is a 3b and the second is a 4a. You are in between, so I would say 3c...

i thought 3b was sidewalk chalk/salt shaker circumference... the curls in the first pic are MUCH smaller than that, hence why i thought they were 3c-ish.

see what i mean, i'm too through with this system. i think i will hunt down Andre Walker himself and make him type my hair, LOL :drunk:

i thought 3b was sidewalk chalk/salt shaker circumference... the curls in the first pic are MUCH smaller than that, hence why i thought they were 3c-ish.

see what i mean, i'm too through with this system. i think i will hunt down Andre Walker himself and make him type my hair, LOL :drunk:

or pick up a brick and opening a can of whoop arse :lachen:

where are y'all seeing these 3B sections, for real?!?!?!? i have yet to see a coil/curl on my head anywhere near the size of a salt shaker/piece of sidewalk chalk. :nono:

you know what i shoulda done, posted a naked hair picture. not that products make a huge difference in what my texture looks like... but you can tell the 3c from the 4a VERY easily without product. the 3c becomes frizzy whereas the 4a stays coily.

yeah, i think i'll do that... like a smart person woulda done in the first place... :look:

REALLY? Then I'm 3c, 4a mix. I really don't follow the system, I just do it for the sake of "somewhat" identifying with others.

The saltshaker thing confused me to the highest. Reason being.....salt shakers are pretty big.......I would think they would be 3a. And.....I haven't looked at sidewalk chalk since I was a kid but I can't say I remember it being near the size of a saltshaker. Aren't there different sized saltshakers? So which one are we going by:spinning:....dang saltshaker........:lachen:

This hairtype thing is confusing as all get out.

The saltshaker thing confused me to the highest. Reason being.....salt shakers are pretty big.......I would think they would be 3a. And.....I haven't looked at sidewalk chalk since I was a kid but I can't say I remember it being near the size of a saltshaker. Aren't there different sized saltshakers? So which one are we going by:spinning:....dang saltshaker........:lachen:

This hairtype thing is confusing as all get out.

to add to the confusion... type 3a and 3b are not separated by curl size. they are separated by how the curls form. when 3a hair is shorter, it hangs straight. the longer the hair grows, the more it curls from the ends up. whereas 3b hair is curly from the moment it comes up out of the scalp.

confused yet? :lachen:

to add to the confusion... type 3a and 3b are not separated by curl size. they are separated by how the curls form. when 3a hair is shorter, it hangs straight. the longer the hair grows, the more it curls from the ends up. whereas 3b hair is curly from the moment it comes up out of the scalp.

Yep....good grief:wallbash:. Our own LHCF hair type chart is sounding better and better to me.

oh oh yea let's not forget the difference between a highly textured 3b and a low textured 3b (in english: the difference between a nappy 3b and a clear person's type 3b).

juuuuuuuuuuust adding to the confusion yall, juuuuuuuust adding to the confusion:lachen:

<snatching that brick outta LL's hand and opens her own can of whoop arse>

^^^Silvergirl... your preggers! congrats! :grin:

back on topic though... you are one of the main people i think of when someone says 3c. i know part of my hair looks like yours (mainly front/canopy) but then the rest of my hair is so much BIGGER, especially in back where the coils are tighter.

well, the poll is still very close... about 56.66% say 3c and 43.33% say 4a. for now i'm gonna stick with the doggone slash (3c/4a) and if people have questions or comments i'll further explain myself, LOL

thanks everyone who voted! :yep:

Last edited:
Both... picture 1 represents your curls the best and picture 2's thickness is similar....I probably confused you even more.:lachen: Your hair

is all your own and appears to not fit inside the "box". I think hair typing

is to be used as a guideline and not the "rule". Nevertheless, your hair is

beautiful!

Back