Ode to the Banana Clip!!

wow. Your hair looks great. I thought it was relaxed when I saw the first pics =) I love it both natural and straightened!!!

I think these clips look adorable and cute nowadays, but boy did I hate it when my mom used to style my hair with 'em back in the '80's & '90's. I think I'll pick some up to rock this summer with a braidout.

Nice pics OP!
I use banana clips to make my french rolls, it's definitely a lot easier and more secure than using 1001 bobby pins to 'hold' my natural hair in place. *lol* The 1st pic on the left in my siggy is an example. I plan to experiment more with them come spring/summer. :grin:

How do u do a french roll with a banana clip? It looks really nice!

Kink

I think my hair would break a banana clip. So many things have popped and snapped out of my hair. Your hairstyles are cuuuute and I wish I could wear them :)

I got 1 day out of my first banana clip and 4 out of the 2nd one. My hair and banana clips are not simpatico.

Which sucks because my hair looked freaking AWESOME on the days, let me tell you.

I bought one this week at CVS, and tried it for the first time with a braidout. I wore it to work and it broke on the bottom:ohwell: I was thinking of trying this one I found on eBay for thick hair http://cgi.ebay.com/4-JUMBO-INTERLO...tZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item19b7921b79#****
Anyone tried this?

I've tried those and the teeth break very easily. I have in fact bought 2 so I could use them interchangeably:drunk:

Still waiting on my Ebay ones.

I've been loving my new banana clip.

CIMG0458.jpg

Yeah, I've broken a few, as well. I wonder where I could find larger ones with wider set teeth. The stores around here have average sized ones, but I've seen larger ones before (back in the day)

Yes, the banana clip has been a lifesaver!!!

I "remembered" it when someone posted about it here last year and although I have broken quite a few, I still use them whenever me and my hair feels brave enough.

DSCF1231.jpg

This is a pulling my wash and go up when it looked like it wasn't going to cooperate. It's more than a day old which is why it's so big....(I like it that way)

BananaClip009.jpg

This is at the end of the day and my hair is still a little damp. It still had a little more "growing" to go and was bigger by the next day once the hair completely dried.

BB

I can never figure out how to put these on. Doesn't help that my noggin is huge.

OP I also wanted to say your puff is fierce!

Same for me. I bought a few a while ago and I could never get them to hold my hair or do the style I wanted and they always felt like they would break so I just gave up. But they are so cute and I love the styles that can be made w/ them and I get a lil jealous when I see girls w/ cute styles w/ them. *sigh* :rolleyes:, I guess I'll have to get some more and try again. I'll have 2 dedicate a whole day to practicing in the mirror, lol. And I'll have to try that ponytail first trick too. Thanks 4 the pics ladies, MOTIVATION!!

How'd I miss this thread?? Off to upload my pics.

Okay, here are mine.

I love banana clips for old braid outs and rollersets gone bad!! :giggle:

CIMG2882.jpg

CIMG2883.jpg

Last edited:
The trick to not breaking them is by putting your hair in a pony tail first, close the clip around the ponytial, and then take the pony tail down and fluff hair!!! Trust me this works!!

That's exactly what I do. :yep:

Ooooh, I love wearing banana clips! I wear them mostly during the warmer months...and sideways instead of mohawk style. Here are pics from last summer:

JunePony2.jpg

JunePony.jpg

I've been loving my new banana clip.

CIMG0458.jpg

Very cute styles ladies. I love 'em!

I have tried and tried to use banana clips. My hair is just too thick. Even when I've done the ponytail trick, I can still hardly get it to close. Sometimes I'd do 2 ponytails stacked, to more evenly disperse the hair... it would still break. I've tried the wide ones, the tortoise shell ones... *shrugs* It just ain't happening.

Y'all can see how thick my hair is flat ironed, now think about it in its curly state! :nono: no ma'am. Maybe somebody should invent one with like 2 hinges on the bottom, or something so it can accommodate thicker hair! But then my hair might get caught in the hinges anyway....

You ladies do wonders with the banana clip. I am definitely gonna buy one and see what I can do. I am creatively challenged. LOL.

I wish I could still wear my banana clip, all my hair doesn't fit anymore, even if I split it in half. If I'm less than 4 weeks post I can try and squeezes it really tight in my head, and risk breakage or a headache all day from trying to stuff hair in it.

Last edited:
this is a slopy side pony with a banna clip. i had to put two banana clips together for allll of my hair fit in, dang. i wish they wold make them bigger. :rolleyes: first pic, i cliped a dollar flower on side. :rolleyes:

CIMG1692-vi.jpg
CIMG1695-vi.jpg
CIMG1671-vi.jpg
CIMG1669-vi.jpg

Back