Ok...Henna is EXPENSIVE!

MadisonK

Ok...I bought some henna and indigo today. I had no idea this stuff was so expensive. Does anyone know how you can buy it cheaper?!!

I went to the local Indian store, but the boxes were dirty and I've never heard the brands mentioned on the forum. I don't feel comfortable buying them.

Any ideas?

thanks!

Girl u aint neva lied!!! :ohwell: Henna is gonna break me, because it is expensive as heck, but yet i cant get enough!!!! :(

I am still looking for a local Indian grocer that carries it (downtown Brooklyn), so if anyone has any recommendations, please do holler at me. :) Thanx.

I just ordered a variety lol from eastwestbazaar.com . They have uttam brand henna for about a $1.24 they also have shikaki powder and amla powder. The have dabur amla from 2.24 on up depending on the size. They are located in Canada I think. What is great is that no matter what ya order the shipping is the same. It was more logical to buy more for the $11 and some change shipping than to buy less.

KiniKakes said:
Girl u aint neva lied!!! :ohwell: Henna is gonna break me, because it is expensive as heck, but yet i cant get enough!!!! :(

I am still looking for a local Indian grocer that carries it (downtown Brooklyn), so if anyone has any recommendations, please do holler at me. :) Thanx.

http://www.thokalath.com/new-york/grocery_stores.php

Hopefully you'll find a local one there. ;)

I haven't really found henna to be expensive, and I henna about 3X a month. I buy Dulhan BAQ locally for about 2.49 for 100 grams. 100 grams lasts me 1-2 applications, depending on what other stuff (amla powder, etc.) I add to it.

Ok...I'm in Los Angeles, California. PLEASE someone tell me what brands of henna I should call around to find. 'Cause I have a lot of hair and I can't afford to buy it online.

Thanks!

indousplaza.com sells 500 grams for $5.99 I think. they sell amla, aritha, and shikakai too. shipping is around $6. i think they're located in New York.

MadisonK said:
Ok...I'm in Los Angeles, California. PLEASE someone tell me what brands of henna I should call around to find. 'Cause I have a lot of hair and I can't afford to buy it online.

Thanks!

Some really good brands that I use and are able to find at local Indian grocery stores are Jamila and Dulhan. They both give great stain and leave my hair feeling really good. Some other ladies have also said that Reshma is good too.

I PURCHASED JAMILA HERE IN ORLANDO FOR $1.49 FOR 100GM. I ALSO PURCHASED SHIKAKAI FOR 2.99.

I PURCHASED THE SHIKAKAI AND HAVE NO IDEA WHAT TO DO WITH IT. IS IT THE SAME AS CASSIA? SHOULD I MIX IT WITH THE HENNA? I ONLY WANT TO TRY HENNA FOR IT'S CONDITIONING/THICKNING EFFECTS.

DO YOU WASH AND COMPLETLY DRY YOUR HAIR BEFORE APPLYING HENNA, OR CAN IT GO ON CLEAN WET HAIR? OR, DRY UNWASHED HAIR? SORRY FOR ALL THE QUESTION'S

Last edited:
mommatide said:
I PURCHASED JAMILA HERE IN ORLANDO FOR $1.49 FOR 100GM. I ALSO PURCHASED SHIKAKAI FOR 2.99.

I PURCHASED THE SHIKAKAI AND HAVE NO IDEA WHAT TO DO WITH IT. IS IT THE SAME AS CASSIA? SHOULD I MIX IT WITH THE HENNA? I ONLY WANT TO TRY HENNA FOR IT'S CONDITIONING/THICKNING EFFECTS.

DO YOU WASH AND COMPLETLY DRY YOUR HAIR BEFORE APPLYING HENNA, OR CAN IT GO ON CLEAN WET HAIR? OR, DRY UNWASHED HAIR? SORRY FOR ALL THE QUESTION'S

Hi Mommatide,

I am also in Orlando. Where did you purchase your henna?

I PURCHASED MINE @ APNA BAZAR 9432 S. OBT, ABOUT A MILE PAST FLORIDA MALL NEXT TO SAM'S/ ROOM'S TO GO OUTLET. IT'S A LITTLE INDIAN GROCERY STORE.

KiniKakes said:

Same here kinikakes. I used to buy regular henna from the local bss when I was younger. Don't want to buy it online.

chicamorena said:
Some really good brands that I use and are able to find at local Indian grocery stores are Jamila and Dulhan. They both give great stain and leave my hair feeling really good. Some other ladies have also said that Reshma is good too.

Thanks, Chicamorena!

I've checked out two indian grocers. (I only saw two in the yellow pages). I went to one and they didn't have Jamila, Dulhan or Reshma. And the store clerk was less than helpful...like not at ALL! Then I called the other store and when I asked the woman if they carried Jamila henna she started LAUGHING and said no. :perplexed

Would beauty supply stores carry 100 BAQ henna? And has anyone found Indigo in a store?

MadisonK said:
Thanks, Chicamorena!

I've checked out two indian grocers. (I only saw two in the yellow pages). I went to one and they didn't have Jamila, Dulhan or Reshma. And the store clerk was less than helpful...like not at ALL! Then I called the other store and when I asked the woman if they carried Jamila henna she started LAUGHING and said no. :perplexed

Would beauty supply stores carry 100 BAQ henna? And has anyone found Indigo in a store?

You can get BAQ from fromnaturewithlove.com. I think it's about $6 for 400 gms. They don't sell Jamila though.

I FOUND THE JAMILA HERE IN ORLANDO, AND THEY HAD SOMETHING CALLED BLACK HENNA, BUT NOTHING THAT SAID "INDIGO" ON THE BOX, SO I JUST GOT THE HENNA, AND SHIKAKAI.

I JUST USED THE SHIKAKAI, AND IT WORKED NICELY. I FOLLOWED THE DIRECTIONS , BUT ADDED A LITTLE AMLA OIL. WHEN I DETANGLED SLOWLY, VERY LITTLE HAIR SHEDDED, AND AS IT DRIED, IT IS SERIOUSLY SOFT. I WILL DO THE HENNA IN AN HOUR OR SO

mommatide said:
I PURCHASED MINE @ APNA BAZAR 9432 S. OBT, ABOUT A MILE PAST FLORIDA MALL NEXT TO SAM'S/ ROOM'S TO GO OUTLET. IT'S A LITTLE INDIAN GROCERY STORE.

Wow you were fast! :) Thanks for the info, I know exactly where you are talking about.

UPDATE: I JUST APPLIED THE SHIKAKAI JUST AS THE DIRECTIONS STATE, I JUST ADDED A LITTLE AMLA OIL TO THE MIX WITH WATER. WHEN I RINSED IT OUT, WITH A LITTLE KERACARE SHAMPOO TOWARD THE END, I DETANGLED IT SLOWLY WITH VERY LITTLE SHEDDING:) IT'S AIRDRYING RIGHT NOW, AND IT IS SUPER SOFT. I'M OUT TO GO BUY SOME GLOVES RIGHT NOW, WHEN IT DRIES I WILL DO THE HENNA WITH WATER AND OIL

MadisonK said:
Thanks, Chicamorena!

http://www.thokalath.com/california/grocery_stores.php

I hope you can find an indan grocery there. A BSS will not carry BAQ henna, and I've never found indgo in a grocery

MadisonK said:
Thanks, Chicamorena!

That's surprising because every Indian store I've been to down here carries all three of these brands. But I've never seen BAQ henna at a beauty supply store. The link that Sohohair gave lists about 7 Indian grocery stores in Los Angeles so you might want to call them and ask if they carry henna. At least one of them should carry those brands.

VinDieselsWifey said:
indousplaza.com sells 500 grams for $5.99 I think. they sell amla, aritha, and shikakai too. shipping is around $6. i think they're located in New York.

Be careful ordereing from them!:mad: I ordered from them for the first time at the end of February and I swear by the next day I started having fraudulent activity with my Visa Check card.:mad: They are the only ones I had ordered from recently that was new to me and it's too coincidental that by the next day they were attempting to use my card (which they eventually succeeded btw). This all happened last week. My bank called my Saturday suspecting fraudulent use of my card. So right now until it's cleared up I'm out ~$2700 which made my rent check bounce.

So my Vatika oil, amla powder and keo karpin has now cost me over $2500. Unfortunately after I had ordered I received a pm from a LHCFer telling me a local store that she frequents.:perplexed Live and learn.

I have no concrete proof but to me it points to them.

Sorry, maybe I should start a seperate thread about this.

MadisonK said:
Thanks, SohoHair!!

This list is VERY helpful!! I will call them and ask for Jamilla, Dulhan or Reshma. Are these brands all BAQ art only? Where do you buy Indigo? or do you use it at all?

You may also be better off asking them if they carry Dulhan, Jamila or Reshma, mehendi, not henna. When henna is used for the skin, it is often referred to as mehendi (pronounced: men-dee). My boxes of Dulhan say "Deluxe Mehendi Powder"

The Dulhan I buy is BAQ, but Jamiila that can be found in the store is not. However it is such high quality and is 100% pure henna so it is just as good as any BAQ henna and is more than safe for your hair. I am not certain about Reshma, but a lot of ladies seem to use it with success. I think you can't go wrong with any of these brands, but as always check the dates on the boxes and perform a strand test.

I do not use indigo, but I think most ladies are purchasing it from various online vendors. I hope all of this has helped!

SohoHair said:
You may also be better off asking them if they carry Dulhan, Jamila or Reshma, mehendi, not henna. When henna is used for the skin, it is often referred to as mehendi (pronounced: men-dee). My boxes of Dulhan say "Deluxe Mehendi Powder"

The Dulhan I buy is BAQ, but Jamiila that can be found in the store is not. However it is such high quality and is 100% pure henna so it is just as good as any BAQ henna and is more than safe for your hair. I am not certain about Reshma, but a lot of ladies seem to use it with success. I think you can't go wrong with any of these brands, but as always check the dates on the boxes and perform a strand test.

I do not use indigo, but I think most ladies are purchasing it from various online vendors. I hope all of this has helped!

Again SohoHair...THANK YOU!!!!

I just wrote down the info you gave me and I'm ready to find cheap henna...or Mehendi! :D

buttaflye03 said:
Be careful ordereing from them!:mad: I ordered from them for the first time at the end of February and I swear by the next day I started having fraudulent activity with my Visa Check card.:mad: They are the only ones I had ordered from recently that was new to me and it's too coincidental that by the next day they were attempting to use my card (which they eventually succeeded btw). This all happened last week. My bank called my Saturday suspecting fraudulent use of my card. So right now until it's cleared up I'm out ~$2700 which made my rent check bounce.

So my Vatika oil, amla powder and keo karpin has now cost me over $2500. Unfortunately after I had ordered I received a pm from a LHCFer telling me a local store that she frequents.:perplexed Live and learn.

Sorry this happened to you.What happened to you is exactly why I am reluctant in ordering things online. I prefer to conduct in person transactions with cash that way I physically have the item in my hand and paid what I expected to.

I'm looking for an Indian store because one that I went to before had old stuff with dust on them so I have no clue as to where to go. God bless you all.

Ayur Natural Henna (Mehandi)
rightcorner.gif
T07068.jpg
Product Id : T07068
Description : Natural Dark Brown. Extra Rich Rajasthani Henna.
Size / Unit : 200 gm
Price : $ 2.99
ADD TO CART
ADD TO WISH LIST
linespacer.gif
<< BACK
linespacer.gif
This is the exact henna I use... Good stuff and lasts me a while. if you don't find it in the stores, you can go here. Fortunately, I get mine locally.

Tsipy

Hello Madison

I have purchased Reshma brand for 2.99 200g in LA at Aladdin Sweats & Market Inc. It is located on Vermont Ave. between 1st and 3rd street.

buttaflye03 said:

Similar thing happened to me when I ordered some Vatika oil. I have to pull up the thread to see if this is the same store I ordered from. Too much of a coincidence that I had $500 of fraudelant purchases and they were all Indian Cell phone carriers. :mad:

imstush said:
Similar thing happened to me when I ordered some Vatika oil. I have to pull up the thread to see if this is the same store I ordered from. Too much of a coincidence that I had $500 of fraudelant purchases and they were all Indian Cell phone carriers. :mad:

:eek: :eek: Whoa!!! This is crazy! No one order from them !!

Back