Okay, seriously...fess up...

WaterMoccasin

How many of you have/had thinning/bald spots for longer than 5 years and actually had the usual recommendations work for you (castor oil or some other oil like emu), massaging, Nioxin follicle booster)? I've had a bald/thin spot for over 10 years. I even had all of my hair cut off in 9th grade (my mom only agreed because she thought it would help my thin spot to grow back since I wouldn't be pulling it back in tight ponytails). Weelll, my hair grew back rapidly- in 10 months it was back to shoulder-length- but did the thin spot fill in? Noooo...

I recently started the Nioxin (the same day as Surge- Nov 3rd) and I'm wondering if I should bother to keep trying or if there's something else someone (who had this problem for years and years) can recommend OR just let me know that I should start saving for that hair surgery
crazy.gif
(you know, the one where they take your own hair from the back or wherever and use it to fill in thin/bald spots).

Thanks!!
please help
cry3.gif

Last edited:
My girlfriend has the same problem. She finally went to a doctor and he told her the hair follicles are dead. So, she's saving up 3K for the surgery.

what initially caused the spot? i've never had one like it, but i have a really good friend that did. she had really thin temples for over five years. she tried the ORS temple stuff (did NOTHING!) and Vitamin E (did little). she went to my dermatologist who gave her samples of something called Cormax, whose generic name is Clobestal Propionate. she had results in about a month or so, and she continues to see an improvement.
smile.gif

if you have the Surge and Nioxin, i'd definitely give them a shot since you have them. you have to have a prescription for the Cormax.

i say at long as you're alive and kicking, there's always hope! chin up!!

I have a similar problem with my hair. And yes! it has been going on for years! I call it my "weak spot". I have breakage in the crown of my head. Do you have problems with itching in the area of breakage? I do. I have tried several conditoners with no luck. I am new to this forum and plan on trying Aphogee and Aubrey GPB. I have read some really good ideas and plan on trying them.
frown.gif
frown.gif

I used to have a thin right side...Vit E worked to restore some, profectiv anti-thinning circulation balm worked to restore some more but I really noticed hair coming in this year when I started to use liquid cortisone. HTH
smile.gif

Hi Adrienne
wave.gif

My sis got a prescription from a dermatologist for liquid cotisone and she doesn't use it so I decided to try it and voila. It's called Topilene (Glycol lotion).

I have had a "weak spot" for over ten years now. My mom and my aunt have the same problem. The hair grows about 5 inches and then it breaks again. My new stylist suggested that I consult with a dermatologist. I went to Dr. Cheryl Burghess in Washington, DC. She recommended taking EPA/DHA (fish oil concentrate). I have been doing this for a year now and the spot has filled in and its longer than ever before. I just purchased more at the Vitamin Shoppe on yesterday.

Thanks for the responses ladies! I guess I should look into this cormax/liquid cortisone/topilene thing...(and then see a dermatologist
tongue.gif
)

Faith, how long did it take you to see results with this stuff?

Oh yes, to answer some questions: the cause of this bald spot= tight ponytails! I had my hair first relaxed when I was 10 and I remember still having all my hair at that time (even though it still used to be styled tightly)...
It's sometime in the following 2 years that I noticed that a section on my right side was thinning out and eventually there was a little bald spot.

I definitely suspect those follicles are dead
crazy.gif

my friend had the balding spots from too tight braids and weaves over an extended period of time. nothing worked until the Cormax, but i believe now that the follicles have been awakened, other things are helping as well.
smile.gif
i'll have to ask if she's still using the Cormax at all.

I also talked to DR Cheryl Burgess over the telephone when
my hair was thining in the top and she suggested Viviscal.
I started the Viviscal and used nioxin follicle booster but
I had the bald spots only for 2 months before starting the
Viviscal and follicle booster.

My weak spot has always been my hairline. Overprocessing, pulling into tight ponytails and slicking it back with hair gel caused my once rather prominent widows peak to fade away. Now it is back with a vegence. It is coming in fast and thick and it is very obvious the type of hairline that I have. At first I thought that the follicles had died but I did not really worry about it because I had a low hairline any way. I mean the lower edges my eyebrows will connect with my hairline if I let it grow in. But now I like having it back.

Back