Ok, I am frustrated...how do I get salon hair?!

VroniL2006

I am clueless on how to get my hair to shine and bounce like it does when I come out of a hair salon. I have been trying to do my hair at home, for months now. I have even switched to the salon type hair products, I have bought magnet rollers to set my hair, hair rods, a hooded dryer, a denham brush, silk scarf, etc...and after all of that my hair still comes out poofy and dry looking.

When I look at a lot of the hair pictures on here by the women who do their own hair, i see a lot of shine and bounce. The hair lays just right and looks healthy. What am I doing wrong?

Even when I sit under my hood dryer, the top of my hair seems to dry the fastest and gets really hard. The bottom part of my hair never gets completely dry at all and I have to end up blow drying it.

My typical rountine is this:
-I prepoo my hair with Motions Silk Protein deep conditioner and seal it with Jojoba oil, then I sit under the dryer for about 10 minutes.
-I wash with Keracare/Motions Shampoo and then condition again with Keracare/Motions conditioner.
-Then I spray my hair with a leave in and wrap my hair with a towel until I am ready to roller set it.
-Once I am ready to rollerset, I put a dab of serum in my hair to untangle it and make it soft. Then I will either use wrap lotion or a mixture of infusium and water to spray each section of hair that I rollerset.
-Then I will sit under the dryer for about 40 minutes.
-When I take out the rollers and comb, I end up with mushroom hair. So then I will break out my flat iron and that just makes it look even worse.

My hair looks nothing like it does when I get it done at the salon. What are they doing differently? I sit there and watch every step that the beautican does to my hair. I dont seem to be missing any steps. I am wondering if I need to get a more professional hood dryer or those hot iron stoves with the curlings irons...but come to I think of it, the beautician that I go to now doesnt even use those hot iron stoves, she uses a regular flat iron on my hair...so I dont get it! Any advice?

The closest I can get to salon hair is with macherieamor's method. You should check her site out. www.healthytextures.com. Look under her hair care routine. She even has videos so you can do it yourself.

Hope that helps!

VroniL2006 said:
Even when I sit under my hood dryer, the top of my hair seems to dry the fastest and gets really hard. The bottom part of my hair never gets completely dry at all and I have to end up blow drying it.

My typical rountine is this:
-I prepoo my hair with Motions Silk Protein deep conditioner and seal it with Jojoba oil, then I sit under the dryer for about 10 minutes.
-I wash with Keracare/Motions Shampoo and then condition again with Keracare/Motions conditioner.
-Then I spray my hair with a leave in and wrap my hair with a towel until I am ready to roller set it.
-Once I am ready to rollerset, I put a dab of serum in my hair to untangle it and make it soft. Then I will either use wrap lotion or a mixture of infusium and water to spray each section of hair that I rollerset.
-Then I will sit under the dryer for about 40 minutes.
-When I take out the rollers and comb, I end up with mushroom hair. So then I will break out my flat iron and that just makes it look even worse.
I have a few suggestions for you.
  • Be sure to not put too much hair on each roller; the parts must not be wider than the roller. Also make sure your hair is as taut as you can stand, but not painfully so.
  • Stay under the dryer until all the sections are completely dry.
  • Don't bother to seal the conditioner with jojoba oil for the pre-poo. You're wasting the oil which you could use to seal your leave-in.
  • You seem to be using a lot of products after rinsing out the conditioner: leave-in, serum, and wrap lotion or Infusium. Any one of those would suffice; not knowing your hair needs, type, texture, etc. I can't say which ones to forego.
  • Hair should really be soaking wet when you roller set.
If you take on board these suggestions plus follow macherieamour's tutorial, you should be on your way to successful roller sets.

Your hair needs to be SOAKING WET when you set it on rollers.

Try that and if that doesnt help you need to fool around with new products to find what works best for you.

What type of dryer are you using? I think that may be the problem.

I remember one day I went to my hairstylist. This was way back when i used to go to a hairdresser every week. She washed, conditioned my hair the usual, then put me under the dryer. Then the power went out at the salon, so she took me to her house and sat me under a dryer that she has at home, and my hair did *not* come out looking as good and bouncy as it usually does. That's when I realized that the most important component to her making my hair look good was the dryer.

Thanks for the replies.

I actually dont think my hair is soaking wet by the time I start to roller set, so maybe I will get a bottle and fill it with water to rewet each section of hair as a I set it on curlers.

I use a Gold n Hot hood dryer that I got from Sally's. Its ok, I kind of wish I could get a more professional dryer. Maybe one day, when I have some extra cash to spend. :grin:

ITA with posters that mentioned soaking wet hair for rollersets. AFter I rinse out my DC a towel never touches my hair. A good leave in and water might be enough to set with also. Once I left setting lotion alone, I got much softer bouncier curls. My hair laughs at 40 minutes of dryer time :look:...try an hour to hour and fifteen.

seeminglysweet said:
Your hair needs to be SOAKING WET when you set it on rollers.

Try that and if that doesnt help you need to fool around with new products to find what works best for you.

Exactly!! Macherieamour doesn't even towel dry. She just puts a shower cap over her head, and then procedes to rollerset.

Back