Okay So I got braids. Now What?

He_Leads_I_follow

Hey -

Can anyone give me any tips on keeping my own hair safe and healthy while in braids? The last time I wore extenstions was about 10 years ago! Back when I didn't care about my own hair. But now, due to this board, I care a whole lot! ;) So what do I do? I have human hair and I am a 4a/b

THIA for your help!

Hi Whip -

I have cornrows. It's actually the same style that Kinikakes has in her fotoiki. There is a shot of her standing in pretty blue wrap top with two caucasion gents in the background. Love that pic!
I'll have to take a picture and post it.

He_Leads_I_follow said:
Hi Whip -

I have cornrows. It's actually the same style that Kinikakes has in her fotoiki. There is a shot of her standing in pretty blue wrap top with two caucasion gents in the background. Love that pic!
I'll have to take a picture and post it.

Hello dear! :wave:

Well, when I wear my hair in cornrows, I make sure that I keep them OILED and MOISTURIZED!!!!!!!!! I also wash them about once a week and pay close attention to my temple and nape areas. I find that when I wear protective styles, I am able to pay more attention to oiling, moisturizing and taking my vitamins. Happy Hair Growing!!!!

Thank you so much for responding! I can wash my hair?! :eek: I thought you could only clean the scalp with Witch Hazel? How do I wash without ruining the braids? Thanks for your help

take the time while your hair is protected in braids to really pamper your hair. for me moisture is key, not oil. oil provides lubrication, and is a good sealant for hair strands, but it doesn't provide hydration -- water.

i spray my hair daily while in braids. i use a homemade moisture spray (distilled water, vegetable glycerin, msm, flax seed gel) or wave nouveau finishing mist. you can also use any braid spray, sta-soft-fro, or any "old school" activator spray (care free gold).

i no-poo my braids weekly just like i would my regular hair (i have individual box yarn braids). if you're worried about disturbing your cornrows, you can try covering your head with a stocking cap, and then proceed as usual, making sure to gently wash your braids/scalp with the paddles of your fingers.

also tying your cornrows up at night will help them stay "fresh" longer.

hth

baby42 said:
i all so dc and i use my bt and mois and bag every night:)

The way I see it, anything your hair needed before you braided it you'll need after it's braided.

Back