Old Flames Reunited Make For Longer-lasting Marriages ?

kanozas

se ven las caras pero nunca el corazón
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/s...d-make-the-most-lasting-marriages-711097.html

Old flames reunited make the most lasting marriages
Click to follow
The Independent Online
The rekindling of young love after many years apart is the key to long-lasting wedded bliss, researchers say.

The rekindling of young love after many years apart is the key to long-lasting wedded bliss, researchers say.

A study in the United States found that people who rekindled youthful romances at least five years after they had split up had a 76 per cent chance of staying together, compared with a 40 per cent chance of successful marriage in the rest of the population. The study is the first done on people reunited with a lost lover after years apart.

Nancy Kalish and colleagues from California State University found it was not just the nostalgia of ageing that made people look for their first love. The average age of those involved in the reunions was 36.

Older couples attributed their success to having re-found their soulmates and to increased maturity. Some 55 per cent chose to reunite with someone they loved when they were 17 or younger - their first love - and 29 per cent chose a former sweetheart from late adolescence.

The researchers found the most common reason for the initial romance breaking up was parental disapproval, accounting for 25 per cent of cases. Other frequent reasons included "We were too young" (11 per cent), "Moved away" (11 per cent) and "Left to attend school" (7 per cent). None of those who took part in the study said the relationship ended because they were not getting on.

Professor Kalish said: "Perhaps absence really does make the heart grow fonder. These were not the 10-minute loves that adults often attribute to teenagers." More than one-third of the initial romances had lasted 13 months to three years. Some 15 per cent had lasted four or five years and 12 per cent more than five years.

Many of those who were reunited said that they resented their parents belittling these early romances, calling them crushes or puppy love. Professor Kalish said: "Many reported great bitterness towards parents for breaking them apart years earlier. This research may serve as a cautionary tale for today's parents to think twice before they interfere with a teen's romance or dismiss it as 'just puppy love'."

The professor said curiosity or finding their first love by chance caused problems for some people. "A person may not have thought of cheating on a spouse - he or she may play around on a computer at work one day, type the name of the first love as a lark and out pops the e-mail address."

Professor Kalish found that innocent e-mails did not remain innocent for long: 71 per cent of respondents reported obsessive and compulsive thoughts about their lost love.

The professor said: "The couples' first love had endured throughout their many years apart, and in the case of widows and widowers, often through very happy intervening marriages. However, given the high extramarital [affairs] rate, married people should be cautioned not to contact a lost love."

An example of young love rekindled is provided by June Chapman and Eric Turner. Ms Chapman was 16 when she met Mr Turner at the aircraft factory where they worked. They became sweethearts and dated for three years before Mr Turner left their home town of Swindon, Wiltshire, to begin his National Service. Letters were exchanged but after a year the two lost touch. Over the next 50 years they both married and were widowed before being reunited last year.

Mr Turner proposed in October. Ms Chapman said: "Eric and I met in 1950 and from the moment we began dating I knew we were made for each other. We had so much fun - Eric was always making me laugh." Ms Chapman married and had two children. "John and I ran the pub for over 35 happy years but... I never forgot about Eric. Every time I heard our song, 'Jealous Heart', by Connie Francis, I recalled the first time Eric kissed me."

After her husband died of a stroke she met an old friend by chance and they reminisced about their teenage years. "A couple of weeks later I was serving at the bar when a voice I'd not heard for nearly 40 years asked me if there was any chance of a pint. I looked up and there was Eric, the hair was greyer and the face a little more wrinkled but other than that he was just as handsome as ever," Ms Chapman said.

After six months they moved in together. "Our relationship is just as passionate and physical as before, although now we've lost all of our teenage inhibitions," she said.

Mr Turner said that his first marriage was wonderful but his wife, Gwen, died of a heart attack when she was 58. "June was my first love and I never forgot her. When I saw June again the old feelings came rushing back. I wasn't going to let her go a second time," he said.

To be honest, I don't like the idea that these people ar actually still in love/gave lot for their earlier exes while married or with other people.

First loves hold a special spot forever. Doesn't mean they didn't love the ones they married but it does mean that they could rekindle and develop that old relationship into something dynamic. Second choices don't always work out.

I recently rekindled my relationship with my first love.

He found me via fb and we have been talking non stop since then! Can yoy believe we were on the phone for over 12 hours straight? Talking to him is so easy and we've picked up from where we left off. We talk for hours everyday and I feel like a little girl again everytime I see him.

My feelings are just as strong for him as they were when we met. I was 11 and he was 12 when we met.

I hadn't seen him in 15 years! We've both decided to give it another shot and I hope this time around we can focus on ourselves.

Last edited:

He found me via fb and we have been talking non stop since then! Can yoy believe we were on the phone for over 12 hours straight? Talking to him is so easy and we've picked up from where we left off. We talk for hours everyday and I feel like a little girl again everytime I see him.

My feelings are just as strong for him as they were when we met. I was 11 and he was 12 when we met.

I hadn't seen him in 15 years! We've both decided to give it another shot and I hope this time around we can focus on ourselves.

OMG...that is beautiful!!! I hesitated to post this but am glad I did. Hope it helps someone somewhere.

Yeah I believe true love never fades

I didn't read the whole article (as I probably should have) but I think that it could only work if the couple didn't have a bad break up. NEVER go back to a cheater and a snake. They rarely change just because they grew up in age...then just get better at what they do.

I think this is more likely with "childhood" romances - the kind that never had a chance to become too serious because the people were so young, parents moved them away for immigration or school, etc. I know of two such marriages, second marriages, that are working out quite nicely. One was a slighty younger man, best friend of a younger brother of the woman's then-fiancé, who always had a crush on her, even before the engagement. At the time she did not take him too seriously because he was just a younger cute neighbourhood kid. He began courting her about a year after she was widowed, married her about two years after that, and they've been happily married more than 20 years, almost as long as her first marriage (and far happier). In the other case, the two "dated" briefly in high school (not really dating, since that wasn't quite possible in their society), but each was sent away for post-secondary education in different countries. They bumped into each other somewhere after both had been divorced; they reunited, married and have been on a decade-long honeymoon ever since.

I didn't read the whole article (as I probably should have) but I think that it could only work if the couple didn't have a bad break up. NEVER go back to a cheater and a snake. They rarely change just because they grew up in age...then just get better at what they do.

Absolutely, they aren't promoting bad relationships of the past. Sometimes, people just aren't ready to further the relationship and mutually agree to move on or mature as a single.

I have a love-hate relationship with this thread. It's giving me hope where I'm trying to bury it.

My friend told me this today in reference to my ex-fiancé:

"Some things aren't meant to be revised. I'm an English teacher so I know this. Sometimes you have to start over from scratch. The rough draft and edits aren't going to work. And anyway, he was a ssa hat."

You're the only person that can decide if it's worth a do over.

If he has previously demonstrated that he's trustworthy and considerate of your needs, desires, and feelings then go for it. Otherwise, you need to mentally crumble this up and keep it moving.

Last edited:
My friend told me this today in reference to my ex-fiancé:

"Some things aren't meant to be revised. I'm an English teacher so I know this. Sometimes you have to start over from scratch. The rough draft and edits aren't going to work. And anyway, he was a ssa hat."

You're the only person that can decide if it's worth a do over.

If he has previously demonstrated that he's trustworthy and considerate of your needs, desires, and feelings then go for it. Otherwise, you need to mentally crumble this up and keep it moving.

Totally agree with this. We didn't split on bad terms and he didn't cheat on me. We broke up due to living in different countries and couldn't maintain the long distance.

At the moment I am seeing actions nore than words, so I believe he's genuine with his persuit.

Only time will tell.

This is interesting. Me and SO met at 19. We were sophomores. Nobody expected us to get together or stay together, parents, friends, etc. It was a whirlwind, we were ready to get married within weeks. But, of course, that would have been ridiculous... so we jumped the broom privately. :look: A few months later, 9/11 happened. (We were official on Valentine's day, so literally, a few months.) He was supposed to be in one of those buildings that day, working with his step father. He wasn't. His step father passed that day.

In retrospect, it was like getting together right before Pearl Harbor or something. The trauma changed a 'You're too young for that' relationship into a grown people's relationship overnight. Even our families treated us different, like we'd all aged ten years in that one day. I often wonder if we'd still be together if we hadn't experienced that. Like, if it would have been one of those 'first love' situations that life forced to fall by the wayside. Instead, life strengthened our bond. It made us grow up faster, I think, just enough to catch up with our relationship if that makes sense. :scratchchin:

Interesting. I'll share this thread with him and see what he thinks. I'm wondering if the trauma short circuited/ re wired what 'should' have happened in the natural course of things. Otoh, city kids grow up fast :look: so maybe we would have been ready to settle down by that age regardless.

Totally agree with this. We didn't split on bad terms and he didn't cheat on me. We broke up due to living in different countries and couldn't maintain the long distance.

At the moment I am seeing actions nore than words, so I believe he's genuine with his persuit.

Only time will tell.

I think that's the key, giving it time. Starting fresh vs. giving someone the benefit of the doubt, I think is best. Don't assume he is great or that he isn't. Let the relationship develop at a pace that feels comfortable for you and always protect yourself, your heart, and your body. I think the hard part is when you knew someone years ago you can become overly sentimental and your heart can take over. Keep your feet on the ground and enjoy every moment. Live in the present. I wish you the best. What a sweet thing to experience.

Im not surprised that its kid romances that ended due to circumstances.

Later in life you have matured so you (hopefully) handle relationships better...and I can also see how with this person you might put away the "skepticism, baggage, and past mistrust/hurt" that we normally carry at advanced ages...they get to operate not just from a clean slate but with lots of credits

I think that's the key, giving it time. Starting fresh vs. giving someone the benefit of the doubt, I think is best. Don't assume he is great or that he isn't. Let the relationship develop at a pace that feels comfortable for you and always protect yourself, your heart, and your body. I think the hard part is when you knew someone years ago you can become overly sentimental and your heart can take over. Keep your feet on the ground and enjoy every moment. Live in the present. I wish you the best. What a sweet thing to experience.

Thank you :)

This is exactly what I've been doing. We speak everyday, but I remind myself not to get swept up in the memories and good times.

I listen to what he says and see what actions he's taking and so far I can see that he hasn't got time for games.

I honestly think this is fate. We lived in two different countries when I met him. The last time saw him was when I was about 22 and he saw me in a club in England!

He had moved here only a couple of months before that and he lived miles away from that club.

When I saw him I was in total shock because the last time I had seen him previous to that night was when I was 18 in we were both in Barbados!

We spoke that night but after about a week we lost contact again!

Fas forward 15 years and he finds me on fb. He couldn't find me before as I was using a fake name on there. He told me he had been searching for years. I had changed my name back in 2016!

So yeah, I'm going to try this out as it seems that the universe is trying to bring us together.

I can see it. You both went out and tasted what the world had to offer so there is a certainty about the relationship. You got all the "what ifs" out of your system for the most part. It's just a form of settling.

I am cool, like Facebook cool, with all my exes with the exception of my ex husband. They would try it at earlier stages, and for the most part I am consistent in personality, but I am more verbose in expressing what I want in life. That is the difference between old me and who I am as a person now. More self esteem and self care. "They don't want my love; they just want my potential." I had my high school sweetheart saying my son looks like he could be his. I was like "dude, how does that work? We haven't slept together in six years when I conceived my child" lol. What these men don't realize is I don't love these hoes, lol. Once I am done I RARELY, never, circle back. There are far too many men on this Earth.

Back