OMG, Arizona Ruined My Hair!

Angelicus

Because AZ is so dry with humidity levels no higher than 30 percent, my hair has taken a turn for the worst. Sometimes I wish I could walk around everyday with a shower cap on while my hair is drenched with conditioner.

I called two salons in my area and they only used Affirm Relaxer (which my hair is highly resistant to). I tried to relax my own hair again but it didn't get straight. I refuse to let them do my hair because their attitudes were foul on the phone-- just think how foul they would have been in person.

Yesterday I went to a lady's house to get my hair washed, set on rollers and then flat ironed. She used products that my hair hated (Creme of Nature) and ripped through my hair with an itty bitty comb.

While she was combing my hair I noticed something on the stove. I asked her what she was going to do with that pressing comb on the stove. She replied that she was going to use it on my hair :shocked: Then I asked her, "I didn't ask for a press, Where's your flat iron?" She proceeded to pull a Marcel type of iron out and place it on the stove too. OMG! I refused her services after that and just asked her to blow dry me so I could leave quickly. I told her that marcel type irons have hot spots that ceramic irons do not. And I cringed when she said "Girl, I use the best stuff. When I get finished with you, your hair is going to be fly!"

Looks like I am going to have to do my own hair. Looks better when I do it anyway. Time to buy a CHI iron from one of you guys.

Awh Anky sorry to hear that but Im glad to see you back. Now this lady that used the marcel iron was she a professional or kitchentician? My grandmother has been doing hair for over 30 years (professional beautician) and used a marcel iron on my hair forever and it never broke it off and it did just fine. But I think it depends on how hot the iron is because if its too hot (which most non pros do) and damages the hair.

Yes, she worked in her kitchen :nono: I am going to look at my old pictures on Fotki to make me feel better :(

I just saw your album... very inspiring ...from hair to weightloss to skin! :)
Hopefully you'll be able to preserve all that despite the dry desert. Looks like you may have to deep condition/moisturize every single day.

anky said:

I called two salons in my area and they only used Affirm Relaxer (which my hair is highly resistant to).

I've read other posts where ladies purchase their relaxer and take it into the shop to be used. It times get very desperate you may consider doing the same.

JCoily said:
I've read other posts where ladies purchase their relaxer and take it into the shop to be used. It times get very desperate you may consider doing the same.

Professional salons don't play that. They think something has to be wrong with you if the relaxer doesn't "take." Somebody just sell me their flat iron so I can be fly again.

I am friends with a really good braider but I'd really like a relaxer before I get braids again. The new growth is out of control.

Anky, so sorry to hear that :( . Maybe adding coconut milk to your conditioners will help till you get your chi iron. Glad to see you by the way and thank you for the card :)
take care,
g

Anky, which pt of AZ are you in? My hubby and I plan to move there next year and I have to get prepped. I heard using distilled water will help with the moisture problem. :)

Anky, I feel your pain. :ohwell: I just recently relocated to Las Vegas (an equally dry climate) and my previous stylist used Design Essentials relaxer on my hair for the last 2 yrs. Someone reco'd a stylist who only uses Affirm, and she is not willing to use anything else.

I'm still looking for an experienced stylist that uses Design Essentials. If I could find the relaxer I would do my own hair. But, what I've been doing in the meantime is to shampoo/condition 2-3X/weekly and use a leave-in conditioner (Rusk Smoother). My hair was getting so dry it was ridiculous! It's the only thing that's helped, and of course wearing protective styles when I'm not going anywhere special. I'm 11 wks. post relaxer, so I'm getting a little desperate. In Ohio, I wore my hair down everyday. I used to shampoo/condition every 10-14 days and my hair was never dry.

Hi Anky and ladies of LHCF! I've been lurking here for a few months but as a fellow resident of AZ, your note has prompted me to respond. I have just started using the advice you and other on LHCF have offered and have seen good results with my hair. I have been getting my hair relaxed at a JCPenney's salon at Paradise Valley Mall in Phoenix. The stylist I use there, Tim, uses Mizani products. In between salon visits I have had to really use lots of mosturizing products to fight the low humidity here. The water here is very hard and combined with the dryness, retaining moisture is a true battle. You may want to give him a call about relaxers...

Hello Anky, and other Az Ladies,
Welcome to AZ. I've been here for nearly 10 yrs. And, yep, its soooo dry. I can feel the air sucking moisture from my hair, especially during the summer. Half the week I wear my hair flat ironed, the other half wash and wear, or conditioner wash and wear I should say. This way I believe I am keeping conditioner and moisture on my hair 24/7 at least 1/2 the week.

I'm in Phoenix and know of only one fellow who owns a shop down on 7th ave and Camelback who I will let touch my hair for trims. He has a full service salon, small, but full service and he will listen before doing anything to your hair. Otherwise, I do my hair all by myself.

I have been using a secret that I haven't shared with the board until now- Premire's Rose Conditioner. Maybe I mentioned this in passing once before, but I'm now stating that this really helps maintain moisture. And before you go doing a search online-it is a horse product made from all natural ingredients, smells nice-like cloves, nongreasy. All the ingredients, I would use anyway, but this is already mixed, so its easier, and you get to cut it up to 10-to-1 with water (so it's cheap). I spray it on every day- just to put moisture back and maintain elasticity. I won't swear that it does anything miraculous like grow waist length hair, or end shedding, or make 4D coily hair 1A bone straight. It just adds moisture without weighing hair down.

I gave up on the MTG bc it just plain stinks, and I can't stand my head smelling like that. I tried everything I could to cut the odor, but the underlying dreadfull scent drove me insane every time I moved my head! :mad:

But, to give Az summers their props...its great to sit outside in the hot mornings for 5-10 mins and let hair dry 50-80% before blow drying or flat ironing! Saves serious time.

Sorry to hear about your hair woes Anky. Maybe braids until you find a good stylist would be a good option. Better to put off relaxing until you find someone to do the job right.

i'm sorry to hear about your hair woes, anky. I have been using your super conditioner this week- mixture of miss keys 10 en 1, emergencia and rivas silicon mix hair treatment- my hair is loving this. I also add liquid aloe vera , glycerin and a little apricot kernel oil to my conditioners. I spritz daily with a glycerin, water, little liquid aloe vera and eo mixture.

sorry to bring up such an old thread, but do any of you know of a salon in az that does eyelashes/eyebrows/threading/waxing? i do go to no limits salon on 48th st and baseline and my stylist antwan [sic] is very good, but my hair is cut all off...i don't blame him, tho (secretly, i do)...:mad:

awww... poor Anky. thanks for telling me. now i won't ever go to Arizona! btw that lady was crazy with the pressing iron.

I didnt realize how old this post was. I was about to tell you to come here to get it done right! lol. I am sure you have this well under control now. Did you get a Chi??

caribeandiva said:
awww... poor Anky. thanks for telling me. now i won't ever go to Arizona! btw that lady was crazy with the pressing iron.

:lol::lol:
really, i've been here since march and, i must say, my hair has gotten used to the weather...actually, my entire being went through a sort of upheaval/detox...it was HARSH, sista...but i made it...most importantly, the very hot weather (which is great when you leave conditioner in your hair) only lasted for about 3 months...and i can actually keep my hairstyles for as long as i want without them getting humidified...

i'll tell you wone thing - after living in the midwest all my life, i am excited about not having to endured brittle dry skin and hair during the winter...

NOW, if i can just get someone to wax my bottom and put hair on my eyes, i'll be okay...:lachen:

Anky, do you have a humdifier?? Yuo can plug it up at night and keep it going throughout the day so you can alteast get some natural moisture at home. Try walmart, they are pretty cheap.

Back