Obia Natural Hair Care Review *Thumbs Up!*

so1913

I've been waiting for someone to start a thread about this line because I knew I couldn't be the only one hooked! I have now been using Obia Natural Hair Care Products for the past 2 or so and I'm totally sold. I've been natural for years looking for the perfect wash n' go combination with products I wouldn't feel guilty about using in my hair because of certain ingredients and came across this line when one of my fav product reviewers posted on IG about it (who later reviewed the product here http://youtu.be/4O7C9a2GXFo). The owner is a chemist and formulated these products to use on her own hair. I'll be reviewing the three products I have been using in the line.

http://www.obianaturalhair.com/aboutus.asp

Curl Enhancing Custard:

Description: This alcohol-free formula hydrates, elongates, and provides super shine to all types of hair. Does not leave a waxy residue or buildup. Infused with argan oil, grape seed oil, and olive oil.
12oz
List Price: $15.00

Ingredients

Purified water (Aqua), Olea Europaea (Olive) Oil, Vitis vinfera (Grape seed) Oil, Argania spinosa (Argan) Oil, Carbomer, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Vegetable Glycerin, Gluconolactone and Sodium Benzoate, Xantham Gum, Fragrance.

My Review: This is my favorite! It's thick and heavy to touch right out the jar, but dries light weight and not oily. It has a light tropical scent, like pina colada. I think the weight of the product in it's wet state is what gives me the best wash n' go results. It distributes easily and smoothly and really holds my curls together preventing frizz. It can have a firm hold the more you use, but you can also use something under it to lessen the hold. I use Kinky Curly Knot Today to detangle and leave some in along with applying the Obia Natural Curl Moisture Cream, which I will discuss next. I do prefer somewhat of a firm hold on the first day because it helps the wash n' go last longer and it softening up up as the days go by, giving me a full look still having definition which I love. I diffuse dry and have a great wash n' go that lasts for DAYS. I'm usually a 2 to 3 day girl at the most when it comes to wash n' goes, but since using Obia Curl Enhancing Custard, I've been able to go a whole week without re-doing my wash n' go. Yes, I have ONE wash day a week now!!! This has cut a lot of time during the week in the morning getting ready for work, and one less thing to have to fuss with when I have other things to focus my energy on. The product washes out easily and I've noticed no build up. Its a great curling custard! I've also used this product to slick my hair back and buns and pony puffs, it controls edges like not other without getting helmet hard or flaky!

Curl Moisture Cream

Description: Use to add moisture and hydration to your hair. Infused with argan oil, lavender oil, grape seed oil, vitamin E, and burdock root. Promotes hair growth without leaving your hair weighed down.

4oz
List Price: $10.00
8oz
List Price: $18.00

Ingredients
Purified Water (Aqua), Behentrimonium Methosulfate and Cetearyl Alcohol, Vitis vinfera (Grape seed) Oil, Vegetable Glycerin, Olea Europaea (Olive) Oil, Argania spinosa (Argan) oil, Gluconolactone and Sodium Benzoate, Arctium lappa (Burdock Root), Lavandula officinalis (Lavender) Oil, Cocos nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Glycine soya (Soybean) Oil, Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E), Aloe Barbadensis (Aloe Vera) Oil, Fragrance (Parfum).

My Review: Another wonderful product!!! As I mentioned before, I use this under the curl enhancing custard to help seal in moisture and add conditioning to my hair. It's a light, white fluffy almost weightless cream (so those looking for something heavier may find this too light). As soon as it touches your hair, it acts like a detangler, your fingers slide right through your hair. The scent is very nice, stronger than the custard and lingers, but not offensive. I also use it in the morning sometimes to refresh my hair after spritzing it with the Obia Curl Hydration Spray.

Curl Hydration Spray

Description: Use daily to moisturize your hair and scalp, or to refresh your style. Infused with argan oil, rose oil, and vitamin E. 8oz

List Price: $10.00

Ingredients

Purified Water (Aqua), Vegetable Glycerin, Argania Spinosa (Argan) Oil, Rose Oil, Cocos nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Soybean Oil, Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E), Gluconolactone and Sodium Benzoate, Fragrance (Parfum).

My Review:A good curl refresher that I use daily every morning or when I want to give some extra moisture to my hair mid day. The spray is a fine mist, so it will not soak your hair or cause frizz. I light fresh fragrance and great ingredients.

These are the three products I mainly use, and this my result of a fresh wash 'n go using them:

MvhH8kmzaskMu34PGzsVxnz1Ei-vi.jpg

I find the prices reasonable with flat rate shipping of $2.99! She also offers a trail pack of the three products I discuss above for $10. She does promo discounts frequently from what I've seen, the last being a 50% off everything flash sale a few weeks ago. There is a sale going on right now for 20% off the curl enhancing custard using promo code "curlkit" for the remainder of the month of September.

I will be trying out the shampoo bars next. I have both the Neem and Tea Tree and Coconut Shea Bars. I will post and update in this review once I've gotten a chance to use them

Whew! I forgot what it was like to post one of these reviews, it's been so long! But I had to get on here and share since I havent seen anyone discussing it yet. I definitely recommend trying this line.

HHG!

so1913

Love it Too! I have the Curl Moisture Crème and the Hydration Spritz. Haven't tried the Spritz yet.

Fast Shipping. Great CS. And when I purchased mine, there was a 50% Sale. Can't argue with that.

Go Obia!
I've met her a few times through mutual friends/ circles and she is super nice. I'm excited to see that her line is getting the attention and raves that it deserves.

@yaya24

Great Ingredients too. Nice Line. :lick: Have You Tried yet?

I keep waiting for her to Launch her Deep Conditioner. It keeps saying: "Coming Soon":sad:

I have not used any of the products, (I try to stick with my staples bc my texlaxed hair is picky) but I don't mind trying out new conditioners or anything that can be rinsed out. So I will have to try out the conditioner when it is available.

My best friend is natural & swears by the curl enhancing custard and the hydration spray.

Shipping is SUPER fast! I placed an order 12:30am on 9/17, received a shipment notification later that same morning between like 10-11am, and my package arrived yesterday on 9/19.

Will be trying one of the shampoo bars tomorrow. I hope I like it! I've only tried a few poo bars in the past, can't say any of them wowed me.

So far so good, used the tea tree & neem poo bar. It smells good, I thought it may have a strong tea tree smell, but not really. The scents mix very well and lingers after rinsing. It worked up into a very rich lather with a few swipes from the bar and rinsed clean without stripping nor leaving a coated feeling I've gotten with other bars. I followed my regular routine mentioned in the OP and good results. I'll try a few more times before making a final decision on it.

Just sharing current promos!

"curlkit" = 20% Curl enhancing cream through 9/30/13

or

"tenobia" = 10% entire order through 12/31/13

so1913: Ok, I got them a couple of days ago and tried them that day. The shampoo bar was icky for me. It left a residue and my hair just puffed out. I never could get it to lay smooth or clump after that- My hair was soft and I had curls, it was just not a lot of clumping and or shine. It was more like a really curly soft fro. I didn't hate the products, but I am not in love right now either. :lol:

What did you use exactly? Maybe I need to clarify my hair and try it again. I did have some really heavy afroveda on it before i washed with the shampoo bar so that may be it. I didn't mind, it was still pretty cute and it's SUPER SOFT. I also didn't use the Knot Today as a leave-in and that may have affected my results as well. Our hair is really similar so I was hoping for the more controlled look like you got with your wng..

ETA: I used the coconut shea bar, the cream and the custard.

Last edited:
biancaelyse aww thank you!

FindingMe aww man, I was hoping you'd have a good review :( It does look like we have similar hair types. To wash I had been using Kinky Curly Come Clean followed by the knot today to detangle and leave in for a while. I like to start with a really clean surface. I've used the Tea Tree & Neem Poo bar twice now and haven't noticed any coating (which I've experienced with other bars), and seems to rinse clean. I'm not sure if my whether or not my hair being free from build up before hand has anything to do with that or not.

The moisture cream and knot today will definitely soften the hold of the custard, so you have to play with how much to use to get the hold you want as well as using the right amount of custard. I'm getting about 4 uses a jar, using it once a week, so a jar lasts me about a month. I also keep my hair in four sections and apply the custard working one section at a time and applying to each sub section, so each section, I'll part the hair 3 or more times to apply the product making sure I get good even coverage. This past weekend I added the moisture cream to each section before going back to work the custard through. I think this allowed it to sink into the hair more before applying the styler. I did not keep my hair drenched/dripping wet by applying more water during the process (which I sometimes do) and my came out with even more defined/controlled curls and dried faster. I'm on 4 hair and the curls are still looking fresh and defined!

Oh, to maintain I've just been spritzing once or twice a day with the moisture mist and coconut oil on occassion.

Last edited:
biancaelyse aww thank you!

FindingMe aww man, I was hoping you'd have a good review :( It does look like we have similar hair types. To wash I had been using Kinky Curly Come Clean followed by the knot today to detangle and leave in for a while. I like to start with a really clean surface. I've used the Tea Tree & Neem Poo bar twice now and haven't noticed any coating (which I've experienced with other bars), and seems to rinse clean. I'm not sure if my whether or not my hair being free from build up before hand has anything to do with that or not.

The moisture cream and knot today will definitely soften the hold of the custard, so you have to play with how much to use to get the hold you want as well as using the right amount of custard. I'm getting about 4 uses a jar, using it once a week, so a jar lasts me about a month. I also keep my hair in four sections and apply the custard working one section at a time and applying to each sub section, so each section, I'll part the hair 3 or more times to apply the product making sure I get good even coverage. This past weekend I added the moisture cream to each section before going back to work the custard through. I think this allowed it to sink into the hair more before applying the styler. I did not keep my hair drenched/dripping wet by applying more water during the process (which I sometimes do) and my came out with even more defined/controlled curls and dried faster. I'm on 4 hair and the curls are still looking fresh and defined!

Oh, to maintain I've just been spritzing once or twice a day with the moisture mist and coconut oil on occassion.

so1913: OK, so I did as you and used KK Come Clean then KK Knot Today. Then I applied the moisture cream and then the custard. SUCCESS! I had the curl definition of Kinky Kurly, but without the crunch! :grin: The KK products made the difference for me - I think

Also, when you use the shampoo bar, do you use that in lieu of the Come Clean and how often do you use? 1/week? Have you ever used the shea one?

Last edited:
i know, i know...

:needpics::lol:

hairobia_zps9321827e.jpg

Came out pretty and super soft.. not hard and crunchy. The curl definition and shine is similar to Kinky Kurly Curling Custard but a LOT softer, without the crunch....JUST WHAT I WAS HOPING FOR! I am on Day1 - I'll let you know how it holds up over the week...

ETA: I also noticed it elongated my curls a little, too - Not as much shrinkage as I usually have because my bangs were in my eye after drying (which they never are) and the overall length was just a little longer on the whole head

Last edited:
FindingMe I seriously feel like I'm looking at my own hair! It came out great! I hope you have lasting results over the week, my hair actually looks better now than on day one and I'm on day 5!!

I've only used the poo bar these past two weeks in place of the come clean. Prior to, I had been using come clean weekly for quite a while. Since using Obia products my wash n' go's last Sunday to Sunday, so washing one time a week! My schedule has been hectic so not having to worry about my hair during the week has been a blessing.

I haven't tried the coconut shea one yet.

Last edited:
FindingMe I seriously feel like I'm looking at my own hair! It came out great! I hope you have lasting results over the week, my hair actually looks better now than on day one and I'm on day 5!! I've only used the poo bar these past two weeks in place of the come clean. Prior to, I had been using come clean weekly for quite a while. Since using Obia products my wash n' go's last Sunday to Sunday, so washing one time a week! My schedule has been hectic so not having to worry about my hair during the week has been a blessing. I haven't tried the coconut shea one yet.

so1913: I know, right! When I saw your WnG results I was like that's how my hair looks after a good WnG so I KNEW I had to try. I am trying to simplify and get to mostly one product line so I thought I would try this one. I am all about supporting our fellow entrepreneurs and prior to this had used KBB, Afroveda, and Kinky Curly primarily. I really love the definition and shine I got with Kinky Curly but I hate the actual feel of the product and when it gets wet when I work out it turns slimy. Plus it dries hard. I put up with it bc I like how it looked when styled.

But Obia is giving me that same look without the crunchiness. I am super excited about the possibilities!! I have my first workout today so we'll see how it holds up after that. Hopefully no slimies. I'll keep you posted. I did have to use KK Come Clean and the Knot Today under the Obia cream and custard tho- I will try the Shea bar again with Knot Today next time I shampoo to see if it works better.

so1913: I know, right! When I saw your WnG results I was like that's how my hair looks after a good WnG so I KNEW I had to try. I am trying to simplify and get to mostly one product line so I thought I would try this one. I am all about supporting our fellow entrepreneurs and prior to this had used KBB, Afroveda, and Kinky Curly primarily. I really love the definition and shine I got with Kinky Curly but I hate the actual feel of the product and when it gets wet when I work out it turns slimy. Plus it dries hard. I put up with it bc I like how it looked when styled.

But Obia is giving me that same look without the crunchiness. I am super excited about the possibilities!! I have my first workout today so we'll see how it holds up after that. Hopefully no slimies. I'll keep you posted. I did have to use KK Come Clean and the Knot Today under the Obia cream and custard tho- I will try the Shea bar again with Knot Today next time I shampoo to see if it works better.

FindingMe Awesomeness! Hopefully it will hold up.

The only reason I ended up using the knot today is because I currently don't have another rinse out conditioner. I need it to detangle after cleansing so I end up just leaving it in since it's suited for that as well. I haven't tried with just the moisture cream and custard alone. I could rinse out the KKKT to try it, but I don't see the point of wasting it that way lol. I may try to skip it and use the moisture cream to detangle in its place and see how that works since it seems like the moisture cream has a lot of slip, but can't say whether or not the knot today has anything to do with that. I set out months ago to figure out how to speed up the wash day process, but at the same time not neglect my hair. I just don't have time or patience anymore to do all the pampering and having hours long wash day sessions. I now do an overnight oil treatment with an ayurvedic oil blend and coconut oil and hope that gives me the extra conditioning I skip during the actual wash process.

So if I wasn't sold before, I'm completely sold now!!

I FINALLY made it to the salon for a trim which I just knew deep down inside would be more of a cut because it had been 9 months since my last one. Sometimes I'm good going every 4 months, but I have bouts where I get wrapped up in life and go way past that, and sometimes I need to get more trimmed off the ends than I would like. I go to Anthony Dickey at Hair Rules salon, he's been cutting my hair for the past 6 years even before he opened the salon. He inspected my hair before going to the sink for a wash and commented on how much it had grown. I told him I was afraid that he would need to cut a lot off since I hadn't been in a while. He told me it didn't look too bad and not too worry, he would be gentle lol. My hair was blow dried to prep for the trim and as he inspected it in it's blown out state before he started cutting he told me how healthy and moisturized my hair was and that he believed this is the best shape he has ever seen my hair . I was like really????? He said he recalls always telling me my hair or my ends were on the dry side, but it was in very good shape. I told him I just knew I would get a lecture, but he said whatever you've been doing is working because your hair isn't in bad shape at all even after all this time. He reminded me he'd be the first to say otherwise (true, he doesn't hold back lol). He said he honestly had no critique for me, just to keep it up.

All that to say now I know for a fact this line does not cause dryness and in fact seems to be keeping my hair well conditioned and moisturized. I have been using these products since June (I checked when I first ordered). I'm extra happy to know that not only is it making my hair "look" good, but more importantly, its good for my hair.

OMG.....the shipping is amazing, ordered thursday rcvd on sat the only other companies that ship fast that i have tried is komaza and sage. Thr spray smells really nice like a perfume, the cream seems okay need to try it again now the custard applies smooth but not much slip when compared to kccc or komaza califia pudding but a stronger hold than the second, curl definition out the ying yang , only concern will need so much to cover my head... Otherswise will repurchase the spray n custard for sure. By the way type 4b hair.

I learned through the BF thread that there will be a 40% BF sale!!!

Yep, still using these products! I skipped the KCKT and only used obia moisture cream and custard on sunday and still had good results. I'm still able to get through a whole week without re-styling using this line.

Back