Oil sealing one night then moisturize the next day?

almondjoi85

I wash my hair once a week and since I've been on this forum (i'm new) I've been moisturizing then sealing with oil about every other night depending on how my hair feels. But now I'm confused because I read that if you use oil it seals the hair and moisture cannot penetrate.

So my question is:

if I moisturize then seal with oil (say monday) then is the moisturizing product I use wednesday going to work? :perplexed

If you're using most vegetable oils (olive, coconut, almond etc) it should, as some of these oils don't just coat the hair like say mineral oil or cones would, but also penetrate the hair shaft for example castor oil attracts moisture from the air too (apparently)...so you're good!:yep:

I do this. I moisturize at night with Jane Carter's Hair Nourishing Cream and seal with castor oil. I baggy my entire head overnight, then in the morning I moisturize and seal again. I wash my hair every 3 - 4 days and I never feel like I'm blocking the penetration of moisture to my hair.

Remember not to over do it. I use a dime sized amount of moisturizer and for the oil, I lightly dip one finger in the oil and apply to different sections of my hair. I would say about 4 to 5 times.

I wash my hair once a week and since I've been on this forum (i'm new) I've been moisturizing then sealing with oil about every other night depending on how my hair feels. But now I'm confused because I read that if you use oil it seals the hair and moisture cannot penetrate.

So my question is:

if I moisturize then seal with oil (say monday) then is the moisturizing product I use wednesday going to work? :perplexed

Yes, it should be fine. When you seal, you are sealing in the moisture. So wednesday the process just starts over again. In the beginning of my journey i would moisture and seal my ends everyday. It's fine.:grin:

I'm glad you started this thread. I just realized how important sealing my ends are and I was just thinking the same thing last night. Thanks!!

I think by Wednesday, the coating or moisture has ran out, hence you need to moisturize again.

I read somewhere that around the fourth day after deep conditioning, the hair is no longer coated.

Yup gravity is a *****! not to mention your head scarf soaking it uo, you hands rubbing it off, headrest in your car, back off the office chair, you pillowcase (cause Im sure your SO dont let you put on the scarf:lick:)
I moisture with a leave-in then coat with oil every night and some mornings. I wash every 14 days, but I think Im going to change it to 7......

Last edited:
Yup gravity is a *****! not to mention your head scarf soaking it uo, you hands rubbing it off, headrest in your car, back off the office chair, you pillowcase (cause Im sure your SO dont let you put on the scarf:lick:)
I moisture with a leave-in then coat with oil every night and some mornings. I wash every 14 days, but I think Im going to change it to 7......

He actually prefers I wear a scarf to sleep...he says my hair gets in his face :lachen:! But he also says jokingly says "black girls hair doesn't grow!" So I'm gonna prove him wrong!

Back