On the fence with CON Green label

Ms_Twana

Okay, so I found a store that still sells the original CON with the green bottle. I really needed a shampoo that didn't make my hair a tangled mess in addition to moisturizing it well. So, I grabbed two bottles. I tried it last night, and I'm on the fence about it.

1. Okay, I read that CON puts build up right back on your hair when you wash it. I'm assuming that's because of the cones. But, I was a little shocked when I rinsed the shampoo out and it felt like I was just starting to wash my hair. I was not used to that. I'm used to having the squeaky clean feel, but that squeaky clean feel is what made my hair have massive tangles.
  2. I was able to detangle my hair with the shampoo in, so that's a plus. I normally can not do that.
  3. I DO NOT like the smell. :nono:
So, CON green label guru's give me some advice and/or tips. :yep:

I always use this stuff diluted down as I personally find it quite strong but effective when diluted down.

I hear ya about the smell also but its the only thing which keeps my hair and weave in check. To remedy the smell issue I have been adding 1 or 2 drops of peppermint oil to my diluted CON and boy does that make a difference and its a treat for the scalp (btw you literally only need one or two drops as peppermint oil is quite strong...).

HTH's

Is this stuff still good? Like how long has it been since it was discontinued? I use it myself but I was wondering about that last night.

IMO, it's not a shampoo you should use Every wash but it does make the hair easier to manage. I know some people will use a deep cleansing poo first or clarifying poo and then use the Con right after. I don't do that cause it's just too "extra" but you may want to give that a try since you want your hair to feel cleaner.

The only thing I'd suggest is that you try diluting it. It may work out better for you then. But regardless of what you do, you won't get that stripped feeling from it or that squeaky clean feeling from it. The formula is made so that you won't even have to follow up with a conditioner. But of course we all do. I was just saying that to say that, it's gonna leave some deposits on your hair regardless.

Last edited:
I love CON i use it diluted as well, since I no poo as well it sort of gives the same kind of feeling of hair thats not stripped after washing I also clarify regularly.

Thanks for the responses ladies.

Is this stuff still good? Like how long has it been since it was discontinued? I use it myself but I was wondering about that last night.

I was wondering that myself. And of course there's no date on the bottles.

PM me if you decide you want to get rid of it, please. Thanks!

*sigh*.....she took the words RIGHT outta my mouth!!!:lachen:

I knew SOMEBODY was gonna say that. :lachen:

IMO, it's not a shampoo you should use Every wash but it does make the hair easier to manage. I know some people will use a deep cleansing poo first or clarifying poo and then use the Con right after. I don't do that cause it's just too "extra" but you may want to give that a try since you want your hair to feel cleaner.

Okay. Maybe I'll just alternate it with PM Smoothing. That line has great slip.

It seems like clarifying would be pointless because I'd just put the build up right back on my hair. I'm sure I'll have to clarify more often though, depending on how often I use CON.

I absolutely love this shampoo. This is the only shampoo I've tried that doesn't leave my hair feeling dry with that "too clean" feeling. I do clarify more often (with ORS Creamy Aloe), but I find my hair still does not dry out since I follow up with CON. Sometimes I dilute it and sometimes I use it full strength. I really wish I lived near that store because I would clean off the shelves.

I absolutely love this shampoo. This is the only shampoo I've tried that doesn't leave my hair feeling dry with that "too clean" feeling. I do clarify more often (with ORS Creamy Aloe), but I find my hair still does not dry out since I follow up with CON. Sometimes I dilute it and sometimes I use it full strength. I really wish I lived near that store because I would clean off the shelves.

Do you use it for every shampoo wash??

I used this shampoo for years I usually have staples that I don't change often, I switched this about 3 years ago, it actually worked FANTASTIC and I used it for every shampoo, it gave excellent detangling for my hair, I did have to wet my hair like Extra so I can agree with the diluting part meaning I'd wet my hair, put shampoo, wet it a little more and then shampooed it gaved a great lather, Awesome product, don't know why they discontinued it, it's a shame. This is with my aphogee, motions products I have used since the beginning of time. LOVE IT!

Okay, maybe I used too much then. I am one of those that feels like my hair is not getting clean if it doesn't lather (I know that's not the case. It's a mental thing). It wasn't lathering the way I wanted it too, so I used more shampoo. Next time I'll try the shampoo, then water method.

I can't even trip though, between that CON and Rusk Sensories Smoothing leave-in, my hair is SUPER SOFT. I can't stop touching it.

okay so about the date on there. I remember reading that there is a symbol on Giovanni products that has a number and an m, that specifies how many months it is good for. Well if that applies to all products then my Con says 12 months!

okay so about the date on there. I remember reading that there is a symbol on Giovanni products that has a number and an m, that specifies how many months it is good for. Well if that applies to all products then my Con says 12 months!

Ahh, I see it. Mine says 12M too. But 12 months from WHEN. That was stupid to just put 12 months. :nono:

The people at the CON headquarters told us it had a 2 years shelf life when we called due to the formula change.

Okay, it looks like the 1st thread about it being discontinued was in March 2008. I wonder how much longer they continued to make it. UGH. This is a guessing game.

I never liked the squeaky clean feeling and think the deposit left on my hair is what kept it from tangling and breaking. If you like the squeaky clean feel, you won't like this product.

and Re: the date - I have a huge stash that I will use forever (even after 2 years if it lasts that long). I do not know of anything that works as well on my hair.

Last edited:
I never liked the squeaky clean feeling and think the deposit left on my hair is what kept it from tangling and breaking. If you like the squeaky clean feel, you won't like this product.

and Re: the date - I have a huge stash that I will use forever (even after 2 years if it lasts that long). I do not know of anything that works as well on my hair.

Your hair is beautiful.

What don't you guys like about the new formula???? I don't have any problems with mine, it still gives great slip,I honestly don't notice a difference except the ingredients.

I love my CON, I have two 32oz bottles left and if it takes me 5 years to use it so be it. Long as it still working I'm good, oh and I clarify every 2 weeks.

It's my secondary shampoo, and I've been using it for four years now. There's still plenty of original Cream of Nature shampoo formulas in Los Angeles.

Back