OMG disaster. Please help...

JollyGal

I wanted to do my honey and banana moisturising hair conditioner. (homemade)

Here are the ingredients I put in;

2 mashed bananas (mashed with fork and then whisked)
two dessert spoons of organic honey
capful of milk (to make it smoother)
capful of olive oil
capful of aloe juice

I didn't blend the products...BIG MISTAKE.

I am now sitting here with a head full of bananey funk and it's almost like glue. :nono: Lumps and lumps of banana in my hair. I've tried washing it out a record three times with CON but it isn't working. Right now I've put a plastic cap on my head with the shampoo still in my hair hoping and praying the banana will dissolve or fall out

Can anyone suggest any homemade products to try or any products to buy to get this out of my hair?
Should I wait for my hair to dry and then try it again?

I do not want to cut my hair off but I fear it will end up like chewing gum.

I just wanted to moisturise my hair and I get this! :wallbash:

Thanks in advance

I would have tried using conditioner loads, or EVOO, hope someone else comes in that's been in the situation....

I'm sorry - I never experienced stuck banana chunks but I understand your pain. So I found this link for you on Yahoo Answers.
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20071209103705AAOO06s
In short the answer is a lot of olive oil to saturate the hair then gently comb it out. It sounds logical.

I had a similar experience with minced garlic and I let my hair dry (BIG MISTAKE). My second signature picture is proof that combing dried garlic out of dry hair is not a good idea.

Good luck.

So - Um - no this has never happened to me....

Next time... use a blender.

Good luck to you.....I have no suggestions.

yeah been there done that......conditioner mixed with olive oil, let is sit, squeeze out at much as you can then go through each section with a denman or smaller comb...not rattail just a regular comb.

Yeah....i don't use food in my hair anymore. :look: Good luck :)

Next time try babay food bananas there is no issues with getting that out of hair. There are plenty of disaster stories from people who didn't blend their bananas so trust that others have survived this. I know this isn't very helpful right now but I can look at that recipe and tell that it would be very sticky. It looks like a good one though but you will need to add conditioner or yogurt or soomething to change the consistency.

Even though it is really sticky in your hair I don't see any reason why it shouldn't rinse out easily except you will probably have to struggle to get the banana pieces out. Try doing a mermaid rinse. Just fill your bathtub full of water and lay down in it and full submerge yoour hair. Let it sit for a bit and soak up some water than use your hands too gently rinse the mix out of your hair. Follow that with a cowash and detangle well to make sure all the bits are out.

Just be gentle and patient and I think you will be ok.

Its never happened to me but, I would try coconut milk and then follow with baking soda, water, conditioner mix.

Other than that, I would run a bath, as hot as bearable. get in the tub, and lay on your back with your hair/scalp submerged in the water and swish your head around. Stay under the water for about 5 minutes and then start to comb through using a wide tooth comb while you are still under the water.

This should help you to ease out any chunks. You'll probably have to take a shower afterwards but this should help with the hair crisis.

Thanks for all your comments.

I'm now sitting here with banana free hair. I'm never using banana again unless it's pureered and seedless.

Suprisingly my hair feels very soft and smells nice lol. After all of that horror.

I rinsed out the shampoo in the shower then oiled up with half a bottle of EVOO (I was desparate) then did the mermaid rinse. It helped.

I thank you all for your suggestions. I now know to take it easy with the honey too. Sunshine lady I was tempted to use heat but my sister did that when she got egg stuck in her hair and ended up having scrambled egg in her hair. Bit risky :-)

Back