Oil Moisturizer is Disguusting

vtoodler

I cannot understand why anyone would use Oil Moisturizer in their hair. I have tried three different oil moisturizers in my hair:

1. Lusters
2. Just for Me
3. Profectiv
4. African Pride
5. Another brand that I cannot the name

And none of them worked on my hair like they said they would. Instead, they leave my hair feeling like straw. Has anyone else had a similiar experience with oil moisturizer?

The ONLY oil moisturizer I used to like was by Elasta QP.
The other ones you listed....not so much.
They just sat on my hair.

I used Luster's back in the day. I guess I am one of the few people who don't despise it. It was just too heavy, but it worked fine for me....I guess lol. I didn't pay much attention to my hair's "needs" back then.

However, I do find oil moisturizers in general to be too thick and often full of unnecessary ingredients, so that's the only reason why I prefer a creamy moisturizer.

I use both BB Castor oil moisturizer and Kid's Organics Shea Butter Detangling lotion on my daughter. I love what they do for her super tight curls. They don't do much for my relaxed ends but when I was attempting to transition it worked on my roots.

Try using as a pre-poo. I usually use with heating cap (overnight) and then wash out and DC. Works for moi.

I kind of like oil moisturizers...lol I find that oil moisturizers work better for me on wet hair. I use them AFTER I use a leave-in, and my hair is silky, smooth, and tangle free. On dry hair, water based moisturizers work better for me, and produce similar results. I don't have buildup (I use dime sized portions), and my hair always feels smooth and soft to the touch.

Keracare Oil Moisturizer had my hair feeling like straw when I used it on my dry hair...I just played around with my products, because I found out that sometimes it is the order in which you do things that can make a big difference! Now that I changed the order of how I use it, it has become one of my staple moisturizers!

GabanaGirl, how long did it take you to get that beautiful head of hair?

Thanks girl...About two years ago I had hair that was barely shoulder length, and jacked up. So it is improved somewhat in the last two years. I still have some breakage, short spots etc, but I had a love/hate relationship with my hair until I found LHCF (which was about a month ago), so hopefully with the info I have learned here, I can have some serious progress....

I'm liking the BB Oil moisturizer right now. Seems to moisturize and seal my hair at the same time and I need the extra oil in my hair now that the weather is cold. I am like GabbanaGirl, I put it on my hair while wet, rollerset it and my hair holds the moisture much better this way.

I use both BB Castor oil moisturizer and Kid's Organics Shea Butter Detangling lotion on my daughter. I love what they do for her super tight curls. They don't do much for my relaxed ends but when I was attempting to transition it worked on my roots.

Ironically, i am relaxed and my hair is super dry from protein overload, BB Castor oil Moisturizer is the only thing that keeps my hair well moisturized, nothing else works. I started using it about 6 months ago and i fell in love with it

I like some of the profectives. I just don't use alot of it. I have to use it sparingly because I have fine/thin hair. The others I don't use.

The only oil moisturizer that I can tolerate is Silk Elements. I use it sparingly. I love moisturizers like CFC Instant Moisturizer, CFCG, Wave Nouveau. I hate Scurl with a passion. It is sticky and it stinks. I only use the oil moisturizer when I am wearing a rollerset with is very rarely.

I kind of like oil moisturizers...lol I find that oil moisturizers work better for me on wet hair. I use them AFTER I use a leave-in, and my hair is silky, smooth, and tangle free. On dry hair, water based moisturizers work better for me, and produce similar results. I don't have buildup (I use dime sized portions), and my hair always feels smooth and soft to the touch.

Keracare Oil Moisturizer had my hair feeling like straw when I used it on my dry hair...I just played around with my products, because I found out that sometimes it is the order in which you do things that can make a big difference! Now that I changed the order of how I use it, it has become one of my staple moisturizers!

Thanks. I have some of that stuff and hated it for the same reason. But never tried it on my hair when wet. I was prob a lil heavy handed with it too. A lil of that stuff definately goes a long way. Thanks again!

I used to feel the same way about oil moisturizers. Then, I realized I just had never come across a good one. Pink Oil is one of the most disgusting hair products ever, imo. I used African Pride, BB, and a few others. Not too long ago, I tried the Elasta QP Oil Moisturizer and liked it. I still use it once in a while. My main moisturizer is Hydratherma Naturals Growth Lotion. I guess it's an oil moisturizer and I love it!! Great ingredients!! :lick:

http://www.healthyhairjourney.com/contact.html

I was really turned off by oil moisturizers after my experience with Luster's Pink brand. I was conditioned to believe that the oil slick feel was beneficial and normal. However, I hated the feeling all the same. I'd rather use a moisturizer and seal with an oil.

Hey,

Silver2 has a staple moisturizer its called Neuortogena Triple Silk moisturizer. She doesn't comb her hair and uses this product daily. I will be picking up some Triple Silk soon. Try it out! Please excuse the spelling. :)

Last edited:
Optimum Oil Therapy 3 N 1 moisturizer. I believe water was the first ingredient. I used it before I started using my Sunsilk Hydra TLC.

My hair felt great, especially when I did a doobie wrap with it. It smelled good, too.

I don't like those oil moisturizer that you names, but I love B&B oil moisturizer. I used it both on wet and dry hair, it works much better on wet hair because my hair absorbs it better.

Hey,

Silver2 has a staple moisturizer its called Neuortogena Triple Silk moisturizer. She doesn't comb her hair and uses this product daily. I will be picking up some Triple Silk soon. Try it out! Please excuse the spelling. :)

I will second this! I use it every day! My hair is never greasy with this product and it smells great!

Back