Oiling the Scalp Necessity

Songbirdb

Since I've been taking proper care of my hair and doing regular co-washes, my scalp has been itching like crazy sometimes (and its not scalp build up because I poo twice a week and clarify every other month). And I'm thinking its got something to do with this winter weather or something (its very dry here). So anyway, I never used to oil my scalp before (because Cathy Howse said we don't need to) but I'm wondering, was so wrong? Should I be? I see a lot of girls on the site do. And if so, what oil to use? Thanks

I don't oil my scalp. I only did when I was trying to regrow a bald patch, otherwise, I haven't oiled my scalp since I was ten years old. To keep my scalp from getting dry, I drink water, take essential fatty acid supplements, and eat oily fish like salmon. Itching could also be caused by conditioner residue if you do not rinse the conditioner off. I see a lot of people that condition wash by applying the conditioner to the scalp and massaging. To me that's a huge :nono: . The conditioner is supposed to be conditioning the hair and just as I don't apply oils to my scalp, I don't apply conditioner to it either. I actually don't apply conditioner to the bottom inch or so of my hair close to the scalp, if I can help it. And one thing that I am sure helps ensure residue on my scalp is never an issue is when I ACV rinse at the end of my wash, I actually dunk my whole head in the ACV solution and massage my scalp to my heart's content, while my head is submerged. I do this after I have rinsed my head with lukewarm water for what seems like ages.

When I was first told that oiling the scalp (or more precisely greasing the scalp) was not a necessity, I was about ten and it was a male teacher that just happened to toss that bit of advice out. I remember thinking he had to be mad. A few of us challenged him telling him that dandruff would be the inevitable result of such "folly". He assured us that while that might seem to be to be the case as our scalps would itch initially, if we just resisted the urge to stop the itch with some grease but just persevered for a few days, we'd be pleasantly surprised and never need "grease" again. And you know what, he was right. I've not needed to put anything on my scalp.

I only put some oil on my finger for my scalp massage, not for dryness. Before I started doing scalp massages I never oiled my scalp and didn't notice any dryness. I really dont think I need it. I find that my scalp only gets dry when it's not based properly when I'm relaxing.

Thanks for the responses ladies. I haven't been drinking my water like I should. And I just had a relaxer done, and I didn't even base my scalp. I wish I would've though because it burned like hair. I don't know how to properly base it though. So much to learn :ohwell:

Since I've been taking proper care of my hair and doing regular co-washes, my scalp has been itching like crazy sometimes (and its not scalp build up because I poo twice a week and clarify every other month). And I'm thinking its got something to do with this winter weather or something (its very dry here). So anyway, I never used to oil my scalp before (because Cathy Howse said we don't need to) but I'm wondering, was so wrong? Should I be? I see a lot of girls on the site do. And if so, what oil to use? Thanks

I use oil on my scalp. I massage my scalp twice a week with a little oil to help keep my scalp stimulated and it helps keep my scalp soft. The oil also helps trap any moisture I have in my hair and keep it there. I don't think every person needs it but some benefit from it. I would recommend any type of pure oil like coconut, almond oil etc.... I don't use many manufactured oil brands on my scalp because they sometimes have other stuff in them that I might not want on my scalp. One oil I like that you might want to try from the drugstore is ORS Dry scalp oil. It comes in a 4oz bottle and has a nozzle top. It is a light oil and smells great. Try massaging a little in before bed.

If you mean oil your scalp like with grease I haven't done this in almost 10 years. When I was younger and my mother used to grease my scalp I had dandruff. I noticed since I stopped greasing my scalp I no longer have dandruff.

Three times a week I take an old bottle of coconut oil and used the nozzle from an old bottle of Wild growth Hair old with some MTG and part my hair squirt it in a few places on my scalp and massage. Or I'll take some coconut oil and rub it in my hands then massage my scalp.

Back