On a Healthy Hair Roller Coaster?

Royal Glory

How many of you have learned wonderful, strategies and incorporated them into your haircare routines---with tremendous, hairchanging results---but still have one or two main struggles? What are they?

For me, it's maintaining protein-moisture balance.

I probably need to incorporate more ceramides (see posts:http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=131270&highlight=ceramides) into my regime. I relax with no-lye and I work really hard to maintain the proper protein-moisture balance. My hair is in really good shape, but I still struggle with that part of my routine. I'm still concerned with a little breakage here and there.

As soon as I notice a little, I usually use Aurora's silk protein treatment or Nexus' Emergencee, but I still see a few broken hairs. They're simply thicker little hairs, that's all. Then at the next shampoo, I deep condition. Sometimes I prepoo with a wonderful moisturizing treatment and then do a light protein treatment. (My hair doesn't respond well to heavy treatments, like Aphogee.) Very occassionally, I will use a very diluted neutral henna, but that is about as strong as I can go with my fine to medium texture.

I feel a little like I'm on a protein vs. moisture roller coaster and really want to master this issue.

Please share your issue. And your suggestions...

Last edited:
I am definitely on a healthy hair roller coaster. I am just trying to get over my overprocessed ends by gradually trimming. when i wear my hair up people tell me it looks thick but when i wear it down, the ends tell a different story. I am learning to self relax because i am tire dof paying people money to just damage my hair.:nono:

I also struggle with moisture. Even after I wash and DC my hair still gets very dry. But my hair is damaged so I guess that's to be expected plus I dont think airdrying is for me.

Right now Im just focusing on healthy hair. i dont even care about length anymore. I just want thick, shiny hair. I'm doing trims and changing my diet, I hope to see a difference in a year.

Royal, do you use a chelating shampoo to remove the calcium deposits from the no lye? That can prevent your hair from getting all the moisture it needs.

Im in the same boat with the protein moisture thing...my hair doesnt seem to like heavy proteins at all. I cant use any moisturizers that contain keratin or other proteins because I just get more breakage/shedding from them. Ive found I can use something light like Aubrey GPB every couple of weeks and my hair seems to agree with that. I do it on dry hair with heat prior to shampooing.

Also joico makes a good chelating shampoo. Its part of a 4 step system. You chelate, then use a cuticule sealer, then use the kpac reconstructor, then use the moisturizing conditioner. Each step is 5 minutes. I like it but Im afraid to use the whole system too often since it might be protein overload.

Same story. But i don't understand the cermides thing.

There are indications that ceremides are an important ingredient for hair's moisture balance, especially for ladies who relax with no-lye relaxers. Some say no-lye relaxers, while gentler on the scalp, can be more drying to the hair.

For me no-lye equals dryness, i had the best hair when i had a stylist that uses lye and deep condition my hair bi weekly with rollerset. my hair was APL at the time i did not even moisturise daily.
I have used no-lye for the last 10yrs and still have dryness issues. Will be switching to ORS lye from ORS no-lye next relaxer.

for me what helps-
is to deep condition twice a week, - one moisturising , one light protein (aphogee 2 min keratin reconstructor)- i usually follow the light protein with moisturising conditioner (i just apply leave for 3 min then rinse).
Since I have been doing this i think it really helps with less breakage, as you are getting both moisture and protein each week.

ORS aloe shampoo or the neutralising professional size (same ingredients)- have chelating agents and works better for clarifying than standard clarifying poo.

I cant use strong aphogee as well so if experiencing brakage I apply ORS mayo as prepoo and let it air dry until its quite stiff.

For me no-lye equals dryness, i had the best hair when i had a stylist that uses lye and deep condition my hair bi weekly with rollerset. my hair was APL at the time i did not even moisturise daily.
I have used no-lye for the last 10yrs and still have dryness issues. Will be switching to ORS lye from ORS no-lye next relaxer.

for me what helps-
is to deep condition twice a week, - one moisturising , one light protein (aphogee 2 min keratin reconstructor)- i usually follow the light protein with moisturising conditioner (i just apply leave for 3 min then rinse).
Since I have been doing this i think it really helps with less breakage, as you are getting both moisture and protein each week.

ORS aloe shampoo or the neutralising professional size (same ingredients)- have chelating agents and works better for clarifying than standard clarifying poo.

I cant use strong aphogee as well so if experiencing brakage I apply ORS mayo as prepoo and let it air dry until its quite stiff.

Sometimes, I think about switching to lye. I'm concerned about the outcome. Let me know your experiences when you switch.

Back