Ok I did it ladies...I'm wearing a drawstring ponytail to work today!!!

RabiaElaine

Hey Ladies,

I know some of y'all are thinking, duh!!! I know a lot of us on this board wear them as a protective style with a baggie underneath. I have always had a problem jumping in there and wearing one; the closest I came was a phony pony that I only wore maybe 3 times. Anyway my biggest issue was how fake it looks and that my white coworkers would think that it was ghetto. Since I wore braids for 2 months for the first time since I started working a few months ago, and they loved it, I thought that I'd put my neck out there and put on a drawstring ponytail.

So last night after work I went to the beauty supply store and purchased a human hair drawstring ponytail that was about 14 inches long for $22. I went home and tried in on and played with it for at least an hour or so. This morning when I got up to get ready I started prepping my hair with S-curl, and activator gel, I decided it was little too long for work, even though I liked how the length looked on me, so I decided to cut it.

Anyway when I got to work the first person to see me didn't even act like I looked different or make a comment, which he normally does if I change my hair. Then next person said to me "I like your ponytail, you look good like that." Stupid me blurts out, "It's not mine you know that right?" Her eyes pop out and she tells me no, she would have never known that if I didn't say anything. Anyway since then I've recieved a few more compliments from my coworkers.

I'm so happy!!!!!!!!!!! I've wanted to wear one for a while because I know that it's best way for my hair to get some rest and to protect my ends without committing to or paying for braids for 2 months. Anyway I can't believe how scared I've been to do this, when it's really not a big deal.

Now that I'm comfortable with wearing this at work I think I'll really be able to stretch my relaxers for long periods without braids. So right now I am at 8 weeks post relaxer and would like to wait until Christmas to relax my hair which would mean I stretched for 11-12 weeks, which is longest for me without using braids. I also plan to go back to cowashing since I don't need to manipulate my hair too much with this style.

Sorry for this being so long....Thanks ladies and Adrienne for introducing me to this option, sorry it took so long for me to try it.

:bouncegre

I'm glad it's working for you. :) Here are some hints to keep in mind.

Make sure you don't pull your real hair too tightly and be careful using bobby pins to secure it, because they may cause breakage if they are not removed properly.

Also, for me it helps to allow my hair to breathe once I come home. I take off the pony and let out the bun so my hair won't be too stressed. Or maybe I'll just pin it up loosely once I'm at home, so there's less stress as possible.

Also, remember to continue to tie your hair up at night, so your hair won't suffer any damage.

You'll be addicted soon and will have a wide variety of ponies to choose from. :yep:

kitchen_tician said:
I'm glad it's working for you. :) Here are some hints to keep in mind.

Make sure you don't pull your real hair too tightly and be careful using bobby pins to secure it, because they may cause breakage if they are not removed properly.

Also, for me it helps to allow my hair to breathe once I come home. I take off the pony and let out the bun so my hair won't be too stressed. Or maybe I'll just pin it up loosely once I'm at home, so there's less stress as possible.

Also, remember to continue to tie your hair up at night, so your hair won't suffer any damage.

You'll be addicted soon and will have a wide variety of ponies to choose from. :yep:

I think I am already, I've been checking out the pony's in a few ladies albums (including yours :) your hair is beautiful), and I think I might be going back to the BSS tonight to get another one!!! I think I'm going to rebuy the one I bought last night and not cut it and maybe get a wavy one like the one in your album.

Anyway I can't believe how ridiculous I've been about this.

Back