Oh my gosh! The Smell!

Jewell

Ya'll I called myself buying some Glover's Dandruff Control Medicine (liquid form in the glass bottle) from Wal-mart yesterday, and silly me, I didn't open it and smell it before buying. I opened it late last night to use it on my scalp, and the SMELL WAS ABSOLUTELY TERRIBLE. I decided to mix it with a half gone bottle of WGO I had, to help, but it was UNBEARABLE.

I put a tiny bit on my scalp, and could not stand the smell, so I threw the whole thing in the trash and put some Sulfur 8 on there! I actually like Sulfur 8's and WGO's smell, but I couldn't tolerate that bad boy. How in the world do ya'll use MTG, if that has 5% sulfur in it and that Glover's only had 2.5%? I think I will buy the Glover's Ointment, since I smelled that before and it wasn't too bad. WHAT IN THE WORLD makes the liquid form smell so bad?!

Ummmm.....you throwing away products and we have a meeting coming up.....what's up with that. Girl don't be throwing nothing away. LOL

I have used the Glover's as a pre-poo treatment and it smells "special" but I grew up using it as did my mom so it is a necessary evil. Funny thing buy the way MIL used it also so DH knew what it was. He ask me was I going to wash my hair that night or the next day. I questioned him and that is how I found out that his mother used it.

i hated the smell of Glover's. I only wore it out one time and didn't anymore because I was afraid someone who came close to me would think I smelled like that! :rofl:

meka said:
Ummmm.....you throwing away products and we have a meeting coming up.....what's up with that. Girl don't be throwing nothing away. LOL

OOps! I do have about 1/4 of the bottle left. I will BE GLAD TO GIVE IT AWAY! :lol:

i juss bought some of it yesterday too...i was almost out of frenchee so i threw this in with some sulfur 8...the smell i dont even notice any more...smells juss like frenchee to me...no one around me has even commented on the smell of frenchee either

blackhair said:
You could have returned it and get the floral scent.

Nope. I mixed half of it with WGO in its bottle, and there was only 1/4 of the Glover's bottle left. I think I will give it away.

Glover's was made to be a pre poo product. You're supposed to shampoo it out. I guess some products r not for everybody.

Jewell said:
Ya'll I called myself buying some Glover's Dandruff Control Medicine (liquid form in the glass bottle) from Wal-mart yesterday, and silly me, I didn't open it and smell it before buying. I opened it late last night to use it on my scalp, and the SMELL WAS ABSOLUTELY TERRIBLE. I decided to mix it with a half gone bottle of WGO I had, to help, but it was UNBEARABLE.

I put a tiny bit on my scalp, and could not stand the smell, so I threw the whole thing in the trash and put some Sulfur 8 on there! I actually like Sulfur 8's and WGO's smell, but I couldn't tolerate that bad boy. How in the world do ya'll use MTG, if that has 5% sulfur in it and that Glover's only had 2.5%? I think I will buy the Glover's Ointment, since I smelled that before and it wasn't too bad. WHAT IN THE WORLD makes the liquid form smell so bad?!

I purchased the one with the floral fragrance. It's not the best smell but worlds more tolerable than the orginal one.

Champagne_Wishes said:
I purchased the one with the floral fragrance. It's not the best smell but worlds more tolerable than the orginal one.

I will get that one next time. I saw it at the BSS, but I bought the Glover's that I had this time from Wal-mart, and it was the LAST one.

I know Glovers doesn't have the greatest smell but adding some essential oils would have cut down the smell tremendously. I am currently using a mixture of Sulfer8 (entire jar), Glovers (liquid- 4 tablespoon), WGO (1 tablespoon), MTG (5 tablespoon) and carrier oils without any problems with the smell being overpowering. The only real problem I had with Glovers when I first starting using it was that it made my hair very dry so now I apply the mixture to my scalp only and so far I have gained alot of new growth.

CLASSYEBONYGIRL said:
I know Glovers doesn't have the greatest smell but adding some essential oils would have cut down the smell tremendously. I am currently using a mixture of Sulfer8 (entire jar), Glovers (liquid- 4 tablespoon), WGO (1 tablespoon), MTG (5 tablespoon) and carrier oils without any problems with the smell being overpowering. The only real problem I had with Glovers when I first starting using it was that it made my hair very dry so now I apply the mixture to my scalp only and so far I have gained alot of new growth.

This is the first time I heard someone say that glovers made their hair dry and this just might be my problem!! I started using glovers a few weeks ago. Initially I just left it on as a pre poo over night and then washed the next day. Then I put it in a couple of times and left it in. This probably is my culprit of my dry hair. So I guess I need to put something else in with it. Do you think the ointment would be as drying??

dmarie

DMarie said:
This is the first time I heard someone say that glovers made their hair dry and this just might be my problem!! I started using glovers a few weeks ago. Initially I just left it on as a pre poo over night and then washed the next day. Then I put it in a couple of times and left it in. This probably is my culprit of my dry hair. So I guess I need to put something else in with it. Do you think the ointment would be as drying??

dmarie

Yes, Glovers made my hair very dry which lead to breakage. It also made my texturized hair frizzy and straight. My hair was looking like I got a blow out and all the waves and curls were gone.:eek: All of this started when I would just apply Glovers and Sulfer8 to my scalp and leave my hair out without doing any protective styling so now after my hair has been airdried I plait my hair up (box braids) and apply the mixture to my scalp only on a daily basis. By doing this, may hair is doing much better.:grin:

I have never used the ointment before so I am not sure if it would have the same effect but maybe not because the ointment might not have benzyl alcohol which might be the culprit for our hair being dry:mad: . Maybe you could try to do a search on here or on a search engine to see if you can find out the ingredients of the Glovers ointment. I am sure other ladies on the board who are currently using the ointment or who have used the ointment in the past might be able to assist you with the ingredients.

Anyway, I hope your hair will be fine. Try eliminating the Glovers from your regime and see what happens or just apply it to your scalp only.

Good luck!!!:)

I got my MTG today and when I smelled it, I really didn't think it was that bad. I definitely thing it's bearable.

Well if you think the Glovers smells, then I know you can't be interested in the MTG. I purchased a bottle of MTG and tried to cancel my order but it had shipped already and up till yesterday it sat in my cabinet (I threw it out), in it's original plastic bag and it lit up my entire cabinet. Now everytime I open my cabinet the smell is still there and it hits me every time eventhough I only opened it up once to smell it and immediately put the cap back on and put it into the plastic bag it came in. All I can say now is that the smell of 2.5% sulfur is enough (I use the glovers as a pre shampoo treatment) !! I can't imagine having 5% of that smelly stuff on my head.

DMarie

Back