Old hairdressers warns me about getting hair pressed…

blkbeauty

I had setup an appointment with my old hairdresser from 10 years ago, she is an older lady who can really give you a good grandma press. Well, the reason I had setup an appointment with her is because, my birthday is next week and I wanted something different for when I go out. I’ve been natural for a while and have had many different natural hair styles, such as cornrolls, twist, braids, twistouts, puff, afro, you name it.

Anyway I wanted to try a press and curl for my birthday and everything was set until I gave my HD a call to see if she had a good heat protectant and she stated if I was going to press my hair often then it would be fine, but if I wanted to get it press for just this one occasion its best for me not to even bother, because for one it will not be “straight” and for two my hair will have a hard time reverting.

Now I am reluctant to even go…sighs. I am really just venting, but I would love some input from others….Thanks!

A press worked for me as far as getting my hair straight and I had no problem with damaged hair afterwards, but I no longer press because of all the horror stories I have heard.

I have natural friends who have "trained" their hair to be straight for their presses.....which is probably what your hairdresser means when she said it wont be straight...because its not "trained" yet....

If she says it will have a hard time reverting...TRUST HER...that means that she uses too much heat and will damage your natural coil. Most heat damage comes from straightening combs...Dont risk it....It seems that she has gotten this feedback before...

I would advise you look around for a hairdresser that uses a flat iron to press so that you can get your hair straight....or do it yourself...

Either way heat is a risk....but the flat iron presents a safer option because you can control the temp.

Whatever you decide....Enjoy your birthday :D

What about just using a heat protectant and flat ironing it by sectioning it off?

up to 2 months ago i was natural who pressed often. after the first time i pressed it didn't reverted. but when i was doing it more regularly some areas stayed straight. i didn't mind because the only thing i did with my natural hair was cornrow it or i did a twistout so you couldn't see the straight ends and most of it reverted but there were some parts that remained straight. it also depends on whose doing the press. the lady who did mine got it really straight to the point people thought i had a perm. and i went to someone else who didn't get it as staight and it barely lasted a week. so it depends on the person.

Last edited:
chica_canella said:
What about just using a heat protectant and flat ironing it by sectioning it off?

i say you got with that. i don't know your hair type but i would assume that a flat iron would get it less straighter than a press ( depending on how they do it). did you think of getting a dominican blowout? i never had one but you can do a search on naturals and blow outs and look at their responses.

I don't know what folks be doing to hair nowadays. When I was a little girl, my mother would press my hair every sunday morning for church and i'll be dog-on if my hair didn't kink back up as hard- if not harder- than it did before she pressed it. She used grease- blue magic and the vaseline-like kinds in the red and/or blue round containers. And i'm talking pressing from the kitchen stove, not a flatiron or a cute little ceramic stove. I don't think I'll ever straighten my natural hair for fear of damage. I'll have to stick to straight weaves.

brownsugarflyygirl said:
I have natural friends who have "trained" their hair to be straight for their presses.....which is probably what your hairdresser means when she said it wont be straight...because its not "trained" yet....

If she says it will have a hard time reverting...TRUST HER...that means that she uses too much heat and will damage your natural coil. Most heat damage comes from straightening combs...Dont risk it....It seems that she has gotten this feedback before...

I would advise you look around for a hairdresser that uses a flat iron to press so that you can get your hair straight....or do it yourself...

Either way heat is a risk....but the flat iron presents a safer option because you can control the temp.

Great advise!!

I press my hair once a month with Kemi Oyl and my hair is 100% natural. My hair returns to its natural state with no problem. I feel if you deep condition the hair before you press and use a heat protector your hair will be fine. And yes I do have a hard press when I press it and it last until I wash it.

I have my hair pressed once a week. I could go longer but I would rather wash my hair weekly than biweekly.

As far as training you hair, I thought people were referring to one needs to train thier hair to stay straight. The first time I pressed my hair, it was straight just like I had a relaxer. However it only lasted about 2 days due to humidity. Now with the products I use my hair can last a week straight in humidity.

My hair reverts every week once it gets washed. I guess it depends on the skill of the person who is pressing your hair. It been about 4-5 months of pressing and my hair is healthy. She deep conditions my hair every week and thus far no damage.

cincybrownsugar said:
A press worked for me as far as getting my hair straight and I had no problem with damaged hair afterwards, but I no longer press because of all the horror stories I have heard.
I've got one for you. My mom went natural but would press her hair too much (IMO). Anyway, no matter how many times she washed her hair it wouldn't revert. It was burnt aka "trained". The worst part of it was she had straight bangs and the rest was all nappy. :perplexed

On the other hand, just like cincybrownsugar, I've pressed mine a couple of times and never had a problem. *knocks on wood*

missnappylady said:
I've got one for you. My mom went natural but would press her hair too much (IMO). Anyway, no matter how many times she washed her hair it wouldn't revert. It was burnt aka "trained". The worst part of it was she had straight bangs and the rest was all nappy. :perplexed

On the other hand, just like cincybrownsugar, I've pressed mine a couple of times and never had a problem. *knocks on wood*

It's all a risk....some people have no problems at all, some people do. I'm one of the one's that had a problem, I straightened my natural hair regularly during my transition. Heat damage was a headache to deal with and to grow out. It's all a gamble though :ohwell:.

It depends if you can get your hair pressed w/o scorching/burning. I used to press, and my stylist once told me the temperature that hair starts to burn at. I can't remember what it is, but it is under 200 degrees. If you use a flat iron at 250 degrees, you may scorch it and alter the shape of the strands. I think some people's hair can withstand more heat than others, and some people require more heat to get it straight. This stylist obviously does not know how to press hair w/o damaging it, so I would not go. More than likely she uses a marcel and has no idea what temp the comb will be.

Thanks for your replies ladies. I went to the salon yesterday and to tell you the truth everything seemed smooth. She parted my hair in sections and sprayed it with my Nexxus heat protectant that I bought along with me. She Blowed dryed it in the sections and she pressed it so gentle until I really didn't feel the heat. And the result are beautiful and ver straight, however I had about a small handful ball of hair on the floor and I am concern. I am hoping this is hair that has shedding over time, because I don't ussually comb my hair and haven't prior to that in a few weeks.

At any event, I am glad I tried the straight look for a change, but I am a natural lover and I've decided that I will not do this often in the future.

I think you should get the press and curl - I think it would be a nice change for your B-day. When I use to press (high school) It would always revert because I was very active - cheerleading, track, step, and PE. Do you exercise regularly? Do you just want to sport the style for one day or a few weeks?

I would be careful about getting it pressed. If your stylist is old school then you can probably expect to get a "hard" press (really hot comb + lots of grease) that is not going to revert as easily. If I were you I would a dominican roller set and blow out, by best friend is a natural 4a and when she gets this done you would never know that she's natural. I just wouldn't attempt this on a rainy/humid day. Good Luck and have a wonderful brithday :)

brownsugarflyygirl said:

I think the same. She is just warning you not to expect it to hold a press as well since its a one time thingy. Now if you plan on wearing a bone straight still often it will take a few presses to retrain your hair.
Enjoy your bday!

blkbeauty said:
Thanks for your replies ladies. I went to the salon yesterday and to tell you the truth everything seemed smooth. She parted my hair in sections and sprayed it with my Nexxus heat protectant that I bought along with me. She Blowed dryed it in the sections and she pressed it so gentle until I really didn't feel the heat. And the result are beautiful and ver straight....

THAT'S GREAT NEWS!!!:yay:Are you going to post pics??

Last edited:
Back