Oil moisturizer and cream moisturizer users.

Cindy70

Does anyone here use oil moisturizers or cream moisturizers such as Pink Oil, Bonners, African pride, etc. I know that many say that the alcohol and mineral oil in some of them is bad and will eventually dry the hair out. My hair doesn't seem to have much shine these days, and I'm thinking about going back to using them. Any long term users of either oil moisturizers or cream moisturizers out there? Any recommendations?

i used pink oil moisturizer for YEARS and my hair loved it. i used it for blowdrying but also when i was wearing my hair in protective styles. only my skin didn't like it so i had to give it up.....

I used to use Pink Oil too, a couple of years ago. I've heard so much about how the alcohol in it can cause breakage. Did it ever cause breakage with your hair, Nay007?

I alternate between Phyto 9, Kiehl's creme with silk groom & Elasta mango butter. They work well at moisturizing.

lala, I've been tempted to try the Elasta QP Mango Butter, but the alcohol in it worries me. Whenever I see the word alcohol in the ingredients of a product I always immediately think that its going to cause dryness and breakage. Since you don't seem to be having any problems with it, I might give it a try. Thanks for the responses.
smile.gif

I've not had any problems with drying at all. It really smooths the hair really well. You could always add an oil to it to counteract any drying. I added olive oil b/c the fragrance was too potent for my sinuses.

Cindy70,

Not all alcohols in hair products are the drying kind, some of are actually non drying fatty moisturizing agents. I am not sure about the alcohol in the mango butter though but I'm sure you could do a search on the net and find out.
HTH
smile.gif

I use Mango Butter and Motions oil moisturizer. They work well for my hair, moisturizing and detangling it. I couldn't do without these products.

cindy70,
i'm sorry i'm replying so late, but no the pink oil never caused my hair to break, my hair really really loved it. i think it depends on your hair type too.

I use Kids Organics Shea Butter Detangling Moisturizing Hair Lotion and I love it. I can't remember who but someone on the board gave this tip and I've been using it every since.

i like Allways natural instant oil moisturizer. it has vit E, aloe vera, jojoba oil amongst other good ingredients. Right now im also liking hollwood beauty olive oil creme. Both are my favorite oil/creme moisturizers righ tnow

I use Motions Oil Moisturizer--works great as an after-shampoo detangler. Pretty much the only thing I've found that does, other than the Herbal Essences leave-in conditioner I stumbled upon. Anyway, I don't use the MOM everyday--just when my hair needs a little extra "help" during combout around retouch time.

Lecaste

I too use Motions Oil Moisturizer. It actually makes my hair look moisturized, which is why I don't particularly care for Profectiv Mega-Moisturizer. The point of me moisturizing my hair is for it to look moisturized as well!
nuts.gif

Allways Natural Oil Moisturizer gets my vote also
smile.gif
i use it on wet hair though, if i use it on dry it just sits uselessly on my hair

i love motions oil too, so detangling and smells great. my hair also loves the new pink oil light formula, it has no protein and no alcohol and really light.

That is the best stuff in the world. It smells good and it has no petroleum or mineral oil, right? It's yellow in a clear bottle from the Africa's Best Kids line? If that's the one you're talking about, I am in love with that stuff.

I'm experimenting with African Royal MOM. it has mineral oil in it but I would never put it on my scalp so I dont concider it a threat. So far I really like it. I love the ingredients in it. (minus the mineral oil) smells good and makes my hair really soft. I always spritz my hair with my water mix before I use it though and it seems to really make a difference. my hair just seems to make the best of things with a little water spritz as a pre-treatment.
ingredients for AF MOM
Deionzied water, canola oil, castor oil, polyquarternuim 32, polyoxyethylene (2) steraryl ether, polysorbate 80, aloe vera gel, coconut oil, mineral oil,DL Panthenol, sheep sorrell, yarrow, wheat germ. slippery elm bark, sage, henna,comfrey, burdock root,goldenseal, cherry bark, black walnut,chamomile, jaborandi (heavenly hemp) alfalfa, hyssop, methylparaben, proplparaben, imidazolidinyl urea and fragrance.
I just wish I could find a good cream moisturizer with all the good natural ingredients above and none of the bad but until I do I have to compromise!

I tried African Royale MOM recently. It's not too bad. BB (same company I think...) also makes a Castor Oil Lotion Moisturizer that doesn't have mineral oil in it.

Some others that worked for me are Dudley's PCA Moisture Retainer and Empress Moisturizing Retainer (very similar to Dudley's, IMO. And it's much cheaper!), Salerm 21 and Beauty Without Cruelty.

*The Dudley's and Empress have petrolatum in them. It's the 4th or 5th ingredient. I've seen Empress products at Walmart, Eckerd's and walgreens.com.

i like motions oil moist. I was having problems finding something to use on my hair daily (besides olive oil, and s curl) and trhis is it. it detangles well too

Well...... Johnsons&Johnsons ultra sheen conditioning hairdress (extra dry hair formula) is really good. Its not an oil/or cream moisturizer, it doesn't have water in it. At first site, its basically hair grease. But its really not greasy. Its really good only on clean hair. You get a nice shine, moisturized look. I do not use it on wet hair, only dry hair.

Hmmm Sassygirl, gonna have to have a looksee at this BB castor oil moisturizer! anyone got a pic of it so I know what to look for. I'm just gonna read the ingredients...honest!

[ QUOTE ]
That is the best stuff in the world. It smells good and it has no petroleum or mineral oil, right? It's yellow in a clear bottle from the Africa's Best Kids line? If that's the one you're talking about, I am in love with that stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats the one I'm talking about. I love this stuff too, it makes my hair so soft.

Godzooki,

If you click on the link that Amberskye sent to you then click to the right where it says "next product" you will come to something that I use called BB Oil Moisturizing lotion in a tall slim bottle with a pink top. It has castor oil and aloe in it and work very well with s curl for braid outs. Its also great for shine and for blow drying. As a matter of fact on the bottle is says that its a blow drying lotion. I dont blow dry much but when I have blow dried my hair with it it made my hair thick and shiny.

Tee Tee

Sorry for the confusion. I keep forgetting there are two formulas. This is the right one:

BB_Hair_Lotion.gif

It looks like Luster's Pink Oil, but it is very light. Almost too light for me!

Back