Non-protective stylers: When do you wash and style your hair?

mango387

Okay. I had fun with protective styling, because truth be told, I got to be as lazy as my heart desired. Yes, I washed and deep conditioned my hair weekly, but I didn't worry about styling it at all.

Yesterday, I turned 24, and I have been feeling this urge to do more in every aspect of my life including hair. Therefore, I want to ask you busy ladies who wear the pretty rollersets/flat-ironed (preferably relaxed) styles three questions.

A. When do you wash and style your hair? (Weekend/Weekday/
Morning/Noon)
B. How long does it take to do your hair from start to finish?
C. How do you maintain your style?

I would love to schedule a time for taking care of my hair.

Last edited:
A. When do you wash and style your hair?
I wash and style my hair twice a week. Saturday or Sunday and Wednesday. I might even throw in another day if I have something special planned.

B. How long does it take to do your hair from start to finish? About 2 hours unless I air dry overnight (Wednesdays most likely).

C. How do you maintain your style? pin curls and a bonnet. I also do a lot of faux updos once the hair has fallen. Banana clips with my bangs out, mini clamps holding up fallen curls, flat twists or a headband thrown in the front. Be creative :lol:

ETA: Happy Belated!

Morning/Noon)
Saturdays or Sundays.
B. How long does it take to do your hair from start to finish?
About 3-4 hours. Including DC'ing and shampooing.
C. How do you maintain your style?
Pincurls, for the most part.

I go back and forth, this weekend I had so much to do I didn't have time to rollerset, and all that jazz, so I'll probably do the lo-mani braidout thing this week. HTH.

Morning/Noon) I don't have a set schedule - because I work from home, I just do it whenever I feel like it ;-) that can be any day or time of day
B. How long does it take to do your hair from start to finish? About 2.5 hours max, including DC and deep CO
C. How do you maintain your style? Rollersetting or flexirods under the ionic dryer only takes about 45 minutes til my hair is dry

Okay. I had fun with protective styling, because truth be told, I got to be as lazy as my heart desired. Yes, I washed and deep conditioned my hair weekly, but I didn't worry about styling it at all.

Yesterday, I turned 24, and I have been feeling this urge to do more in every aspect of my life including hair. Therefore, I want to ask you busy ladies who wear the pretty rollersets/flat-ironed (preferably relaxed) styles three questions.

Morning/Noon) Saturday and Wednesdays
B. How long does it take to do your hair from start to finish? 2-3 hours. I dc as my pre-poo on dry hair, poo and roller set and airdry. The reason for the 2-3 hours is because I may leave my dc on while doing other things.
C. How do you maintain your style? At night I put a little KeraCare headress and healthy ends on my ends and do a dry set. Nightly it only takes me about 10 minutes total and in the morning I finger comb and go.

I would love to schedule a time for taking care of my hair.

My answers in purple and happy belated b'day fellow Virgo.

A. I wash my hair on Sundays
B. It takes me about 3 hours (wash, DC, and rollerset or flat iron)
C. I either wrap it or pin curl it at night

Morning/Noon) Sunday Morning

B. How long does it take to do your hair from start to finish? Lately I have been air-drying & using no heat so in all about 3 hrs

C. How do you maintain your style? In Hide Your Hair Challge so I'm bunning seven days a week and I moisturize daily and wear a scalf at bedtime

I wash/condition my hair 2x a week. Sometimes that second wash will be a co-wash. Just depends on how lazy I feel or what my hair seems to need.

Mostly I blow out my hair with the dryer and a round brush - on a low/warm heat. If I want a sleek straight look then I will lightly silken with my flat iron. Otherwise I'll set it with Caruso rollers. Takes from start to finish about and hour and a half either way.
I will also just wash and bun or updo if I want to lay off the heat. I tend to follow the theory of enjoying my hair and just being smart about the styling methods.

At night, I will sometimes pin curl, or set on satin covered foam rollers, or cross wrap. Sometimes I just put on a bonnet without doing anything to my hair but in the morning finger comb and set on carusos.... I'm super simple these days.

bumping.... i need to know more a/b this too. i'm only neck length so i usually wear my hair down and curly, but sometimes i throw it up in a clip. i will most likely do this without doin a bun though. i'm not a bun type of girl. i'll have to wear my hair up as i am in the military when it gets longer. i jus want to know if people experience breakage from jus wearing a clip...

Back