on average how much hair do you lose after combout

babyblue

Im just curious, because i'd like to know whats everyones normal hairloss after wash. Whenever i wash and combout i always lose that same size "little puffy golfball" of hair in my comb, Whether i wash weekly, bi-weekly, or daily. Leave-in conditioners help the comb slide through better, but even with the most super-slick detangler in the world i still lose the same amount of hair. Sometime i hear people say they only lose about 4-8 hairs on combout and im like /images/graemlins/confused.gif Im not rough, i comb with a wide tooth comb from ends up with conditioner in small sections but i still lose a "golfball" of hair. I'm so paranoid that for the past year I even collect my shed hairs to compare from week to week. Im surprised im not bald with all the hair i collected, i could even make a cute wig out of them /images/graemlins/frown.gif Ive tried everything technique so i guess that its normal. I'll just have to live with it /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

I get wash/press every three weeks at the salon, and believe me I watch her like a HAWK. I make her show me the brush after comb/out and I INSIST that she is gentle. Funny I ask to see the brush but I can't stand to look. It's about fluffy golf-ball size. Any one who looses only 4-8 hairs is a lucky girl, and I'm playa-hatin...

Don't Fret Babyblue,

I wear my hair up every day and do minimal combing and when I comb out I have about the same amount as you but I chalk it up to my hair being up so the normal daily shed is not shedding like it should. Do you take vitamins? What kind of setting lotion are you using? Do you deep condition?

Re: on average how much hair do you lose after com

Dry or wet?

I comb my hair wet with the conditioner still in. The shedded hairs are elongated and I estimate if I were to let those hairs dry and shrink up, the size would be slightly less than a golfball and loosely packed.

Did that make sense?

I lose about 10 hairs. Most of the time I get them right when I start my combout with my wide tooth. With the right conditioner I can lose none sometimes. I think everyone's hair is different tho. If your hair is thick and dense or even medium there's no need to worry. More hairloss is less of a problem (in my opinion) when you have more hair.

I don't have a lot of hair so the ten I lose is relative to the golf ball amount you guys lose. If I lost a golf ball sized amount of hair I swear I would be missing hair somewhere on my scalp. i just don't have that much hair.....

I don't think you guys should worry. If you are being gentle and using the correct tools and conditioners for you, then you are probably getting the average amount of hairloss for your hair and scalp.

I'm hardly loosing anything. Usually when I comb, I might have 3-4 hairs MAX, and that's only sometimes!! When I wash, same thing. I used to get those balls of hair you could roll-up, but not any more. I don't know if it's the vitamins or the extra care I take when handling my hair, but I really don't have much to complain about losing a lot of hair when combing or washing anymore. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Since I've gotten my hair cut, I see way less hair in the comb! I think my hair is stronger or something. I lose about 10 hairs (I'm estimating, I've not ever really counted) but that's not much at all. I tend to lose a lot less with the right conditioner.

whats up boogie down bronx diva /images/graemlins/wink.gif,

I take vitamins, a store brand multivitamin and ultranourishair. Im debating adding MSM and biotin but im cautious of taking too manys excess supplements for fear of kidney and liver problems later in life. I'm natural and i dont use harsh products. I do use heat though. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Henrilou,
Yes my hairdresser gets a lil' carried away with the combouts. thats why ive taken a break from salons and started doing my own press. Maybe with her i lost 2 golfballs instead of the 1 that i get doing my own hair.

svt,
always wet. Dry combout is even worse!

babyblue:

I just noticed in your signature that your natural hair is bra strap length. Maybe the hairs you're losing are so long that when they have shrunken, it just looks like a lot of hair has been shed. Try counting the number of shed hairs next time and compare that to other people's experiences.

I read about this same situation on another board.

i used to lose 5-10 hairs when i combed my hair any ole kinda way. now i'm losing QUITE a bit being extra gentle and combing in sections. it's so bad, yes i take a pic of what i lose every time. LOL! it varies from week to week, but it's pretty significant considering that i barely lost any no matter how rough i was when i combed. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

adrienne

I know that everyone's hair is different but maybe you might want to try MOP (Modern Organic Products) they are gentle on hair without all the harsh chemicals and cones. I get them in the village from Ricky's. Have you tried the conditioner washes?

Normally I lose a lot. More than I can count. I lose about 100 hairs in the shower during my wash alone. I am usually too afraid to comb my hair out afterwards in fear that I will lose even more. I never seen any bald or thin spots. I assume it is normal shedding but then again you all seem to lose not even a tenth of what I lose. Perhaps I should get it checked out.

I don't know, but I'm always paranoid with the amount of hair I lose during a comb out. But after I wash, I probably lose 10-15 strands of hair at most. There has been times when I wash my hair that I've lost absolutely nothing in the comb (there was probably hair the washed down the drain).

Additionally, I noticed that washing my hair every 6 days helps with my hair loss. I virtually lose 5-15 strands during a 5 day period. On the 6th day is when I notice excessive hair loss and that's usually the day i notice i need moisturize in my hair.

Maybe I'm one of the lucky ones or it could be due to my diet. I eat no junk foods, candy or do I drink sodas. I drink only orange juice and water.

After my wash I loose way more than any of you. (20 - 50)
This last time I had that much but the wash before it was less. I wear my hair up or pulled back in a bun. I do tend to comb my hair each day though. When I comb each day I hardly get any hair in my comb.

I lose about 15-20 hairs on wash day which is once a week and about 5-10 hairs once a day during combout.
I used to lose more than that before I started deep conditioning.

Now, I am so paranoid about snatching myself bald that I take about 15 minutes to tap the comb through my hair after I wash it.

I don't comb my natural hair, but the hair ends do tend to snap off on the ends (creating little black naps). So I don't really lose hairs; I lose hair ends.

Back