Ok So Whats The Verdict?

30 years to..I kid, I kid

I guess it depends on your hair type and personal beliefs. Some people like it, others think it's the Debil.

@jennifer30

Mineral oil is a really misunderstood ingredient.

It is not intrinsically bad, but know how to use it and what to expect from it. There's a time for coconut and other natural oils (when you need your oil to penetrate the strand) but sometimes the only thing that will seal in moisture for me is vaseline or unscented mineral oil.

My face loves it too! Check out the ingredients of Clinique's Radically Different Moisturizer: Water, Mineral Oil, Glycerin, Petrolatum, Stearic Acid, Glyceryl Stearate, Sesamum Indicum (Sesame) Oil, Urea,...etc.

Petroleum and mineral are "bad" because over time it can lock out moisture if not properly shampooed out and clog your hair follicles preventing growth.

Me personally wouldn't say it's bad but it depends on what product, what the product does and how high up on the list...usually the higher up on the ingredients list it is the cheaper/less effective the product is.

is mineral oil really the devil? everyone says its bad and it stunts hair growth? i need to know if this is true..

No. That would be a lie from the devil. I've been using grease and mineral oil based products for years with no stunting of growth whatsoever. So has the black community for hundreds of years before silicone protectants existed. The people who say it's "damaging" are usually 4a or of the caucasian persuasion. None of whom are knowledgeable or understand what works for afro-textured hair.

No. That would be a lie from the devil. I've been using grease and mineral oil based products for years with no stunting of growth whatsoever. So has the black community for hundreds of years before silicone protectants existed. The people who say it's "damaging" are usually 4a or of the caucasian persuasion. None of whom are knowledgeable or understand what works for afro-textured hair.
4a hair isn't "afro-textured" now?

Petroleum and mineral are "bad" because over time it can lock out moisture if not properly shampooed out and clog your hair follicles preventing growth.

This is not true. Tons of people had long thick healthy hair using grease for years before the widespread availability of natural products. They used grease in their hair and on their scalps with no problems. so many little black girls had long hair with the use of nothing but grease, a cup of water, a brush and a comb.

I have sensitive skin and most of my body and facial moisturizers contain petroleum or mineral oil. They don't break me out or clog my pores.

4a hair isn't "afro-textured" now?

No, not in my opinion. They may have similar porosity levels but definitely not an afro. 4a's clearly have a distinct looser curl pattern like Naptural85 or CurlyNikki. And most people who have that hair texture follow hair practices from the type 3 and above category because their texture mimics theirs closer than it does 4b and c. What works for us is a completely different ball game. Well at least from what I've found.

No, not in my opinion. They may have similar porosity levels but definitely not an afro. 4a's clearly have a distinct looser curl pattern like Naptural85 or CurlyNikki. And most people who have that hair texture follow hair practices from the type 3 and above category because their texture mimics theirs closer than it does 4b and c. What works for us is a completely different ball game. Well at least from what I've found.
I guess this goes to show that hair typing is not a science. Because I consider myself to be 4a primarily and my hair is certainly afro textured if it's unstretched.

This is not true. Tons of people had long thick healthy hair using grease for years before the widespread availability of natural products. They used grease in their hair and on their scalps with no problems. so many little black girls had long hair with the use of nothing but grease, a cup of water, a brush and a comb.

I have sensitive skin and most of my body and facial moisturizers contain petroleum or mineral oil. They don't break me out or clog my pores.
@jennifer30

Mineral oil is a really misunderstood ingredient.

It is not intrinsically bad, but know how to use it and what to expect from it. There's a time for coconut and other natural oils (when you need your oil to penetrate the strand) but sometimes the only thing that will seal in moisture for me is vaseline or unscented mineral oil.

My face loves it too! Check out the ingredients of Clinique's Radically Different Moisturizer: Water, Mineral Oil, Glycerin, Petrolatum, Stearic Acid, Glyceryl Stearate, Sesamum Indicum (Sesame) Oil, Urea,...etc.

I agree with both of these. I also wish people would use better/clearer terminology. Clogging is not the same as covering. Clogged suggests something has entered a space and is hindering whatever is supposed to be passing through. When something is covering/blocking it means that it's on the outside preventing exit/entry. That's why mineral oil/petroleum has a comedogenic rating of 0 - it doesn't enter your pores and clog them, it covers them. It may prevent things from entering or exiting follicles, and the substances that can't exit will clog your follicles. Kind of like a drain...when your drain is clogged, there are materials in the pipes that preventing water from flowing properly. When you've cover your drain, it's just to make sure the water doesn't go down and it's easy to remove. I also think mineral oil and petroleum jelly get a bad rap because most of the time no one knows what unknown toxins may be in them. It's derived from crude oil (which isn't good to put on your body) and has to be highly refined for cosmetic use. Because of that it doesn't seem to serve any real purpose other than to be a filler. No one's going to try to find and use unrefined mineral oil :lol:

My hair doesn't like mineral oil or any petrol products. My scalp doesn't mind them for short periods of time though. There are a lot of products that people love on this forum that I can't use because they contain those ingredients but I look and their and it's lovely and thriving so what can I say... all our heads are different so do what works for you and what feels comfortable for your conscience.

I use a great commercial leave in moisturizer with mineral oil up in the ingredients list. It works great for me.

Ps it's marketed to all dry hair types, and it's not in the black hair section.

Back