Oil Infusions

*Muffin*

I was reading online that if you are infusing herbs in an oil that you shouldn't use too high of a temperature. It supposedly "cooks" the herbs. I recently made an oil infusion using Brahmi, Nettles, and Henna. I put the herbs in a glass Mason jar, added the oil to it, and covered it with the lid. Then I boiled a pot of water. When the water was at a rolling boil I removed the pot from the heat. Then I put my mason jar of herbs and oil into the pot and let it sit in the hot water for about 30-45 minutes. Was the temperature too high? And if you supposedly "cook" the herbs does that take away from their nutritive benefits? TIA :).

Have no idea. I use a crock pot for my oil infusions... I also check the temperatre of the oil with my thermometer.

I've heard of using a crock pot for infusions, and I actually have a little one, but I thought it would take too long so I decided to do it the other way. How do you infuse with your crockpot? In my mind I can't think of any reason why the heat would kill the beneficial properties of the herbs. When I make tea that I drink I submerge the leaves into boiling water. Wouldn't this have a similar affect as the oil? And when I used to make henna pastes I would add boiling water to it. IDK, maybe I'm worrying for nothing.

From the research I have done online, I learned that cooking food above 140 degrees is believed to kill a lot of its benificial properties. So to be on the safe side when I infuse my oils I always check the temperature of the oil with my finger. When it starts too feel like it is getting to hot for my finger I remove it from the burner (I put my far in a pot with water too but I put the whole thing on the stove). I think that this is enough to get the herbs to steep but I still put it outside in a sunny spot for a couple of days to be sure.

From the research I have done online, I learned that cooking food above 140 degrees is believed to kill a lot of its benificial properties. So to be on the safe side when I infuse my oils I always check the temperature of the oil with my finger. When it starts too feel like it is getting to hot for my finger I remove it from the burner (I put my far in a pot with water too but I put the whole thing on the stove). I think that this is enough to get the herbs to steep but I still put it outside in a sunny spot for a couple of days to be sure.

Thanks :). I don't think my oil was too hot because I was able to handle my mason jar pretty easily after the infusion process was done. I'm going to make another infusion using Rose hips and this time I'm going to be more aware of the oil's temperature.

I use a crock pot for mine as wel. I start it on high just to get it warm and then I leave it on low/medium for a few hours.

I think I'm going to use the crock pot. I'm just going to heat the water and put my mason jar in there. Does anyone know how long it takes to make an oil infusion without heat? I read online around 2 weeks to a month.

P.S. Just found out my crockpot doesn't have adjustable heat settings. You just plug it in and it cooks :(. Hopefully it doesn't get too hot. I think I'll let my oil infuse overnight. Is that a good idea?

Last edited:
I've once read that it takes 4-6 weeks without heat. That's a long time to wait for the oil.

In a crockpot it should only take 5-7 hours.

I think I'm going to use the crock pot. I'm just going to heat the water and put my mason jar in there. Does anyone know how long it takes to make an oil infusion without heat? I read online around 2 weeks to a month.

P.S. Just found out my crockpot doesn't have adjustable heat settings. You just plug it in and it cooks :(. Hopefully it doesn't get too hot. I think I'll let my oil infuse overnight. Is that a good idea?

Last edited:
I'll let it sit in the crockpot. I'm just concerned that the temperature might go above 120-140 degrees and ruin the nutrients in my rose hips :(. Oh well, I guess that's a risk I'll take. Next time I make the oil I may plan it out so that I'll have a month or so to let it infuse. I live in a pretty hot climate so I'd probably keep the jar outside in the shed or something and let it infuse. But that will take planning. But for now I will be letting the jar sit in there over night so I can get it over with, lol.

Back