Oils as a moisturiser?

lennet93

Does anyone use oils to moisturiser their hair? I was thinking back to things ive used on my hair to try to figure out where my problems started and I remembered that last year my hair was very healthy and growing nicely. At that time all I would put on my hair was carrot oil, olive oil or ors olive oil hair sheen and I had no breakage, no shedding, none of the issues I'm having now. :perplexed

Does anyone use oils to moisturiser their hair? I was thinking back to things ive used on my hair to try to figure out where my problems started and I remembered that last year my hair was very healthy and growing nicely. At that time all I would put on my hair was carrot oil, olive oil or ors olive oil hair sheen and I had no breakage, no shedding, none of the issues I'm having now. :perplexed

Oils won't moisturize your hair, they will only keep the moisture sealed in so you have to apply it over a water based moisturizer. However, I use oils by themselves all the time and it works out good for me. Do whatever works for you. If using just oils worked well for you in the past then re-visit it and see what happens.

I use jojoba and castor oil on the daily basis. I know ppl say that oils dont moisturize, however everything I have read about jojoba states it moisturizes and castor oil is a humectant. I co-wash twice a week other than that I only use these oils on my hair.

Since doing this, my hair is breaking and shedding a lot less. It's also softer. I never got these kindof results using typical commercial moisturizers or homemade ones.

I feel the same way, I keep hearing that iol doesn't moisturize hair, but after doing some independant research, I've found so many descenting views on the subject. I love castor oil and kemi oil, my hair is shinier, healthier and commercial moisturizers just don't feel right. I tried to follow that piece of advice, but it's just not for me.

I think that oils lock in moisture and provide lubrication for the strands. That said, I moisturize with traditional moisturizers AND use oils on a regular basis.

If your old technique worked for you and your hair, revisit it.

Oils won't moisturize your hair, they will only keep the moisture sealed in so you have to apply it over a water based moisturizer. However, I use oils by themselves all the time and it works out good for me. Do whatever works for you. If using just oils worked well for you in the past then re-visit it and see what happens.

Dang, P. That siggy is killing me!! Very nice :gorgeous:!!
But, back to topic, I use my castor oil and amla oil by themselves quite a bit and the condition of my hair seems to be improving. My main use of oils, though, it to seal (and prepoo and oil-rinse, of course). I was having a dryness problem and once I started using castor oil every day, among other things, things started to improve.:yep:

Oils do not moisturise but our hair naturally has moisture in it. Oils seal it in but it is very possible for you to not put on a water based moisturiser and still have good hair with it because, normally without any sealant the water or moisture in our hair will leave the hair strand (via natural law of diffusion), however the oils keep the water/moisture in the hair so equally works well.
It really does depend on your individual's hair ability to retain moisture. IF you wash your hair quite regularly then you could just use oils, you would not necessarily need to apply a water based moisturiser, everyone should know the characterisitics of their hair and so do whatever works for you.

Back